Performance Technique Pro Rollers

Technique Pro

Precision lathe-turned aluminum drums with weighted end caps for smooth spin, all-steel epoxy powdercoated frame. Folds for easy storage and transport. Compatible with Performance Front Stabilizer.

drewpeterson   Road Racer [Sep 08, 2006]
Strength:

Very nice firm foundation and look nice.

None that I can think of.

These rollers are a great value and have really helped improve my feeling for the back and my upper body relaxation. You learn how to not fight the bike. Every serious cyclist needs to ride rollers. They have taught me so much and are fun. I once owned a normal trainer that I returned because it borred me to tears. I like to begin or end every ride with these rollers. It has the nice benefit of also logging on the miles on you computer because the front wheel spins. I can ride them with no hands no and also one legged and it has really helped my overal bike handling. Rollers are awesome!

Similar Products Used: none.
cthomas   Recreational Rider [Mar 19, 2006]
Strength:

Price, alluminum alloy drums, solid construction.

None yet.

I needed a new set of rollers as my old Nashbar PVC rollers were warped and in bad shape. I was shopping around for a deal on alloy rollers, and while I would love to have the Kreitler's the price kept putting me off.

In the course of shopping online I found the deal at Performance to get these half off their list price. Pretty hard to walk away from. I have put several hundred miles on these and am happy with the purchase.

Overall, the construction of these rollers is of a high quality. The alloy drums are well machined, and the ride is very smooth. They are a mid-sized drum, so the workout is good but there is not a lot of resistance. As noted by one of the other reviewers, the alloy drums tend to "sing" at higher speed due to the light aluminum of the rollers. Also, make sure and use old tires, as like with a rear-wheel trainer the aluminum heats up and EATS tires.

I have seen other reviews of this product with complaints on the bearings. I am a clydesdale and have had no issues here (yet). I will likely grease the bearings on a rainy weekend this summer just in case, but that is not due to any issues.

Overall I rate these as an excellent value. Not the high bling factor you would get with Kreitlers, but at $109 these are well worth the price.

Similar Products Used: Nashbar PVC rollers, Minoura mag trainer, Performance fluid trainer.
otoman   Road Racer [Dec 31, 2005]
Strength:

Good value

Rollers "sing" at higher speeds (>20mph). I really have to crank up the TV to hear it when riding the rollers.

Very good for the money. Not a lot of resistance but great for developing a smooth spin and riding in a straight line. These, or any rollers, will dramatically improve your ability to smoothly ride in a pack or paceline.

Similar Products Used: PVC rollers - all warp over a short time. GET ALLOY!
deliriou5   Road Racer [Dec 08, 2003]
Strength:

Price

Quality control

I bought these rollers in June and have used them for approximately 200 miles. In general I was pretty happy with them. I discovered however that roller training is kinda difficult, as you can't really do anything like read or watch TV while you're riding. Don't worry about the smoothness compared to the Kreitlers... if it's too smooth, it doesn't feel like the road, and also doesn't provide as much of a resistance workout. My main issue though is with the rollers themselves. Recently found out that my rear drum bearings have crapped out (there is this obnoxious wobbling noise), and also the frame is separating at the plastic hinge thingy. Pretty disappointed for the $200 price point. I'm gonna talk to Performance and see what they have to say about this.

linuxboy   Road Racer [May 19, 2002]
Strength:

Very quiet, they fold flat, the connecting cord seems very durable, well constructed and low vibration.

Tires squeak when they hit a sweat spot or when riding race tires like Axial Pro''s.

I purchased these rollers to train indoors during the winter and to have something to warm up with at races. I have to say they are very nice. They are not terribly expensive and do have a fair amount of resistance. As one reviewer already mentioned, the drums squeak when you sweat on them. They also squeak if you use a high end racing tire on them such as Axial Pro''s. As with any roller, they need to be placed on level ground (i.e. not on a slight hill at races) and your tires should be pumped up to their propper pressure to limit bouncing. All in all, for the money, they are a great set of rollers.

Similar Products Used: Rear mount trainer, Krietler rollers.
Jay   [Feb 07, 2001]
Strength:

Reasonable Price, alloy rollers

Not as good as Kreitler !

I bought these in Dec. 98 and was happy with them UNTIL I tried some Krietler Dybo-Myte rollers ! The Kreitlers were a little more expensive ($275 for LBS demo model), but they were smoother, resistance was about the same, and overall quality was better. I only use rollers for training now, after many years on the Cateye. I use Cyclops videos for a REALLY good workout (even do one-leg drills). I have learned to get started without extra suppoert, can use waterbottles while riding, and can 'sprint' out of the saddle (just don't lean to far forward, keep the weight back). Can't ride without hands yet, maybe some day !

I weigh 160, no problems with Performance rollers. I have a friend that is over 200 pounds, he has had problems with the bearings on two sets of the Performance Pros (Performance does back up the product, but there is the ... inconvienience
factor) 'throwing/leaking grease'.

My recommendation: IF you can learn to do rollers (anyone can, just keep at it, took me 4 sessions 'in the doorway'), and it takes time to not only do the basics, but increase your skill level AND ability to do more than the 'basics' (read: stay on them) ... go for the Kreitlers the first time around !! Rollers RULE !!!

Similar Products Used: Krietler Dyno-Myte, Cateye Cyclosimulator
Chris Cleeland   Road Racer [May 14, 2001]
Strength:

Price, solid feel, smaller diameter drums (more resistance) than most others.

Not a Kreitler.

As a winter training machine, this is excellent. I used this all winter, most mornings for 30-60 minutes each. Really improved my spin.

The drums are very smooth and there's very little noise. I'm middle-of-the-road on the weight spectrum--170 lbs--so I haven't had any problems.

The worst situation I have is that when I sweat (which I do) and it drips on the front drum, my tires squeal when they hit that patch. Cleaning the drums can be tedious, but it's not that bad.

If you want Kreitler rollers, buy Kreitlers. These definitely aren't Kreitlers. But, for the price, they're VERY nice, they fold compactly, require no extra resistence. My only complaint is that the frame hinge seems to be right where I want to put my foot down.