Minoura RDA850D Trainers

RDA850D

Rim drive trainers are great for mountain bike training and road race warmups where you do not want to compromise the tire surface

mark H   Road Racer [Dec 27, 2011]
Strength:

-value
- smooth feel
-sturdy and stable
- reliable
- resistance unit easy to guage and has a good feel

- a little loud
- low resale value
- low bling/clout
- resitance clamp low quality plastic and can crack

So, ive used rollers, and most recently the Kenetic rock'n'roll and i must say i like trusty Minoura 850D. The remote works like a charm (althouh the clamp is cracked and i had to fix..but i digress) and with jsut 5 settings it does not get too confusing and when you are feeling worked and jsut want to put in some hours/miles to please strava and your followers its easy. With the kenetic there is no such thing as a truely easy spin. For those looking for value this thing has gotta be it. Its portable (great for race day warm up), modular, smooth and best of all inexpensive Not sure what these go for new but on ebay used these thing go un-bid-apon all the time and often if they are snatched up only go for 50 bucks or so.

Similar Products Used: kreitler rollers
kenetic rock/roll
Ciombola1   Road Racer [Mar 01, 2011]
Strength:

Value for money, sufficient resistance for endurance, relatively low noise, low heat transfer to rim, easy assembly, solid construction, reliable distributor

Will not satisfy everyone's needs, skips sometimes, idiosynchratic horizontal positioning.

Doews exactly what I wanted, gets me a high HR and calorie burn for minimal time indoors for recovery and endurance specific training. I expect it to feel different to a road ride - no wind, potholes, angry motorists, traffic lights etc. I don't expect it to replace the road!! Whingers complaining about road feel, get a grip! In the time I used it I would have spent easily the same money on tyres so if I have to replace it when it konks out who cares?? I think critics of this device should put into pewrspective the dynamics of magnetic resistance and mechanical contact for a rim, it is probe to surges and bound by limited resisance./ Used in context of my needs it's fit the brief perfectly. And being a former frame designer and mechanic, I'm rather fussy with equipment. If Campagnolo made one it would be triple the price and performance which I would purchase happily...but they do not.

Similar Products Used: TACX, Elite & Minoura trye drive...I'll never use another tyre drive again, not even Mag-rollers.
pmchan   Road Racer [Feb 10, 2008]
Strength:

quite, inexpensive

Using the unit for about 2 weeks and done 7 workout on that.

It can provide enough resistence (max 500w on 50KMH) for most racer and resonablely quite. However, the ride feeling is not exactly "road" like.

If you want to train your sprint, this unit is not for you. Otherwise, it is a quality product with reasonble price tag.

Dan Tillirson   Commuter [Sep 10, 2006]
Strength:

Can't think of any.

plenty beginning with set up

Makes lots of noise, squeals and does not resemble "road feel". It does not fit small narrow rims very well at all - wants to slip when starting off.

Similar Products Used: performance rollers
bocoll   Recreational Rider [May 05, 2006]
Strength:

Inexpensive. Reasonably smooth ride.

Unable to mechanically withstand years of heavy use.

Trainer gets about 9 hours/week of use. During the first year parts of
the magnetic resistance assembly started breaking off inside the cover
and the unit eventually seized. I was able to disassemble it, clean
it, and put it back together with a hose clamp to hold it together and
it's been working OK since then. That was over a year ago.

The v-belt wore out after about 2.5 years (no surprise with heavy use)
and finding a replacement was difficult. Branford Bike advertises
replacements belts "for all Minoura rim drive trainers" so I ordered a
belt from them bit it was too wide and the wrong size and wasn't even
close to fitting. At first they wouldn't take the belt back but
eventually did after I filed a complaint with the BBB and US Postal
Inspection Service although I never got my return shipping fully
refunded for what was entirely their mistake. Awful service. I finally
got a belt directly from Minoura who seemed very happy to help out.

Similar Products Used: Other trainers.
mrnobs   Recreational Rider [Feb 10, 2005]
Strength:

sturdy and stable steel frame, good price

almost everything: loud, burnt smelling rubber rollers, flywheel broke!! unrealistic road feel

I purchased the Minoura Rim Drive trainer after favorable research online. The advantage of rim drive being that it doesn't wear your tires. The frame is heavy and sturdy, but I was disappointed with the ride quality and durability. This trainer is much louder than expected, the rubber rollers give off a nasty burnt smell, and the ride feel is unrealistic. After limited use (a few dozen rides) over 2 years, the flywheel casing broke (plastic) and shortly thereafter the unit "froze" and wouldn't spin at all, redering it useless! Poor design and quality--not what I expected from Minoura.

Similar Products Used: none
Hudtm   Road Racer [Dec 30, 2004]
Strength:

Doesn't wear your tires. Quiet(ish) It's good enough for Endurance miles and even Power Intervals.

Just not enough resistance. The remote is redundant really....like I say above it's OK for Endurance etc you can get your HR up there...but for slow Muscle Tension stuff (low cadence/high resistance) it's no good. Sprinting? No good- your legs will spin off your hips and run down the road in front of you.

Classic case of not doing enough research. I race a number of different classes (MTB, CX, Crit) so I wanted a multi purpose unit where I didn't have to change the wheels out etc. and it had to be quietish as I will sometimes be using it in hotel rooms. It meets all those criteria but recently when I have been trying to do low speed high tension stuff it's not cutting. Not enough resistance. Not sure if there is a unit which will cater for all my needs but considering what I padi for it....not good value.

Similar Products Used: First one I've had.
Joel Rainville   Road Racer [Nov 11, 2004]
Strength:

Price compared to Tacx and Cycle-Ops, construction, serviceability, stability, rim drive

Average resitance, might be a bit low for those with massive quadriceps and/or granny gearing, suits me just fine though

In my opinion, this trainer is a simple yet very well thought product. It looks easily serviceable, which is important to me. The user manual has a detailed schematic, even including all the inner parts of the resistance unit, with their parts # so ordering replacements (if need be) should be relatively painless. I am confident this trainer will last me a lifetime. Or at least my knees will quit before it, and that's good to know. The rim drive adjustment is simple. The two rubber wheels that contact your rim are independent. You adjust their height and position relative to your wheel with the included allen key. Nothing's done automatically, you decide precisely where it contacts your rim on both sides. It isn't idiot-proof though, someone particularly careless could blow a tire quickly by having one of the rubber wheels contact the tire sidewall. But just look closely what you're doing, and you're gonna be fine. I like how simple and rugged the whole process is. It is also flexible, letting you mount almost any kind of wheel or bike on it. There isn't much to say about the bike retaining mechanism. You squeeze the rear-end into it, and it holds it quite firmly. You can use your own quick-release skewer or the one supplied with the trainer. My Shimano 105 skewer is plastic. The included one is all metal. Guess which one I used. You might be able to use adaptor nuts on a non-QR skewer equiped bike, I haven't tried it (yet) though. The resistance levels might be the only downside of this trainer. It isn't the lowest (the 500 as lower resistance), but it isn't the highest. The biggest gear on my Cyclocross Jake the Snake bike being 48x12, at the highest resitance level, I am not sure I could build strong quadriceps just with this trainer. But I didn't buy this trainer to work my quadriceps either. so far I have been using the middle resistance setting (#4) with my 48x16, pedaling between 70 and 100 rpm, and got my heartbeat to rise between 50% and 85% of my max HB, which is all I needed this trainer for. And I still have 3 resistance levels and 3 higher gears should my level of fitness improve over the winter. This thing is also amazingly quiet. I was used to my stationary bike, with it's tension belt rubbing against the huge front wheel. I thought the sound wasn't too bad... until I tried the Minoura. You hear a faint high pitched whirring sound from the magnets, and that's it. However, be aware that if you have downstairs neighbours, while they certainly won't hear the magnets, your floor will absorb vibrations coming from your pedaling, and that might (or not) be annoying to them. Use a thick carpet underneath, or even better, some office-type cork board. That's what I use, and neighbours don't complain.

Similar Products Used: Sears stationary bike
mendotamatt   Recreational Rider [Mar 25, 2004]
Strength:

Durable construction. Easy to set up and ride on. Does not ride on tires. Quiet when in use.

Leans to one side. Not a realistic feeling trainer.

I received a Minoura Rda/850D as a gift so all in all it was worth the money :) But seriously this trainer has done me well. I have the one with the remote control for resistance and it always works properly. Although it does not feel 'realistic' to actual biking, it does train your legs very well. I only have one problem with mine and it is it slightly leans to one side so I have to prop it with a thin board (shim) to level out the bike. Other than that I've had no problems.

pooh bear   Racer [Apr 04, 2003]
Strength:

Stable, easy to set up, relatively quiet, smooth, good resistance progression (5 levels).

Remote clamp is made of brittle plastic and broke. Minoura does not respond to e-mails about warranty claims.

This is a review of the 850D, tire drive unit with the remote. Easy to setup, tire sticks well to the roller in all but the hardest sprints (in any sprint there's a bit of slip at first, but not bad). Get a cheap tire to use on the rear, since you'll wear a flat spot pretty quickly. The unit is quiet, smooth, and the resistance settings progress nicely from an easy spin up to the equivelant of a pretty steep hill(400 +/- watts).Not quite as quiet as fluid units, but not bad. Has a surprisingly realistic road feel and enough resistance to make virtually any rider suffer at the higher settings. I have a little over 500 miles on mine and the only thing that doesn't work well is the small clamp that holds the remote to the handlebar - it broke early on and Minoura has not responded to my e-mails.

Similar Products Used: SLOCUM Wind trainer.