Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainers

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainers

The Road Machine from Kinetic is a fluid trainer featuring a sealed fluid chamber containing silicone resistance fluid that is guaranteed not to leak.  It offers consistant resistance no matter what the external temperature is, and wit...

[Jan 05, 2017]
Steve J

Strength:

Solid construction, road like feel, durability

A bit costly to import but I'm being picky considering how long it's lasted.

10 Year Review. I purchased my RM direct from Kurts back in 2006, Over the years I have thrashed this trainer. It works as well today as the day I bought it. It's very rare that I would give any product a 5 start rating but I feel this is well earned. Well done Kurts.

[Oct 12, 2013]
Tim

Strength:

Smooth resistance, and plenty of it for larger riders. Kurt has a power chart which tells you the power generated at the speed you are going. When used indoor with the Kurt bike computer the display tells your wattage in addition to speed, You can do without the Kurt computer and just reference the chart, but it is a nice motivator to see power output.

BUT- a few years later I am bringing it back to dealer for 2nd warranty replacement of resistance unit. First one failed after about 1.5 years(provided intermittent level of power- I thought I was getting awfully strong, but when I was registering 500+ watts for an hour without breathing hard, I realized it was not working right.). About 1.5 years later the same thing has happened.

really liked this the first year I had it.
for indoor training Kurt has a power chart which tells you the power generated at the speed you are going. When used indoor with the Kurt bike computer the display tells your wattage in addition to speed, You can do without the Kurt computer and just reference the chart, but it is a nice motivator to see power output.
But 2 units failing has turned me off. I still have a Minoura mag trainer from late 80's that works.

While I am a larger rider (200 lbs.), and not real weak; I am 62 and am not putting out unusual power for a semi-competitive rider my size.
Maybe ok for small riders who do not put out as many watts as clydesdales.

2 different minouras, and rollers

[Jan 26, 2011]
icepilot00

Strength:

durable, tubing is well made-heavy duty. fan is quite, doesn't seem to wear rubber down as much as what others do.

no complaints or weaknesses that I have noticed so far

Got this trainer for Christmas. I did alot of research and was torn between this one or the Cycleops fluid. My wife made my decision for me and bought this one at the local Performanc Bicycle shop. I am getting back into the sport, and with the horrible Washington winters, knew I would need an indoor trainer cause I am not into riding outside in rain and cold.
This trainer is solid. Made out of oversize tubing, nice and rugid. Fan is big and smooth. So I put my bike (Trek 2.1) onto the trainer-easy and quick. Started riding and it's SUPER quiet. I can easily hear the tv or my ipod without turning up the volume super loud. The bike rolls smooth on it, feels just like riding on the road. I have used it quit a bit just in a month amount of time. The back end stays centered on the roller, and my rear tire is not showing that much wear at all. It shows a little wear, but not so bad to where rubber is flinging off all over the place.
It is a little pricey, but I don't plan and didn't plan on buying another one anytime soon.It has a lifetime warranty also, so that also sold me.
It does come with a spinervals video, which was a pretty good video. Also came with a different skewer (common, plain type) and comes with a different cup for the rear axle mount (i used this one for my bike just due to the quick releases working better on this cup).
Overall, very happy with this trainer and recommend to all!!

cycleops fluid

[Jan 23, 2011]
Runr44

Strength:

Quiet, solid feel, smooth, realistic in terms of gearing.

It would be nice if the legs had some height adjustments, but it always seems to level out wherever I put it.

I've had several trainers since the 80's. This trainer feels solid, is pretty easy to mount and give a very smooth feel. Nothing is exactly like being on the road, but this comes close. There is a nice responsiveness with no lag and it really does seem to match my gearing on the road. It is quiet enough for me to watch TV or use my iPod with the volume at reasonable levels. The weight and finish are substantive, which give it a feel like it will last a long time. I've had it for a while and have been riding it a lot the last couple of months because of snow. I actually look forward to riding it in the morning - not something I ever felt with a trainer before! I rate it a 5 because it is as good or better than anything on the market even though it isn't perfect.

1UpUSA (about as good), CycleOps, Blackburn, Performance and others

[Jan 17, 2011]
krishna

Strength:

Everything everyone else has already said.

Heavy - if you like to spin before races you're going to need a separate trainer. I've heard it is noisier than other fluid trainers -- it certainly is no less noisy than my $100 mag trainer. Neither of these were too important for me but may be for others.

I've had the trainer for 6 months now - can't believe I'd lived this long without it! Resistance is very smooth. Somewhat noisy but less so than my previous on (cheap mag trainer). My tires squeal a bit -- a quick web search shows others have eliminated this by buying special trainer tires. I don't mind enough to spend the extra $40 or so, however.

Used a simple mag trainer for the last 10 yrs or so. If you are not racing there is no reason to purchase this product -- unless, of course, money is no object. The big difference between the two is the KK allows for smooth increase in resistance which feels very realistic. Again, if you are not racing, you can get a very good workout with a cheaper trainer -- resistance IMHO -- is only important for training to race. And even then, only if you live in a climate where you cannot get outside during winter.

The unit is somewhat noisy. I tend to ride when rest of house is sleeping (5am). Wife says it sounds, from downstairs, like a washing machine. That's with a carpet and soundproof mat inbetween. Luckily she also says its like whitenoise to her and rather comforting :-)

[Nov 19, 2010]
TFR

Strength:

quiet, loads of resistance as speed increases. starts at very low resistance level- so good for anyone. Wattage output is helping motivate me- altho use of MPH is for all practical purposes the same.

power computer seems to jump around a bit- unrelated to output. Will pump value rating to a 5 for the trainer. Power computer would get less due to fluctuations

very smooth with lots of resistance. Quiet too. Lifetime warranty a plus for me. Also got the Kurt wired Power Computer. The computer is set to show watts (speedo calibrated against some type of power meter). Not sure if watts accurate, but gives me something new to look at, and so far has been a big motivator (tried to keep up with the clydsdale on a Spinervals training DVD). Will be checking wattage output against a tune powertap and will report on wattage accuracy.

[Nov 10, 2010]
jhfleck

Strength:

Solid piece of equipment
Realistic Ride
Quiet
Option to add 12lbs to flywheel for an even more realistic indoor ride.

The Kurt Kinetic Road machine seems to be the best indoor trainer on the market. Its solid build and solid warranty make buying one an easy decision. Sometimes riding an indoor trainer can be monotonous and unrealistic, but the Road Machine, with its professional 12lbs flywheel makes pedaling and coasting very realistic.

Getting the applied roller pressure just right took some practice, but after a few pedal strokes I was able to go back in and easily adjust the pressure.

CycleOps
Blackburn

[May 09, 2010]
HazemBata

Strength:

Frame uses large diameter tubes. Very solid...an elephant can ride it. The resistance unit is big and built entirely of metal. Resistance is just right. Surprisingly quiet. I only have to turn up the volume a little more than what I usually set it at.

I am really enjoying this product. I use the spinervals with the trainer when I am in a pinch. I can get a great workout in 35 minutes.

Unit came with a Spinervals DVD. I wanted a different one. I contacted Spinervals and Kurt and they each sent me a new one free of charge (I got to keep the DVD it came with). Great service.

I did A LOT of research before I bought this trainer. Everyone likes it. I think I only found one review in which the unit leaked. Kurt replaced it right away with no questions asked. If you have the budget, trust me, just get this one.

Retail price is about $320. Seems like a lot to pay but it is a great product.

Nothing that hasn't already been said.

Built like a tank.
Quiet.
Great resistance.
Lifetime Guarantee.

[May 09, 2010]
NZVET

Strength:

Solid frame
Leak proof unit (reliability)
Realistic ride feel
Kurts service

This is a solid, reliable trainer that well deserves the good wrap it gets. When I was looking for a replacement I wanted reliability more than a guarantee. After all, getting stuff to and from New Zealand can be costly although expedient. The RM has never missed a beat and after 3 years of punishment still no signs of leaking unit. The extra cost of importing was well worth it. Undoubtably one of my best buys.

Minoura cable

[Jan 04, 2010]
DaveG

Strength:

progressive power curve
quiet
wide stance prevents rocking
heavy flywheel creates good road feel

sloppy welds

I bought the Kinetic because I was disappointed with the power curve of my magneto trainer. I liked the simple operation of the Kurt and the warranty. The Kurt is definitely an improvement in the power curve department. The curve is progressive and feels realistic. Resistance is more than adequate to provide high-power interval training. The heavy flywheel also helps with a good road feel. The wide stance of the Kurt frame takes up more space but makes it very sturdy and prevents rocking. The attachment mechanism is simple and works well. I was able to get a secure attachment without much fiddling. Overall the unit is fairly quiet

The not so good. The mitering and welds where the bike attachment assembly attaches to the main frame is quite sloppy and cheap-looking. There are visible gaps, rough metal and poor-looking welds. I doubt this impacts the performance of the unit in any way but it does look cheap. The plastic swingarm that holds the roller against the tire seems out of place. I would have preferred to see a metal part here. If there is going to be a durability issue with the Kurt, my guess is this is the area that could have problems. The resistance unit itself seems quite beefy and well-made.

Nashbar magneto