Polar S625X Heart Rate Monitors

S625X

The Polar S625X is like having a performance lab with you on every workout. All the heart rate, running and cycling data you will ever need is available right on your wrist. The S625X delivers continuous running speed without relying on where satellites are positioned. With the optional cycling and power sensors and enhanced training tools like the Polar OwnOptimizerâ„¢ recovery test, plus altitude and ascent for route profile, the S625X lets you cross train and put the power of information to work for you.

KEE   [Feb 21, 2013]
Strength:

monitors in the pool, always works, durable, a complete product for the triathlete

got locked into old accessories, bike, running cadence

I purchased this watch at the end of 2004. I now have over eight years of data from this watch. The watch is awesome. I have sent it to maintenance twice in all these years to get the battery replaced. I will get another polar after my experience with this watch. Many of the complaints on here is about PC sync. Lets see. You take the polar usb and place it in the usb port on your laptop. You hit a button on the watch until it says connect (very simple). You hold the watch still facing the IR port. You hit transfer on the software and done. It works every time. If you have problems with com ports and USB on your laptop you cant hold Polar responsible. I have eight years of data! Amazing product that I dont even need to replace with a new Polar because it works still today.

Earthdog58   Recreational Rider [Apr 23, 2009]
Strength:

Great when it works

HRM jumps around too much.

4th polar monitor I've owned and this is the worse. When it's working it's great, but Oh when it plays up!
Connection to the PC works fine for weeks then throws a strop and you spend ages reconnecting.
HRM is the main pain, according to the unit I'm at 232 while standing still and can drop to zero while climbing a hill. "Check status" comes up on the majority of ride and the odd run. Which throws out the average at the end (yes I know you can use the software to correct this, but after 6hrs on the road I don't see why I should have to spend an hour correcting 10+ spikes).
Battery life can't be checked, so you end up changing them more than needed.
using the gel makes no difference to the transmitter, nor does it seem to matter how wet it is.
I've sent the thing back several times, but with no improvement in reliability and will probably get a garmin shortly.

Nicholas Farley   Road Racer [Feb 17, 2009]
Strength:

Accurate on speed, distance, and HR when in use.

Can't download. Breaks down often. Unbelievably frustrating.

Polar 625x. Does the job on the bike, but it has had to go to the service centre in Adelaide about 3 or 4 times. Battery runs low without an indicator. Buttons seize up. Won't down load without deleting a ride file. I don't know why Polar has a reputation for being reliable, because this, and those of some of my mates, is awful. How can a heart rate monitor be susceptible to sweat????

jonjc   Recreational Rider [Sep 30, 2008]
Strength:

Functionality - ability to use for both cycling and running

SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE - They dont fix anything just try to sell you.

I have the Polar S625x and do like the functionality and capabilities. Unfortunately, recently I have had to work through the gaultet of their service and support structure and it was a nightmare. They use a third party (which I understand) but in my situation it felt like they were more interested in selling me ANOTHER watch rather than fixing mine. They have this "great" trade in program that is basically the same as buying a new watch, i didnt bite on the "hard sell". Here's the funny part, after I finally got the watch returned, I replaced the battery myself and it worked again!!!!! They suggest you mail in the watch to replace the battery - DONT DONT DONT, one more time DONT. Its easy, four screws in the back and a REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE battery. Since I am in the business of customer support, I shared my experience with Polar USA and was hoping they would at least listen and evaluate the situation (these are expensive watches and support should be quality). Instead, I get the story, our support is great, you are an idiot and thanks for being a customer. The watch is great and expensive, but dont have the expectation that because they are priced like a mercedes their service is likewise. In fact, their service is like a Yugo!!! I love the watch but dont ever want to deal with their service

RICHB   Triathlete [Jun 30, 2008]
Strength:

Foot pod and easy of use (of the wirst unit)

The inability to download data. The IR device is not ready for primetime, and does the HR monitor and the user a great disservice.

The watch and HR monitor work well. The features and flexibility of the watch are great. The ability to transmit data from the watch to the computer stinks. It transfers data 1 out of 10 trys at best. I have tried all of the trouble shooting measures recommended, and even downloaded the program on different computer with the same result. Without the ability to downlaod the data reliably, the HR monitor and other features are of little or no value. I would not buy one until this problem is fixed.

travelingmike   Triathlete [May 19, 2008]
Strength:

Foot pod and running measurements accurate. Heart rate monitor works well.

speed and cadence sensors-very poor, I have tried battery changes, position changes,signal strenght adjustment

The polar company I believe plans how to best get money out of people. Nothing but problems with this watch. Poor customer service-If I buy newer style it will work better was their answer! The new ones also do not allow battery changing in the sensors-you buy a new one!-"you should get up to two years before replacing them-but we only guarantee 1 year". What a load. The poor ratings are accurate, I do not work for another company, am not a disgruntled employee or whatever some of the reviewers have written about the negative reviews. Cut the price in half and sell it as a running computer/monitor.

Similar Products Used: cat eye wired
Specko   Triathlete [Jun 05, 2007]
Strength:

precise,ressistant,many functiones

high price,takes time to get used to it

I don't know but it seems like some people are leaving negative reviews here just to lower this product's real worth!
I'm an age group triathlete and since I got my Polar (and got it used),it has been a completely new way of training!This thing is great!The pace,heart rate and other (and there are many)parameters are always right,except for the distance showed at the watch at the end of the training doesn't match the total distance showed on the PC after downloading..I don't know,but on PC it always showes about 2 KM less than I really ran..I thought maybe it is the 10 min intervals that are recorded but am not sure..
All in all,this is the best and most valuable thing I have bought of all of my triathlon equipment!Olso have speed sensor (that works great)and will buy a cadence sensor too asap!
It is now clear to me that POLAR makes the best HRM in the world!You can not ask for better!Compared to this one,all other I have used(Sigma HRMs for example) are trash!Go and buy one and you'll be satisfied for sure!
Five stars!!!

Similar Products Used: many Sigma HRMs
paulrad9   Recreational Rider [Mar 06, 2007]
Strength:

Can be used for both running & biking

Instrucion manual. There are a lot of features and the manual insn't always clear

In response to jmliptak, I thought I read this in the manual, but maybe I read it elsewhere.
For triathlons, do this:

- Click Start/Lap
- Press Stop at end of swim
- Hold lower right and Bike comes on
- Click Start/Lap

I count 8 button presses, not the 50 that you mentioned, an 85% reduction.
Did you try and make it as difficult as possible?

Similar Products Used: Accurex and 410
jharris   Triathlete [Aug 06, 2006]
Strength:

Ability to do many things and the computer download data is great

Hard to switch to different exercises and get it to work right. Forget it in a race.

I think other reviewers are giving this watch a bad rap. Why? Because you have to look at other related products. I see no perfect product, thus this watch should not be given low marks because it is not perfect- fact is, none are perfect. I had other heart rate monitors and they would drop heart rate all the time. This watch has always been perfect. I never could figure out the s150 watch I had, but I met with a polar rep at a bike show once and he showed me how all the polar watches work. SInce then, it was no problem. When I bought the 625x I never needed the manual. I jsut put it on and started using it. After a week of playing with it, I read the manual just to make sure I understood all the functions. THe download software is slick, but again- the directions sucked. I figured it out on my own. You have to set the watch to "connect" and wait for the computer to find the data. Then, click on the file folder on the computer (do not touch the watch). When it shows all the files, open the file date that you want. Presto! The directions are lame and tell you differnet. I had a Garmin running gps watch, the run pace jumped around to much and it broke 10 months late. It was useless for trail runs (trees in the way)and rainy or cloudy days too. I have used this watch with my polar bike computer and the watch and computer do not interfere with one another and it pulls the data to the watch and bike computer fromt he bike sensors. Cool. As far as racing- what do you need to know on the swim anyway? You can't look at your wrist because you are swimming and all you need is time and heart rate to view later. If you have a bike computer, you only need the heart rate feature. And- on the run, you only need heart rate too. You should not use the foot pod since you should be going as fast as you can in a race anywaY! Worse case, I bet you could set the watch to run mode with the foot pod, do the swim and bike and it will record zero data for speed and on the run it will owrk. This avoids the 50 button press issue others mentioned. What polar should really do is make a button that switches from swim to bike to run. Then, you could program each exercise with the desired features and make them active just by clicking one button like the lap button, but it switches exercise too. Then it would be perfect. Otherwise, I see no issues. Again- to the complainers- what is better? Give everyone who uses this website some information on what to buy if not this watch!

Similar Products Used: Polar s150, Cateye hb 100, cateye msc2dx
jmliptak   Road Racer [Jun 02, 2006]

Cycling: no automatic start-stop
Running: inaccurate speed, and hence distance, readings
Other functions: inaccurate altitude and temperature readings
Not user friendly with too many buttons to press for multisport activities (and this is the main claim of the S625X).
Cost: you don't get what you buy for the Polar S625X.

Following up from a previous rewiew (posted 12/26/05), I have now sold this heart rate monitor because of multiple problems and poor customer service.

These problems have included running speeds from 2 km/hr to 34 km/hr when running a steady pace of 10-12 km/hr; altitude readings varying from -1000m to +7500m when at 340m; and temperature readings of 40C to 60C on an 11C day.

The other inherent problems with the S625X also remain and are described in other reviews on this site.

I challenge the technologically-savvy reviewer below to change between cycling and running with the press of a single button, let alone 10 buttons. For a triathlon, using speed and cadence sensors on the bike and the running pod, the minimum number of buttons to press to get through the race are 50, with the following breakdown:
Swim exercise set: Start (1) > Stop (2)
Transition from swim to bike: Stop (1) > File (2) > Options (3) > Options-Start (4) > Exercise Set-Start (5) > Swim to Cycle (6) > Cycle-Start (7) > Interval-Stop (8) > Cycle-Stop (9) > Memory (10) > Function (11) > Speed (12) > Speed-Start (13) > Speed Set passed Run (14) > Speed Set to Bike 1-OK (15) > Speed Bike 1 (16) > Wheel (17) > Cadence Off (18) > Cadence-Start (19) > Cadence to On (20) > Cadence-OK (21) > Cadence-Stop (22) > Bike 1-Stop (23) > Speed-Stop (24) > Options-Stop (25)
Bike exercise set: Start (1) > Stop (2)
Transition from bike to run: Stop (1) > File (2) > Options (3) > Options-Start (4) > Exercise Set-Start (5) > Swim to Cycle (6) > Cycle-Start (7) > Interval-Stop (8) > Cycle-Stop (9) > Memory (10) > Function (11) > Speed (12) > Speed-Start (13) > Speed Set to Run (14) > Speed Run-OK (15) > Run-Stop (16) > Speed-Stop (17) > Options-Stop (18)
Run exercise set: Foot pod on (1) > Start (2) > Stop (3).

Finally, it is interesting to note that the visitor rating is lowest for the two S625X reviews that provide the most objective information and, in the case of my previous posting, that this visitor rating was posted within a day of informing Polar about my poor review of their product. Maybe I'm being cynical, but this is too much of a coincidence. Pity their customer service is not as efficient.

Similar Products Used: Polar S510: better than the S625X, but saves only one complete exercise file.
Garmin Forerunner 305: like a reviewer below, I have replaced the S625X with this GPS unit and have not regretted it for a second. Accurate speed, pace, distance, and fairly accurate altitude and grade information. No foot pod. True one button transition between multisports. Fantastic software with a wealth of information and ability to download exercise information on to Google Earth. Good customer support.