Ergomo Pro System Power Meters

Ergomo Pro System Power Meters

ergomo® pro measures your power in watt during cycling in the bottom bracket, exactly where it is generated. The new ergomo® pro is applicable in road and track racing, triathlon and mountainbiking. On the basis of 72 measurements per pedal turn the torque and cadence is registered and out of this your current power is released. Your individual wattage data is displayed in the big screen on your egomo pro computer with an inprecision of only ± 0,5 percent. So you can always see your power and follow their evolution.

• Pro Bottom Bracket sensor
  • Pro Powermeter computer
  • ergoRacer software

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 19, 2012]
    Mike

Strength:

Can be a cheap alternative to SRM

Vendor is very unethical. They issued unauthorized charges to my credit card.

Decent product, though it has a history of maintenance issues.

[Sep 07, 2010]
    John Jones

Strength:

large display, easy to install, easy to use, accurate measurements, great customer service

I purchased the complete system from Ergomo USA about three months ago and have been loving it. The installation of the bottom bracket was simple enough that I was able to do it myself.

Since using the system, I have noticed a dramatic increase in my performance and endurance. I have used Powertap and SRM power meters in the past and am much happier with the Ergomo, mostly due to the large LCD screen on the Ergomo computer. It can display 8 measurements at once. I would recommend this to any cyclist, amateur or pro, looking to improve their current skill or take their training to a new level.

Powertap Power Meter, SRM Power Meter

[Dec 25, 2008]
    jerry666

Strength:

reliability, light weight, great features

can't use external bearing cranks. Ergomo has square taper and ISIS (Maybe other?) But ergomo offers a sweet carbon crank made by FSA

The ergomo has worked very well. I have had no problems and have been using it for about one year. Its best feature is the computer. It has everything you will need including altitude. I was also surprised at how light weight it is. When I swaped out my SRAM Force Crank and BB the weight gain was only a few grams. I' sure it is the lightest power meter on the market (depending on crank choice)
    Data is also very consistent. The design, which measures power from sensors in the BB works remarkably well. I have friends with other power meters that often get inconsistent datat and other random problems but the Ergomo just works.
    You must make sure you follow the installation instructions though. If you screw up certain steps data will be wrong

[Nov 12, 2008]
    JOHN HUNT

Strength:

1. good data display
    2. with rounding to say 4or 5 on the display watts, gives a steady wattage display.

1. 1 sec recording is no good for standing starts and sprints, you miss the max output quite often.

I have 2 bottom brackets, one in a track bike and one in my road training bike. I find them quite good, had no difficulty in installing them. Only problem on the track is that 1 sec recording rate is no good for standing start or sprint analysis. need 0.1 or 0.5 sec.
    I have a major problem now with the computer and hope another reader can tell me how to fix it.
    For the past two weeks , everytime I try to download a ride/trip, the computer head keys lock up and the software says that the unit is sleeping. The unit wakes up after a while once I recharge it. I can see the data from the trip is in the computer head but cannot download it anymore. If it locks up, I can reset it but I loose the trip. But I am in a hopeless situation in that, I can do a ride and have it in the computer head but cannot download. I am using com 1 port, could not get the usb to work at all.

polar wattage. very bad. useless.

[Nov 03, 2008]
    Bruce Wacker

Strength:

The computer records everything you can think of.

Support is horrible. For a few months I got replies from my emails, but now, nothing, note even a service depot location.

The octalink on a mountain bike requires a special Shimano XTR crank that is no longer manufactured, has non-standard chain rings, and no 22 tooth available

OK when it works. It stopped working and I've gotten nothing useful from ergomo since starting to communicate with them in June. It is now November.

[Aug 13, 2008]
    Calk

Strength:

Screen display

Unreliable power readings. Dishonest, unresponsive and unreliable customer service. Difficult installation. Needs to be re-calibrated frequently. Poorly written instruction manual.

Despite owning a Powertap SL and a Powertap SL Wireless, I was intrigued by the Ergomo technology and interested in the ability to use different wheelsets. The Ergomo was installed by an experienced mechanic at my LBS. Although the Ergomo has proved useful as an expensive heart rate monitor, the power readings are completely unreliable (40-80 watts too low), and my experience with customer service by the current US distributor and by the German owner has been horrible. The US distributor blames the German owner, and the Germans are unresponsive. It appears that no professional cycling teams use Ergomo's which is a good indication of their unreliability and the lack of factory support. At the same price point, the PowerTap Wireless powermeter is a much better solution, and easy to move between bicycles.

PowerTap SL, PowerTap SL Wireless

[Apr 25, 2008]
    rabbott47

Strength:

Price compared to other Power meters (except iBike - which is the way to go on a tight budget). Consistency, durability, ease of setup, analysis software, quality of service from new distributor. It also saves weight over SRM and powertap.

Measures from left crank only. If you have only one leg, you'll get distorted readings.
    It measures my power, but does not increase it, therefore notifying me of why I was crushed in that race. Perhaps, the next version will incorporate a small motor in the BB.
    A little rattle in one of the handlebar mounts (on my cross bike) needed a strip of electrical tape to eliminate. Limited choices of cranksets to use with the sensor BB - partially assuaged by the very nice Ergomo Cranks that are available (I use one Ergomo and 2 Campy Record cranks from a couple years ago).
    Repairs going to Germany add a week to turnaround time (be sure to keep a backup crankset/BB to use if you do need a repair).
    Wireless would be nice.

I've got sensors mounted on TT bike, road racing bike and cyclocross race bike. Straightforward mounting, calibration, and maintenance, although if you aren't comfortable with BB work, you might be happier having a shop do the installation (cross-threading is easy to do).
    Power outputs measures have been stable over time and across platforms for me.
    I've even run my computer head through the laundry. Had to open the case, dry it out for a week, and voila! it worked again.
    The cyclocross unit survived and functioned through the Saturday from Hell (snow, mud, multiple crashes, and temps in the teens) at the Kansas City Nationals this year - it came through in better shape than me.
    I broke a speed pickup in a crash this spring, and the service from the new US distributor (FITMultisports) was right on. However, the unit was returned to Germany for the repair and took about 3 weeks - it would be nice to see future improvements in that.
    And, the price is right - I've got 3 bikes equiped with sensors and one head unit for $3400 - less than the cost of a single SRM. Street prices may be lower.
    Adding power output to your training and racing data is fun and gives remarkable insight into where your strengths and weakness are, and where to focus your training.
    The older style of square taper or ISIS BB limits your crankset choices, but the Ergomo cranksets are really nice (made by FSA).

iBike Pro
    PowerTap

[Apr 20, 2008]
    osker123

Strength:

Computer unit is amazing, accuracy +-0.5%, Ergomo has a great FSA modeled carbon crank to go with the BB sensor; Its lighter than SRM, Powertap; cheaper than SRM

handle bar mount slips over bumps, i secured mine by putting foam under it. its annoying to set the off-set (only a 30 sec process) everytime you ride, but with that kind of accuracy its hard to complain. More expensive than Powertap, Polar

I noticed a lot of reviews for Ergomo that complain about failures. This was due to some mistakes in the factory, nothing inherent to the system. SO they had a few shipments that were bad I guess. From what I understand, they have an excelent warranty department. That said, I have had no problems with my Ergomo. It has been great. The amount of data that the computer captures is simply amazing. It even has altitude; you can see the course profile with your power, HR, speed, etc. SO I know what my power was over the short climbs, long climbs, decents, etc.

[Dec 26, 2007]
    Stan Prutz

Strength:

Reliably recorded; nice display

1. It doesn't reliably perform its intended function - measuring power output.
    2. Mounting of computer - rattles on shoe on rough roads
    3. Computer leaks around seal letting salt from sweat behind computer window. One was so bad it obscured display and needed replacement.
    4. Computer cover developed what appeared to be a stress crack - replaced under warranty.
    5. Bottom bracket completely failed - replaced under warranty
    6. 3 bottom brackets of 4 have experienced the low offset problem - one sent back to distributor and never returned. Others still have the problem.

Raced and trained with this daily since August 06. Upgraded immediately to Cycling Peaks WKO+. The Ergomo looks great on paper - reality under regular use is another story. I had planned to buy 1 English and 1 Italian thread bottom bracket and 1 computer. Due to the frequency I have been sending parts back for replacement I now have 4 bottom brackets and 2 computers.

Yep - spet about $5K and I have to admit, I no longer trust the Ergomos to read power repeatably. There are two reasons:

1. The calibration tends to change, sometimes very significantly, from day to day and to a lesser extent while riding. It most definitely won't be reliable when you first install until it "seats" in the bottom bracket - allow a week of riding. There is no manual override to provide correction to the calibration process, and no mfgr. recommended way to do a static test of accuracy (like Power Tap and SRM).

2. There have been too many problems with permanent offsets of 50-100W low occuring. Factory tends to balk when you tell them this - they tend to believe it is due to improper installation. I'm quite expereinced now in the installs, at least a dozen under my belt with swaps. One would expect it would take something less than a professional engineer with an MIT engineering degree to successfully install one of these.

The fact is, not only do other people on this forum report similar offset issues, but 2 other people in my area who bought Ergomos about the same time experienced the low offset issue with a bottom bracket during their units first year of service.

I was informed by my original vendor that there were a series of units that were known to have offset problems - the unit I sent back fell into this category. I sent it in but never got it back. I have 2 more of the 4 with the offset problem.

Ergomo's US distributor and Ergomo parted ways with negative public remarks by each recently - distributor claimed a 30% fail rate - Ergomo admitted it was 12-15%.

Polar power (even worse)

[Jul 07, 2007]
    CLINT

Strength:

Awesome data on the head unt, you have everything there: NP, TSS, IF, gradient, elevation gain/loss, intervals, max, ave, total

poor quality control/design/craftsmanship. I know 3 other racers that have/did have an ergomo, and all of them have had either the BB, headunit, or both go out on them in less than a year.

I have 3 Ergomo BB's and 2 head units. The first is on my top primary road bike. It worked flawlessly until i thought there was some creaking coming from the BB. After reinstalling, the power I believe reads about 40 watts low. My second BB works great, I've had it 8 months and no problems. My 3rd BB appears to read about 40 watts low and the head unit stopped taking an offset after about 6 months. I was able to get that warrantied no problem. But now, I need to figure out what I am going to do with 2 BB's that are reading low.

Polar S725