Clif Shot Nutrition

Clif Shot Nutrition

Clif Shot

[Jan 06, 2009]
ChazMan428

Strength:

Variety of flavors, thick, litter leash. Buy in bulk and it's about a buck a pack.

I can only comment on the Mocha flavor. It's pretty good but be forewarned that not all gel flavors go well with sports drink flavors. Mix and match appropriately. I can't say that I notice a boost after taking a gel shot, but I think it keeps me going. On my long training rides (40 miles) I take one about a mile before a set of hills on the way out and at about the same point on the way back to help get me though the rest of the way for a strong finish.

Clif gel is fairly thick so it doesn't automatically squirt out when you rip the top off. But because it's thick, it goes down kinda slow so take a hit from the bottle to help things along.

I think the litter leash is a great idea (though sometimes that tears off too) and I don't think cyclists should add to the pollution problem.

Since I think it's trashy to toss a spent gel pack, I also carry a small ziplock bag in a jersey pocket to act as a trash bag for used gel packs. Otherwise the remaining gel will ooze out of an open pack and into your jersey pocket.

[Jan 05, 2009]
waldo425

Taste

I tried the "Razz" flavor figuring that its really hard to screw up raspberry flavor and sugar --- well Clif found a way to do it. The taste was horrible, I couldn't tolerate it.

Hammer Gel
Clif Shot bloks

[May 28, 2007]
gregario

Strength:

Caffeine in the Shot does its job.

Raspberry flavor is horrible.

This review is for the Clif Shot Raspberry flavor, I cannot comment on other flavors.

The Raspberry flavor is NASTY. Stay away from it. End of review.

PowerGel, HammerGel, CarBOOM

[Aug 02, 2005]
stannen1

Strength:

Taste, flavors and the leash

Too sweet.

I've used Clif Shots and Bars for about 2 years. The thing about their products is that they actually taste like food. It's a factor that really sets them apart. I find most gels a bit sweet when I'm riding hard so I actually prefer the Just Plain Gu, but Clif Shots are my favorite flavored gel. You greenies have to like the "litter leash".

Gu, Power Gels

[Jul 19, 2003]
terrorgear

Strength:

tasty, easy to get into my system, small.

price, goo factor (meaning i know carry a ziploc bag to put the empties in in my pouch.

Clif Shot gles have had a tremendous effect on me during peak physical activity. I do not roadbike, only MTB and hiking. While hiking 6 miles with 50 lbs. on my back, these keep me going. I also use them on when trail riding for long distances. I switched from Powerbars to Clif Bars in the late ninties, then to the gels 6 months ago. They taste better than any other nutritional supplement I have used, can be consumed quick and give me that boost i need when my thighs start screaming. I also use Cytomax in the bottle for cramps. kevin

[Aug 06, 2002]
Jeff
Racer

Strength:

Tastes Good ( Strawberry and Raspberry are the best ) Goes down easy. Not as thick and past as PowerGel.

None.

Have been using for about three months. Previously used PowerGel and GU. I found the PowerGel to be very thick and Pasty, and difficult to get down compared to the Clif shots. GU was also thicker than the Clif shots, but not nearly as thick as the PowerGel. Clif shots also taste good. Good taste along with not being thick and pasty make the Clif Shots easy to consume during a long ride, especially if you are breathing hard. Go with the Clif shots!!

PowerGel, GU, others

[Jul 25, 2002]
stuttsdc
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Very good flavors

A little expensive

Cliffshot is by far one of the best tasting gels out there. I used GU for an entire season while training for a marathon. Now, I liked GU..it got the job done. But Cliffshot tastes MUCH better. I could never eat a chocolate GU when out on a very long run..something about it made me ill. But whether it's chocolate or MOCHA cliffshot, it's a fine treat. And I don't buy the hype about one gel giving you more energy boost than another...they're all roughly the same. Base your decision on taste and price. For my money, i'm sticking w/Cliffshot.

GU

[Jan 16, 2002]
rsimmons
Racer

Strength:

I like the taste of the mocha and vanilla. I also like the natural ingredients.

Cliff shot is a little expensive but well worth it. I tried mocha and vanilla and they tasted better than other brands, although the raspberry was not to my liking. They go down easy during a ride and don''t upset my stomach. I also like the fact that they contain all natural ingredients; I didn''t need a Phd in chemistry to read and understand them. I typically use take one every 20 miles or so when training (more during a race) and the boost is very noticable.

power gel, GU