Blackburn Neuro 5.0 Heart Rate Monitors

Blackburn Neuro 5.0 Heart Rate Monitors

Cycle Computer / Heart Rate Monitor
All major cyclometer functions with HR Monitor. Five programmable HR zone which can be viewed real time. Stopwatch, Lap Timer, and Cadence Sensor.

[Sep 20, 2012]
Robert

Strength:

I have had this cyclocomputer since mid-2010. It has a huge display with all the information I want on the screen at once. I learned years ago to train using my HR, but I also find Cadence important, so having both on the display at once is a really useful thing to me. I've had computers in the past where the ride time is not a permanent display element, it is one of the features you "scroll" through. To me that the time is always on display is one of the great things about this computer.

I also quite like the lap timer feature because I cycle commute and sometimes run the lap timer for the second half of my day just to see how it turned out compared to the first half. I also use it for the days I use the final 10 km of my ride as an "interval" to see how I did with that day's effort.

Installation was easy, and I really appreciate the stem mount, it has worked brilliantly for me.

The "top" button--the one that is pressed and held for putting the cadence or HR in the little display area at the top right is sticky so more often than not it triggers the backlight to come on when I don't want that (and the backlight of course drains the battery a LOT faster).
The lap timer would be more useful if there was a split button. As it is, to time two laps takes two presses of the start/stop button.
The price of a second transmitter is a bit steep or I would get one for a bike I'm about to prepare as my bad weather commuter.

This is an ideal cyclocomputer for someone who rides for fitness like I do, or even trains for racing or triathlons. The multi-area display is excellent for displaying so much information that you want.

OVERALL
[Jan 10, 2009]
Ireland

Strength:

Love the 5 programmable HR zones.
Love the cadence feature.
Love the stem mount.
Love all the data available at one time on the screen.
Can see time spent in HR Zones in real-time.

Little plastic tab on stem mount was broken off.

While I have only used this for a short time (a few months) I have been very happy with it. Set-up was easy and straight-forward. I love the no wires! The HR monitor works well and allows me to record time spent in HR Zones 1-5. It came with a bar mount and a stem mount. I prefer the stem mount. You simply pull off the nut on the top of the stem (where the fork comes up), slap down the mount and replace the nut. Very clean! Only one complaint: the tiny little plastic tab that sort of "locks" the unit in place on the mount was broken off. I cut a piece of electrical tape and placed it on the mount, under where the unit sits to act as a shim and it works fine. The unit slides on and off fine and there is no chance of it popping off mid-ride. Still, bummer about the little tab. I could probably take the whole thing back to Performance (they will take anything back; you have to love them) but honestly, it's not really an issue. I like the cadence feature and the fact that you can replace the battery in the HR strap quite easily, with an easy to find battery. Try that with a Polar! The unit seems fairly water resistant as it has been through a couple rain rides with no problem. The instruction manual is well laid out and the device came with a disc with the instruction manual loaded. Now I can just look up how to use certain features or how to replace a battery on my computer instead of trying to find the manual.
I gave it a 4 for overall rating because the little tab was broken off on the stem mount.
For value I gave it a 5, especially since Performance matched Nashbars' MUCH lower price.