CycleOps Magneto Trainers

Magneto

The Cycleops Magneto is a progressive resistance. With progressive resistance the resistance level automatically increases or decreases depending on the speed. Training video included.

mitchell   Road Racer [Mar 04, 2010]
Strength:

good workout
good price
looks good
easy to set up

a little noisy

I needed something so i could train through the long winters that i could afford. this trainer was easy set up and delivers a great workout. it is noisy when you get going faster but besides that its great. it is definitely not a fluid trainer though.

Similar Products Used: taxt wind trainer
DrGavS   Triathlete [Sep 29, 2008]
Strength:

Solid unit, easy assembly

Noisy
Difficult to manage tension
Lacks easy release lever

I bought this trainer because I need the remote adjustability that fluid trainers do not offer, for doing DVDs such as Spinervals.

Easy to put together and solidly constructed. But that's about where I stopped liking it.

It is being compared to a Tacx trainer that I have at home in Australia. So compared to that:-
1. Tension adjustments are difficult to manage/keep constant. Magnetic dial at the base, adjustment in the middle of the cable, and then the lever.
2. It lacks the easy clip in and out lever at the magnet, so each time I loaded up the bike, it was at a slightly different tension.
3. It shredded a tyre every 2 months.
4. It sounds like a jumbo jet taking off when used at > 20mph, and I have not found a way to lessen this (and it seems to be a common problem noted at this site). It's not very friendly to use this early morning or late at night if you live in a unit.

I am replacing this unit and writing off the cost as a rash decision to restart my training as soon as I arrived. You will probably see it on Ebay soon.

It is probably best suited to someone that can leave a spare bike fitted up on the trainer somewhere that it will not annoy the neighbours or rest of the family, say a garage or a spare room?

Another piece of advice - the Climbing Block is not very friendly to your fatherhood insurance if used whilst down on your Aero Bars :(

Similar Products Used: Tacx Sirius, Speedmaster
SuperB   Recreational Rider [Oct 19, 2004]
Strength:

sturdy unit, relatively quiet, easy setup

Pedalling seems to get easier once you reach a certain rpm.

I chose this trainer based upon some good reviews and price. I am not a racer and just wanted to be able to hook my bike to a trainer for indoor riding at night, on rainy days, etc. I am pleased with this product. The unit is sturdy and is pretty easy to set up. I got a very good deal on this trainer, but since have found the Cycleops Fluid for only a bit more.