Hammer Nutrition HEED Nutrition

Hammer Nutrition HEED Nutrition

HEED's subtle tasting all-complex carbohydrate formula goes down easily and supplies you with consistent long-lasting energy and the electrolytes. HEED's sweeteners - stevia and xylitol - are actually good for you xylitol being especially beneficial fo

[Apr 11, 2011]
ARAM

Strength:

Great energy supplier that last for duration of 25 miles for every bottle.

Faint flavor and energy with only one scoop.

I use to live for Accelerade but once I was turned on to HEED by Hammer I went from trying to draft on everyones wheel to pulling more than my wieght on every ride.

Accelerade

[Jan 19, 2010]
dwmmlm

Strength:

Formula provides ample fuel

Taste is truly horrific

Good for energy if you can get past the taste. Used for both cycling and marathon training with good results, but can find same results with much better taste with Accelerade or similar products.

[Mar 06, 2009]
dausone

Strength:

Taste, mixes fast in water, sweetened with Stevia.

Can be a bit upsetting on the stomach at first with larger dosages and no extra plain water source available.

After receiving a sample of HEED that came with my order from hammernutrition, I decided I would buy a container and give it a go for a longer test. I've been using it for a little over a week now. It has a pleasant creamsicle taste and is fairly easy on the stomach. I advise starting light and working your way up to a recommended dosage. I usually have an extra bottle of unmixed water with me so I can choose when to have the electrolytes and calories.

All in all, I would recommend it for shorter rides taken with another calorie source. Heed combined with hammer gel and I am able to sustain a steady pace for three hours and don't have to worry about bonking out.

[Aug 25, 2008]
moreyp

Strength:

I looked at the cannister as I was mixing it and saw that it was low sugar.

Taste

I stopped toward the end of a 37 mile ride at my LBS to fill my bottles and they had me try the Mandarin Orage flavor of HEED. Honestly, I hated it. I had a slight milk taste to me that I found disgusting for on the bike hydration.

NUUN (my usual on bike drink with gels)
PowerBar Endurance (also not good)

[Apr 03, 2008]
Marcos_E

Strength:

+ Great taste: The beverage does taste really nice. It's mild, but with a hint of sweetness and there also seems to be a bit of a slight fizz, which makes it go down really easily.

+ Health Benefits: The nutrition facts on this definitely don't lie, it's a really beneficial drink and at a low sugar cost, but only if you have the stomach for it...

- It may be just me, but I got really nauseous off the stuff and couldn't ride very well after about an hour of sipping at it according to my thirst. It's entirely possible I just messed up.

Having had very little experience with Hammer products, but encouraged by both the shop owner and reviews on this site, I decided to give HEED a shot, for both my sake and so that it can finally get a review.

Please note that this is the review for the single-serving Mandarin Orange flavor and I only used half of it, just like I would with any other powdered fitness beverage.

The solution itself does take a couple moments to mix in the bottle, so I recommend shaking it vigorously and also giving it a few minutes after to really let the powder dissolve.

The product itself was interesting, to say the least and I'll outline its points in the strengths and weaknesses section.

If you're in a hurry, here's my summary. It's great stuff, but it may not be right for you. Buy a single serving packet and give it a go.

Propel - Which also made me nauseous
Gatorade and Powerade - Both have a lot of sugar... watch out!
Emer-gen-C Sport Water - I recommend giving this a shot!