Sigma Sport BC 1606L DTS Wireless + Cadence Computers

BC 1606L DTS Wireless + Cadence

The BC 1606L DTS wireless provides a better overview of the essential information during a ride by hiding the total accumulated functions and cadence if not installed. The backlight gives optimal readability of this information even in the dark. An integr

Rob   Road Racer [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

- feature set would be nice if it actually worked

- speed transmitter mount requires constant readjustment
- speed transmitter requires very close proximity to the magnet to work.
- short battery life
- consistent dropouts from the speed sensor

I picked this up because I liked the set of features and thought the convenience of the wireless transmitters would be worth the price, oh how wrong I was. Out of the box the speed transmitter constantly cut out rendering any distance totals, or speed averages useless. I tried multiple fixes including replacing all batteries (several times in a month), adjusting the speed transmitter closer to the magnet, eliminating possible sources of EMI (cell phone, lights, etc..) due to several "too many signals" error messages, and modifying the speed transmitter mounting system (trying to reduce movement while riding). After all of these efforts the dropouts improved, but still happen at least once a ride and requires me to adjust the speed transmitter before and during each ride. I finally gave up on and started using my phones GPS to track distance and speed and only use this for cadence.

I would highly recommend avoiding this computer.

ponyboy1995   Recreational Rider [Jan 10, 2011]
Strength:

-Easy to install
-Accurate
-Nice large screen with multiple functions displayed.
- Easy to use
-Inexpensive
- Wireless

None found yet.

I have had this unit for about 6 months. It was easy to install. I have read in other reviews that the sensor and the magnets have to be almost touching for it to read correctly. I have not had this problem. Mine reads fine and the sensor & magnets are no closer then on my wired units on other bikes. I have also read that battery life is bad. I have not changed a battery in the 6 months that I have had it so again I am happy with that. I will probably buy a set of batteries just to have ready.

Similar Products Used: Sigma wired
martian4000   Road Racer [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

Clear Readout

See Review Above

Poor design, especially the speed sensor mounting system. I super glued the two parts or mine together and cut the back side lip off to eliminate any spoke rub and used zip ties. Also mounted to the front of fork to reduce any possible chance of sensor getting sucked into spokes. All sensor (speed & cadence) need to be mounted on same side or the bike or they don't both work. In my case the left.

Similar Products Used: Cateye
reedgann   Road Racer [Jan 29, 2010]
Strength:

looks like a cyclocomputer

everything

This thing is a horrible piece of junk. I'll just cut to the chase:
-magnet must be so close to the sensor for the sensor to work that more often than not the magnet was hitting the sensor just to get a reading.
-eats batteries like crazy
-the sensor mount is poorly designed and never stayed put, requiring constant adjustment while riding. This is both dangerous and irritating.

Similar Products Used: cateye strada wireless, ciclosport
carl bentley   Commuter [Oct 13, 2009]
Strength:

Ease of use, big screen, backlit.

Stopped reading whenever led lights or gps were switched on.

I have owned several sigma computers and have always found them to be easy to use and fit.I used the BC1606L wireless for only a short time though on my touring bike. I found that whenever I had my flashing LED light and/or my separate gps unit that the computer would stop reading and just act as if the bike was not moving. This happened with 2 diffeent brands of LED lights and the problem was never solved. I ended up going back to my wired sigma on my touring bike and the wireless sigma went onto my mountain bike only. No other problems apart from this.

Similar Products Used: Sigma 1106, Sigma ROX 9, Cat Eye products in the past.
Peter Recumbent   Recreational Rider [May 04, 2009]
Strength:

Wireless, readable screens, fairly easy to install, inexpensive, can be used on two bike (with additional sensors and mount) and stats accumulated.

difficult to follow manual. Speed sensor dropouts make it only marginally usable.

This unit has lots of good info on several screens. It is probably the cheapest of its type. 1 unit is usable on two bikes if you buy additional sensors. However, the speed sensor quits on mine after 1/2 hour even with a brand new battery, ruining the worth of an otherwise good computer. Restarting the sensor on the gois difficult and only a temporary fix.

Similar Products Used: none
roadscrape   Recreational Rider [Dec 25, 2008]
Strength:

Data features, text readability, ease of use, maintains data during battery change

Sensor battery life/readout reliability

I had the wired version without cadence and really liked the data features and readability. I wanted cadence and was tired of dealing with wires (I have a habit of tearing the wires out of the base units), so got the DTS1606L wireless with cadence.

I did do a bit of research first and saw that all wireless computers have issues. I found the installation and setup of the 1606L fairly easy. It did take a bit of adjustment to the sensor/magnet distance for reliable readings. Once set I've been happy with the performance. I've had no signal interference.

Like other reviewers, I've found the sensor battery indicators less than accurate. A couple of times I've experienced signal loss from speed/distance or cadence - but never both at the same time. Inserting a new battery fixed the situation both times, but not getting ride data is irritating at best.

Why not make a sensor that has speed/distance and cadence all in one unit?

I now carry a spare sensor battery in my kit for replacement on the road. It's a quick job when needed and a lot less irritating and expensive than tearing the wire from a base unit.

I really do like the computer features and easy to read text of Sigma computers (to my old eyes the Cateye readout is unacceptable).

However, I would try a different brand of wireless computer upon reading consistent reviews of one that has better battery longevity/reliability.

Similar Products Used: Sigma 1606 wired, various Cateyes
house   Road Racer [Dec 15, 2008]
Strength:

Attractive unit, can stem mount, easy to read.

Will it or won't it work today? What sort of mood is it in?
Illogical set-up procedure with silly instructions.
Battery indicator feature is useless.
Held on by a rubber band.
Speed sensor and magnet must be just about kissing for it to work.

I have 2 of these, one on my road bike and one on my MTB. Both have had the same issues. The set-up is not as easy as my old sigma, which served me well for 5 years. Once set-up, the screen is easy to read. The main problem, as others have noted, is that it is very temperamental with regards to it's sensor for speed. I have discovered thru trial and error that the 'low battery indicator' on the sender unit is not accurate. Twice now, the units have not worked, leaving me and the bike shop puzzled. We replaced the batteries, despite the battery indicator showing full strength, and they worked fine.

Similar Products Used: Specialized turbo, topeak
Eric   Road Racer [Oct 13, 2008]
Strength:

Large screen

Very finicky
Looses data
Taps spokes

By far the worst computer that I've owned. I'm used to the "set and forget" types of computers, but the 1606 is constantly needing to be readjusted and looses data. Not to mention that the magnet on the speedometer needs to be so ridiculously close to the spokes that it's in constant danger of being sucked into the wheel and torn off.

The only reason I give it a 2 is because of the large screen and strong backlight.