CycleOps Mag Trainers

Mag

The Mag trainer uses MAGNETIC FIELDS to generate a wide range of adjustable resistance. Flip the lever to control resistance by moving the magnets in relation to the flywheel. The Mag trainer's unique design incorporates an internalized flywheel for an unbeatable smooth and quiet ride.

michael   [Nov 04, 2014]
Strength:

Construction, price, has a remote adjuster.

the remote doesn't stay in place on the handle bars.

I've had a handful of trainers over the years starting out with a Vetta windtrainer in the mid-80's and for the money this is the best trainer I've owned. The other thing that I have with the trainer that makes a world of difference is the cyclops virtual trainer software. In the past I could never go more the 20 minutes on a trainer with out getting so bored I had to stop my workout. Now I can do about 1.5 hours, and this year is going to be a wet winter so I'm sure I'm going to put miles on this thing.

kmunny19   Triathlete [Feb 06, 2009]
Strength:

price for overall qualities/value
stability
ease of use
kicks my butt when asked (pretty often)

not quiet

may potentially have upper limit of resistance, for the extremely highly trained rider

I was looking for a good overall value in a trainer, and feel I found exactly that. I use it fairly aggressively, for interval and steady ride training, and cannot outrun the mag. its very stable, easy to use, and of apparently solid overall build. I'm able to easily use the bike to adjust the resistance while riding with the trainer set in its highest resistance. From the feel of it, I can't imagine I'll need more resistance from the trainer itself. Its not quiet, but I can easily hear any dialogue in the movies or traning DVD's I watch, without annoying others in the house. Maybe it would be a bit too loud if I was in an apartment building, but maybe not. I also really like the Real Rides DVD that came with it. So much so, that I bought the other Real Rides (Power) and would buy more if they made them.

Similar Products Used: none, possibly clouding my judgement
Michael Rommel   Commuter [Nov 16, 2008]
Strength:

Gives a nice strong workout.Much quieter than others I've had.

None to speak of.

I was looking for an above average trainer and talked to many people and researched the internet.I chose this one because of the loyal customers and good reports.I was not disapointed.This is a very good Mag Trainer.It's strong and quiet.

Similar Products Used: Gym products.
cmauri76   Road Racer [Apr 22, 2008]
Strength:

Fair price, Cycle Ops stands behind their product

Loud at high RPM, Quality - fair/low

Overall product accomplishes what it was designed for. I have been training on the off season with it and have been able to bring my performance up to a new level. The drawback of this unit is the quality. The bolt stripped after 2 months of use. The upside was that customer service was very friendly, didn't ask any questions and sent out a replacement bolt and nut within a week. The unit is a bit loud at high RPM. But for the money paid, I think it is a good buy.

Similar Products Used: only trainer used
Fotocellar   Road Racer [Jan 03, 2008]
Strength:

Control difficulty through bike.

A little noisy.

Price is a little high at $219. I bought this trainer so I can keep riding when it's raining or it's extremely cold. I had it for over two weeks now (right in time for the winter), and it gives me good work out in my garage. It can be a little nosy but I have no problem listening to my walkman while riding on it.

Make sure you don't tie up the mag unit too much since it will kill your inner tube. A little bit loose will not decrease the resistance since the difficulty levels are controlled by your bike gears.

I will give it a 4 for over all value for it gives me adequate work out in-door.

jwilliams   Road Racer [Feb 17, 2006]
Strength:

Sets up quickly and provides adequate resistance for all but the hardest sprints.

Gets pretty loud during interval sessions.

This is for the updated Mag unit that CycleOps states has increased resistance. Smooth and quiet at lower speeds. Develops some noise above 22 mph during workouts. Overall, it does what I need it to do which is allow me to work on spinning and establish my foundation for the coming season. Sprint work is for outside.

Similar Products Used: Performance Peakload mag trainers, racermate wind trainer (after 20 years, it still works)
CSLovett   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great machine for the price!

Very poor directions. They should put all the english directions together rather than seaching through to find the next step and forget the pictures - they were horrible.

Not bad for the price. Well made. Very Durable except for the plastics used, but they have not given me any trouble yet. The directions were very poor. Hard to read and even hard to follow. The pictures with the directions were of very poor quality and of no value at all. Would I buy it if I had it do all over again, yes, but I would make sure it was fully assembled after now seeing those lousy directions.

Similar Products Used: I looked at many.
deadi464   Weekend Warrior [Dec 30, 2002]
Strength:

see summary

the cable design and mount assembly really do suck, as does the plastic mounting bracket for the cable anchor.

The cable mechanism is poorly designed, the instructions that come with the unit appear to have been pasted together from fax copies. The frame and resistance unit appear to be well made however top end resistance seemed a bit light.