Timex IronMan 50 Lap Heart Rate Monitor Heart Rate Monitors

IronMan 50 Lap Heart Rate Monitor

Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor: Timex Ironman Road Trainer features target zones, average heart rate, recovery timer, max zone calculation, digital transmission and an owner replaceable battery...

OldNick   Recreational Rider [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

Lots of features. Maybe too many? Nice watch to wear.

See my comments. Also when I had the watch battery replaced, they refused to pressure test it because they said too many had failed and they always got the blame

This is the 100 lap version.

Good watch. Not a good HRM. I have two, and they are both really unreliable. I have replaced batteries in both straps and one watch. It made no difference. The main issue is getting a link between the sensor and the watch (surprise). Sometimes it drops right in, but mostly it takes 5, 10, 15 minutes of wasted time. Timex said they had a 14-16 day turnaround, but the watchmaker said it was more like 3-6 weeks.

Value rating of 3 because when it works it's OK, and it's an alright watch.

Similar Products Used: None
spokejunky   Road Racer [Jan 16, 2007]
Strength:

Chrono and intervals

Resets on it's own. Chest and Head unit eat batteries like Cap'n Crunch. Drops connectivity.

Save your money. The Timex HR monitor with the optional GPS and info recording unit has got issues. I bought this HR for it's simplicity and use of the intervals. During it's first month of use the monitor had problems losing connectivity while I was cycling in the drops. I took it back to the shop and they issued the 'replace the battery' fix. I did replace the battery and still had connection issues 3 out of 4 workouts while in the drops. I admit I kill HR and cycling computers with my sweat since only one has lasted more than a year. A mid-range Sigma HR has lasted me five years, but lacks the intervals, max and min values that the Timex has out of the box. I have found that the chest strap started letting sweat in around the rubber battery o-ring which gets the battery wet and as a result corrodes the battery. POS.

Similar Products Used: Sigma
HAC4 Plus
GarbanzoBeanSnafu   Road Racer [Aug 06, 2006]
Strength:

Nice setup. Easy to use.

It dies at random intervals. Sent it back 3 times for just dying. Eventually, it just got water in it during a rain storm and stopped working.

Works great, until... Basically, this thing worked pretty well, but I did have to send it back a bunch. I had it nearly three years, so I guess it was OK. I would have liked it to last longer, since it had all the features I need.

Ave HR, Ave HR in Zone, Time in Zone. Custom Zone.

Similar Products Used: none
ladams   Road Racer [Feb 07, 2006]
Strength:

Large display

Well, I have not gotten two of them to reliably work.

I have had two Timex HR monitors and they fail. The first started misbehaving almost immediatly. This included one point where the alarm would not shut off and I had to wrap in a spare tee-shirt to avoid being shoved into a ditch. The second one after warrenty replacement, Timex lost the first one when tehy received it, worked for approx three weeks. HR will not turn on, and if it does turn on, shuts off and can't be restarted. I am moving on. I had a Cateye that lasted six years. LBS has been honoring warrenty, but I would prefer the HR to work. Conclusion: If Timex wants me as a customer, then the Timex products need to perform as promised!

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Polar
cthomas   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2005]
Strength:

It's an Ironman! Easy to use No problems with interference

Missing some HRM features, but what should you expect at this price?

I admit I REALLY wanted a Polar. I had a SI Circuit 7 and wanted to updgrade. I went back and forth and decided to try this one so I could change my own batteries. I haven't been disappointed. If you own an Ironman watch the operation is similar. I found it easy to set up, and have had few issues with loss of signal. I use a wireless Flight Deck and have no problems with interference. I love the fact I can take it off and use it as a watch. I have found this to be a good value unit that is very reliable.

Similar Products Used: SI Circuit 7
weltyed   Recreational Rider [Dec 19, 2004]
Strength:

got a good price on it. has most features i wanted. would have liked an overall low and max hr. also would have liked cadence, but i would need to go polar, and an additional few hundred, for that.

temperature glitches.

this is a review of the 100 lap ironman. this is my first HRM. i have only used 1 other, and that was a 1993 polar in a college class. this model does have a max, but only max in zone. i like having the zone alarms, and the ability to turn them off. although i do miss the total max. i use it mostly for running, but have encountered a few glitches. on the bike i do lose signal, but mostly due to powerlines. it doesnt zero, out, but you do lose info for the time it is out, and you invariably slow down to try and "fix" it. while jogging i have noticed odd spikes in hear rate. it will go from 166 to 135 to 198. usually only happens for about 15 seconds. also, at the start of the run, sometimes the reading is so inaccurate, i shut it off, then start it up again. that usually helps/ but the most annoying thing is using it in cooler temps. once it gets below 40, it takes a while to get accurate readings. below 30 and it takes at least 5 minutes to get a solid reading. even then it spikes and valleys for another 3 minutes. granted, this is during your warm up, but when you are on a recovery day, you need to keep that hr down. the coolest i have used it was 23F, so we shall see what happens as the winter progresses. on a side note, using an hrm has changed the way i view cycling/jogging. i no longer dread the 5th or 6th straight day of exercising. in fact, i dread when i miss a day. doing the short hard day, long slow day, repeat works. it is tough working in both cycling and running, but i usually use my cycling days as recovery days. unless i go back-to-back cycling. regardless, hrt has helped me train. not like im any big competitor, but i have noticed a change in body over the 6 months ive had the hrm.

Similar Products Used: ancient polar
jobu19   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2004]
Strength:

provides all relevant information, max heart rate, minimum, time in zone etc...

doesn't work

This watch is garbage. I bought it in early May, and several times on rides the watch would reset itself, as in, turn itself off, then back on again with all the information lost and all the settings cleared. I had to stop my ride, set the HRM back up and start going again. I emailed Timex and one less than friendly tech asked me to send the watch to him and he'd either fix it or replace it. About 9 days later I received my watch back with no message or work order, so i am not sure that anything was done to it. All that was in the box was a bill for $7!! Their watch is malfunctioning, they asked for it to be sent to them, its unclear what, if anything was done to it, and they want money from me!! Do not buy this watch, not only does it not work, but Timex tech support is for the birds.

Similar Products Used: none
Cubsfan   Racer [Mar 06, 2003]
Strength:

Price, dual purpose (HRM and watch), functions, ability to change the battery yourself!!

Does not have peak HR, or audible out-of-zone alarm.

Very good HRM. Good display, has all necessary functions except peak HR. Has all the functions of an Ironman Watch so you can wear it all the time. Very good value. Comfortable chest strap.

Similar Products Used: Polar.
Gerard   Downhiller [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

price, durability, dual functions, HRM and watch

when wearing chest strap cannot lock readout in time of day mode, only can access time by pushing button and it will display for a few seconds

East to read, good backlight, styled like their Iroman series watches(with all those functions) so I wear it as my regular wristwatch.I've recently seen it much cheaper (around $62.00) at Walmart.