Polar CS100 Heart Rate Monitors

CS100

Polar CS100 Heart Rate Monitor has the following features: Wireless ECG accurate heart rate. Polar OwnZone?, Polar OwnCal?, Polar OwnCode?, Target zones with visual alarm, Target zones with audible alarm, Maximum heart rate of total exercise.

Mike   [Feb 26, 2013]
Strength:

does exactly what it should when set up properly, affordable, reasonably large digit display of data for my vintage eyes. Have never had problems picking up HR, I just wet pickup with saliva if I want immediate feedback, or just wait a couple minutes until I'm sweating does the trick too. I also like the mounting systems for head unit and fork sensors

bit of a pain to replace battery in sensor by splitting the case, but much cheaper than buying a new sensor. May work better with non-standard magnet

have not had any problems with mine at all- it seems very sensitive to magnet strength however and has worked much better with the round style cateye brand magnet I used. When the battery dies in the fork mounted sensor, I thought it was ridiculous that you had to replace the entire sensor, so I carefully sliced the case in half at the joint line, installed a new battery, then epoxied the case back together so it would be waterproof. Repeat when needed, has worked fine after I did that. If you try to replace the sensor battery yourself, be careful with a sharp razor blade or you'll end up slicing your finger(s) rather than the case, but I'm a cheapskate. Fortunately, batteries seem to last a long time in my unit

john finch   [Oct 12, 2012]
Strength:

looks the part

heart rate monitor never works, really annoying.

dont waste your money never works properly bin it!!!!!!

Brad Clark   [Sep 15, 2012]
Strength:

Easy set-up.

Heart rate monitor rarely functions properly, if at all.

I have had a few of these Polar HR Monitors, and they are all fickle, at best. My current CS100 logs my speed and distance (though not very accurate), but the heart rate monitor almost never works. Spend your money on a different product.

Retondaro   Road Racer [Feb 23, 2011]
Strength:

It had all information I needed, but just when it works

Need a umbrella an a shock absorber for it! Chinese products resist more! There is a delay to show the real speed.

I needed a heart rate monitor that should be wireless, with cadence, and that could show hear rate, speed and time to be used in TT competitions. i chose Polar because I had an S150 that works very well.

I bought 3, because I have 3 bikes. And I had problems with all. I suppose they was project to work indoor in a training roller. CS 100 do not resist road shimmy and rain. All of I bought had problems. they died 2 times under warranty, each one. It is a deception!

Similar Products Used: Echowell, Serfas. Just a simple monitor, but reliable!
Tom Bartholomew   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2010]
Strength:

Provides intelligent read outs of the most important
Info, speed, distance, HR

More options than one needs

I found a good deal on EBay and bought before I read the mostly negative reviews on your site. I expected the worst. I feel compelled to submit a review as my experience has been all good! Installation was straight forward and the function has been ideal. Can't believe these reviews sometimes

aaronadelstein   Road Racer [Jul 02, 2010]
Strength:

Consistent (at least mine is)
Inexpensive
Very convenient to use with both cycling computer and watch
Good display

Proximity to sensor needs to be very close

Wow, so many bad reviews. I haven't had any of these same problems with mine. I've been riding with it for a little over a year, and I have a mount and sensor on both my TT and Road bikes, so I can switch it back and forth. Very convenient. You have to get the sensor super close to the magnet (within 4mm) so not a big margin for error, but I have had no problems- it's been much more consistent than my previous CatEye, and it has better features for the same price. And I can use the HRM with my watch too.

Similar Products Used: Cateye (can't remember the model)
scomer   Recreational Rider [Jun 03, 2010]
Strength:

Ease of installation; large screen

Product reliability; company making it.

The CS100 is easy to install as are most wireless units. Went belly up with first battery change. Only cost me $100. The Polar CS600 cost me $600 plus another $240 for installation and it never worked. Needless to say after spending $1000 on just 2 Polar products and having them both fail so miserably, I will not be sending any more money to this company. Also note that 2 of my local bike shops refuse to carry Polar products.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, SportsInstruments, Garmin
Bumblebee Man   Road Racer [May 05, 2010]
Strength:

Works fine as a heart rate monitor.
I like the power save feature.

Crap as a speedometer (see above): it doesn't register speed or distance under approx 10km/h.

Yeah, crap! Don't buy one, especially if you intend to use it as a speedometer.
I’ve had mine for nearly 3 years, so I don’t know if any of the following issues have been rectified.

As the other reviewer suggested, this unit doesn't register speed or distance under about 10km/h!! What's up with that?! So, too bad if you do a massive, steep climb at 9.5km/h, because there’ll be no record of it. I found this the most disappointing ‘feature’.

I also found it difficult to calibrate the distance with my trusty old Cateye Mity 2. I don’t know if this was because of the “no distance record under 10km/h” thing, or because it misses sensing the occasional wheel revolution. Anyway, after I discovered that it doesn’t register at low speeds, I gave up any idea using it as a speedometer.

I suppose the mounting bracket is nifty, but I busted one of the four attachment ‘nubs’ in about the second week. I must admit this was probably user error, but I didn’t know I had to be so gentle. :-)

When it comes to dealing with a bit of rain, this is the worse unit I’ve had, be it a watch, speedometer or heart rate monitor. One day I got stuck in a moderately heavy downpour, and the screen went totally blank! I thought it was toast, but it came back to life about 15mins later, and still works.

I’ve read on forums that the CS200 isn’t much better.

Hmmm, I’m looking for positives…....ok, it comes with a T31 Coded transmitter (T31c), which is compatible with many other Polar units, including my S725x. It’s easy to use. I don’t mind the estimated calorie expenditure feature; some say that this is woefully inaccurate, but it doesn’t seem to bad to me, and, besides, it ‘knows’ my sex, weight, and that I’m riding a bike. The display is nice and large. These units are now pretty cheap on line. The display can be turned off when not in use, which I assumes prolongs battery life –- I wish my S725x had this feature.

Anyway, I still use it as a heart rate monitor on my 2 ‘dry day’ bikes, and it does this job pretty well.

Similar Products Used: Polar A3, S725x and Polar Edge.
Gregg Rennie   Triathlete [Jul 25, 2009]
Strength:

Seemed reasonably priced when I bought it and it does actually record some decent info when it's working. When you add the price of additional sensors, simply because the batteries are dead, it isn't quite so cheap.
- The polar site is decent with a good diary to record your training. Althought the newest version isn't as good as last years version.

- Keeps losing signal from sensors and goes into pause mode
- Have to buy new sensors when batteries are dead (which is quite quick) and there's no way to tell if the batteries are dead except it doesn't seem to pick up the signal anymore.
- HR belt does pick up signal as well as others I've used. Have to "wet" them before use or they don't pick up HR until you get sweaty.

Well, after (only) 13 months the CS100 finally died, and I wasn't a bit sorry it did. Now I can replace it with a computer/HRM that actually works. My saga began when after only a couple of months I couldn't get it to recognize the speed sensor. Since Polar has decided to engineer their products with non-replacable batteries, I had to buy a new speed sensor! The new one worked but I found that it often stopped recording and went into pause mode. I do a bit of road racing and it is very frustrating to do an entire race without HR data because the HR sensor didn't recognize the signal before I started my ride. If you start to ride before it recognizes the HR it never records this data. During a race this is absolutely an unacceptable pain. It is also frustrating to look down at the display to have it say "paused" when you're pedaling at 25 mph and (you think) your HR is in the red. I replaced it with a Garmin 305 (refurb), which is an absolute wonder, for not that much more money. BTW, the CS100 died (I think) because I use it during stationary bike rides at the gym on bad days and it got too wet from sweat, since I have to keep it inside my bibs because placing it on the trainer display is too far away ?!?.

Similar Products Used: - Shimano flight deck (I love the virtual cadence but no HRM)
- Garmin 305 (an absolutely wonderful training tool)
Ireland   Road Racer [Jul 06, 2008]
Strength:

Coded transmission works well.
Easy to set-up.
Love the on-stem mount!
Easy to use.
Clean mounting and no wires!

Overheats and the unit re-sets. You loose all your current data.

Worked fine, with no problems of transmission from either the chest strap or speed sensor. THEN, during the first hot (90deg) race of the season, right when I really could have used the data of distance and HR, the screen turned black and it re-set everything. All current data was gone! This never happened before during cool weather training rides. I discovered the problem was heat. It seems unbelievable, but when there is not a good stiff wind blowing over the unit, it over-heats. I started to notice the re-setting always happened on steep hills in full sun. I bought it last Oct. and never had any indication of what it's problem was because the weather was cooling down, then the first race in April, it showed it's huge fault. Will try and take it back since the weather here in the CA central valley is hot from April to Sept. It might work fine if you live in cooler climates. I really liked it, so I'm bummed about this huge weakness.

Similar Products Used: Various Cat-Eye, Vetta, Polar, and VDO computers.