CycleOps Roller Rollers

• 8 Floor Contact Points
  • Fully Sssembled

• User Reviews (13)

FPC   Road Racer [Sep 29, 2010]
    Strength:

Smooth, Quiet, Easy to set up, folds up easily, light, resistance attachment available, Manufacturer stands by product for life - no questions asked!

I bought these used and cheap. One of the drums rattled and buzzed. I emailed the manufacturer of the CycleOps rollers, which is Sportscrafters, and promptly got an email back from the owner Peter Colan. He sent me a new drum with hand tightening nuts for free not even a shipping cost and he also through in a new drive band for free! I am blown away. I had told him it was CycleOps branded (not his own Sportscrafters version) and that I got it used off E Bay and he said that Sportscrafters warrants their products for life, regardless of how many times it's been bought/sold. I popped on the drum and band and the rollers work good as new, which by the way is super smooth and quiet. I had to pass on the experience I had.

Similar Products Used: Tacx PVC Rollers
    stabdawgarson   Road Racer [Jan 30, 2010]
    Strength:

Quiet.
    Five levels of resistance.

It would be nice to change the resistance level while riding, but I suppose that's what the right shifter is for.
    Even quiet rollers can be loud at 30+mph.

This review is for the 2009 model with aluminum drums (plastic end caps) and resistance unit.
    I considered the Kreitlers, but the guys at the LBS said the CycleOps were fine for 10+ years of 30-45 minute hammer sessions. Plus these are 200 bucks cheaper and if I'd spent more money, I'd be more inclined to ride indoors.
    When riding rollers I have found a HRM and cadence sensor to be indispensable. I would rather ride outdoors, but the rollers are a good way to work on smoothness and aerobic conditioning.

Similar Products Used: Performance $150 rollers.
    soccerdad   Triathlete [Mar 19, 2009]
    Strength:

Quiet, build up good endurance and aids your pedaling/riding technique more than other trainers.

Can be a little tricky getting onto your bike when on these rollers as your bike is now about 5" higher than normal and no really good step provided to mount your bike from.

One of the reviews posted here talks about the excessive noise of these rollers. I had the same issue with mine. I contacted Cycle Ops, sent them an electronic file of the noise I experienced and they promptly sent me a replacement. The replacement is very quiet. (How often have you had customer service like this? They didn't even require me to send mine in first! They provided a return shipping label and I simply put the old ones into the shipping box for return! Fantastic!) I have no issue with the noise of these new rollers, whatsoever.

Living in the midwest, there are several days throughout the year that I can't ride outdoors. I find this to be an excellent alternative to outdoor riding. It forces me to ride with proper technique 100% of the time. If I loose focus, I am slipping off the rollers in a heartbeat. If you are looking for mind numbing exercise, I would recommend one of the mag or fluid trainers that holds your bike stationary. If you are looking for an indoor trainer that will improve your riding technique while giving you a good aerobic workout, these are the hookup! I find my road riding will be as straight as an arrow after spending time on the rollers. I do a lot of group riding/training with drafting. This really helps keep a smooth train going for these rides. Also, my pedal cadence is very consistent, rotating the pedals very smoothly full circle. These rollers (aluminum model) are very durable and fold up for easy storage.

samuel   Road Racer [May 03, 2007]
    Strength:

nothing really.

poorly made. over priced. loud at a high cadence.

most of these people that wrote reviews have never been on any other rollers, which explains why they gave good reviews. CycleOps rollers are not worth buying if you want something worth keeping. Over a 100 cadence they start producing way to much noise and vibration. With CycleOps, my entire apartment started to vibrate. If you want rollers, which I think is the best indoor workout (second to an indoor velodrome)go with Kreitler. A much smoother roller and worth the extra cash if you are buying new. If not, I got mine off ebay for $75 less than i payed for the CycleOps rollers.

Similar Products Used: Kreitler Challenger.
    Jon Bainbridge   Road Racer [Dec 30, 2006]
    Strength:

sprints

hills

In the winter I had to ride on a stationary hyd. trainer. Riding on the rollers offers a much better work out. You have to be better at balancing than you do riding outside. Their seems to be a little more resistance riding on rollers.

Similar Products Used: none
    xixiviii   Road Racer [Dec 04, 2005]
    Strength:

Ease of setup (comes assembled, just unfold and roll) / The 3.25 inch drums provide enough resistance at any speed without the need for a headwind unit. / Much quieter than PVC

I have to say price (to me that is the same for any and all rollers) for what the $250 actually gets you, I mean its 3 drums and two rails...

Ummmm, what can I really say except that I am absolutly satisfied so far. I have two trainers (one fluid and one wind) and neither were doing it for me. They were loud and boring. So I made the switch. This isnt my first set of rollers, but it is my first set of aluminum rollers. I must say they are nothing short of exactly what i needed to liven up my winter. The difference between these and my trainers is they make it easy to smooth out my pedal stroke and improve my balance. Regular trainers hold you upright, so you basically dont have to do any work aside from pedaling, plus rollers force you to work on form and keep your muscles in tune for what you need them for. I find myself getting bored on trainers and sitting up (no hands) and looking around and not really paying attention to the training aspect. Anyway, I love them and use them a few times a week, and the best part - I LOOK FORWARD TO INDOOR TRAINING NOW!

Similar Products Used: Nashbar PVC (my first ones when I was a poor college kid)
    BHammonds   Recreational Rider [Nov 10, 2005]
    Strength:

Comes fully assembled. Just unfold, and ride. No tools required to adjust rollers to fit bike.

Price, all of these type products seem to be overpriced for what they are.

This is for the Al rollers, not the PVC. These are my first rollers. I wanted add some variety for my winter training. All components seem to be a good quality. I have only put about 100 miles on them so far. They are smooth, very quiet, and easy to use. A few tips: first, in order to get going, clip in one foot, and begin pedaling. Once you have the rollers turning, gently move on to the bike and begin pedaling with other leg. Second, hold bars straight. When you need to make a correction, "feel" as if you are riding with no hands. Just use the body to make very small corrections.

FatA**   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2005]
    Strength:

solid design, folds for storage, nicely machined aluminum rollers.

leaves aluminum on your tires.

I have the ALUMINUM ones, not the cheapo plastic ones. Never rode rollers before, but heard they make you a better rider. Been on them about an hour to date & no problems staying up! Good workout without added resistance. Never been on Kreitlers, but these seem to be a quality product -- I weigh 260lbs and they handle me just fine.

Similar Products Used: older statonary mag trainer.
    zoomraye   Road Racer [Mar 16, 2005]
    Strength:

Smooth! quiet! solid! and even fairly attractive to look at! I added a resistance fan ($50) that works very well (Yeah, now THAT's a good workout!), and is not as chintzy as people report the kreitler fan to be.

NONE!

This is a review for the Sportcrafters alloy rollers. (Sportcrafters manufactures Cyclops) These rollers are absolutely wonderful! and very affordable! I would Highly recommend them to the person who might be on a tight budget.

Similar Products Used: tacx pvc rollers (YUCK! UGLY! LOUD! and they started falling apart after 100 miles-AND I'M A 130lb. rider) DON'T BUY THESE! NOT WORTH IT!
    bw77   Recreational Rider [Oct 29, 2003]
    Strength:

Smooth rolling, quiet, stable, lifetime warranty, great value.

After using a fluid trainer for 2 winters, I wanted to see what rollers were all about. I could not decide on which diameter rollers to get. Seems like everyone who uses the 4" or bigger rollers needs a resistance unit. And I could not find a lot of info from users of smaller diameter rollers. Then I found the Sportcrafters website. The info on their site is great, they discuss the factors involved in choosing which rollers to get. I decided to buy the Sportcrafters 3.25 inch aluminum rollers, which appear to be identical to the Cycleops 9501 model. After 10 days with these rollers, I could not be happier with my choice. The resistance is just right for me (I'm 150 lbs). Today I did an hour on the rollers (with several breaks), using tops, hoods, and drops. Then I did 10 minutes on the trainer. I am amazed how unrealistic the trainer feels after riding the rollers. I am sold on rollers, but I will continue to use both. Learning was not a problem. I set up between a wall and a heavy shelf.