Polar CS200cad Heart Rate Monitors

CS200cad

The wireless CS200 is a true cycling computer that gives you all your cycling speed and distance information, along with your heart rate data. With the ability to link to your PC, the CS200 is more than just a cycle computer. Easy to reach button design t

miaomiao   Recreational Rider [Nov 11, 2011]
Strength:

very comfy chest strap. head unit picks up heart rate signal flawlessly. backlight for night riding. easy to setup (the head unit). max/min HR zone limit. workouts can be downloaded.

sealed/disposable speed and cadence sensors. hard to find correct positions of sensors relative to the head unit. carbon frame/fork might disrupt the signal from the sensors (according to polar tech rep). head unit just freezes if it receives no signal after a while

had to change the speed sensor position twice. first position, no reading registered at low speed (slower than 10kmh). second position, no reading registered at high speed (faster than 45kmh). third position was fine, but the head unit must be placed on the handlebar. if put on the steam, no reading. all three positions were within polar's recommended range shown in the manual. cadence sensor is placed at the seat tube. sticks a mile out, ugly. distance from the head unit as per manual.

head unit loses the signal from the cadence sensor if 1L bottle is placed between the sensor and the head unit. signal is fine with 600ml bottle. weird. polar tech rep says it might be due to the carbon frame and fork.

however, i shall keep this CS200cad because the heart rate function is very reliable and the strap is super comfy. once the sensors positions are sorted out, the unit works flawlessly. except if when you make a coffee stop in the middle of your ride and you leave the unit for a while without pausing it, the unit just freezes. you need to restart it.

Similar Products Used: Sigma Sport STS wireless
Lior Carmel   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2011]
Strength:

Accurate measurement

Communication method to Polar web site
Short memory
No GPS

As I summary this products after 6 months use, I found is a low entry level cycling computer. The most critical weaknesses i found was the communication method to the polar web site and the internal memory. The webLink method which is based on transmitting sounds is quite sensitive to interuptions. This causes you to try several times to transmit the file's info to the web. The second weakness is when you want to use the lap's info feature. If you choose to use the 1 km. lap setting, than after one 50 km. ride there is no left memory for the 51 st. km. The memory is already full.
Be aware the this computer doesn't have a GPS feature so altitude is not countable.
I won'r recommend this product to others

sreichwein   Road Racer [Apr 09, 2011]
Strength:

Lots of functions! Yet, still simple to monitor and track just the basic info. The display can be easily set to view the info you want. Large, easy-to-read display. Very comfortable HRM strap and unit.

Sealed batteries in the speed and cadence sensors. However, if your not afraid of x-acto knives, you can replace yourself (check YouTube for videos). The menus aren't quite intuitive, but not hard to learn. The cadence sensor had to be mounted on my down tube, based on Polar recommended distance to the computer, instead of the chain stay.

The CS200cad is packed with more features than what would be used by any cycling enthusiast. Therefore, if you're looking for all of the basic cycling and HRM functions, you'll find them here. If you want to track your exercise and health, this is a great unit. If you want to track your routes and elevations, consider a Garmin. The wireless units have been very reliable - dropping signal no more or less than other brands such as Cateye. Like another reviewer, I had occasional jumping of heart rate readings, but this was solved with proper adjustment of the strap. Overall, I'm very happy with the product and would recommend to serious athletes.

Similar Products Used: Cateye micro 100
mnlavey   Road Racer [Aug 29, 2010]
Strength:

Combines key features - speed, cadence, HRM. Easy to install. Once you go in Pause mode you can walk away and the device picks up your HR once you approach the bike.

The HRM occasionally displays an unrealistic max heart rate. I thought it might be someone else in the group who was close to me, but this has happened on rides alone so I am not sure the cause. This is a minor frustration in my book, given all the other features which have worked with no problems.

I have been very pleased with this device. I've used it 4+ years with minimal problems. It's easy to take on vacation and install on a rental bike because its entirely wireless.

Similar Products Used: Vetta, Cateye
jmilford   Recreational Rider [Apr 03, 2010]
Strength:

East to use. Large read out

Cuts in and out often for no reason. Battery changes are a pain and sensors are sealed units expensive to replace.

I have gone trough two of these units over the last 4 years. I agree with most reviewers, the unit is great when it works correctly. The single on HR and SPEED do cut out often and batteries are a pain. Can't see why the sensors are sealed and cost $40 each.

Similar Products Used: Have used Cateye wired and wireless units for speed and cadence.
tferguso   Commuter [Jan 20, 2010]
Strength:

I liked the strap

See review - it would not track my heart rate accurately

I used this monitor for about a year, until I got my Garmin Edge. The main problem I had with the Polar product was it's inability to accurately track my heart rate. It would fluctuate (while I was riding) from ~55 to ~220. It almost seemed as if it were measuring 1/2 my heart rate, or double my heart rate. It would sporadically jump from what I thought was about right (120-150 bpm) to around half that number, then stay there for a while, then go back to the range I expected. Then jump to around twice the bpm, then back down. I don't mean to say that it continuously did this. It would also track my heart rate accurately (or, at least in a reasonable range) for some periods. But the periods of inaccuracy were substantial, like 20 to 30% of my ride (usually 1-2 hrs of riding, so 15 to 40 min of incorrect readings). Enough so that I ignored all the results dependent on heart rate.

I was surprised by this - I think Polar is in the business of tracking heart rates. I thought their parent company made health care equipment?? I tried everything I could think of to correct the problem. New batteries, making sure the contact was good (moist) on the strap, limiting distance from strap to the unit, etc. Nothing helped.

Anyway, suffice it to say that my Garmin Edge 305 (which I've used for 4 years now, usually 5-10 times per week), has never had any of these issues.

I tried to Craig's List the CS200 a while back, but to no avail. I just tossed it out - an expensive experiment.

I liked the Polar's chest strap more than the Garmin's. That's why I gave the unit 2 stars instead of one. I wish I could use it's strap with the Edge.

Similar Products Used: Garmin Edge 305 - for about 4 years now
tomcarne   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2010]
Strength:

Quite easy to set up and easy to live with as its auto start function works well. Has all the functions you could need and you are in danger of information overload. Somehow I don't think you need that many sensors

This would be a fantastic product if they made an integrated speed and cadence sensor. Signal problems will always be a problem with computers I fear but thats not to say this happens every day. Maybe once a month on average. Replacing batteries in the sensors is a sore issue as they should allow for replacement. Rediculous to throw away a unit save for a battery. 3500 hrs, we will wait and see

Low Fuss. Better than my cateye V2C to say the least. Have had some occasions where misreads have occured and this can be annoying but I don't live and breath everything my computer tells me. Its a guide and thats all. Battery life appears to very good. Have had some trouble with the downlink function but seem to have got it working. Base station may be better, which is offered on the upper models