Minoura VFS-G Trainers

VFS-G

VFS (Variable Fluid System) The VFS combines a fluid and magnetic unit which offers expanded levels of resistance. Specially designed double cup (patent pending) internal vane system moves the fluid through the unit to powerfully generate exponential resistance while the magnetic side helps to balance the unit by increasing the power range of the system. Minouras heaviest ever 1.5 kgs machined steel flywheel. Convenient foot pedal engages/disengages the roller in seconds. 2-year warranty on the resistance unit and a 5-year warranty on the frame.

Craig   Triathlete [Jan 20, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth and quiet operation. Setup takes only 60 seconds or less.

Always feels like you are pedalling up a gradual hill. When you stop pedalling, the unit stops the tire within 2 seconds.

I love this trainer. Riding on this trainer feels like riding on the road. It is very smooth and very quiet. Unlike other trainers that I have heard about, I have never had to replace a tire due to the "wear" created by the trainer. The gravity wheel to roller fitup will not wear out your tire prematurely. I have been using this trainer for over 2 years now. When riding on this trainer, even my lowest gear feels like I am riding up a slight incline. It is a great workout.

Similar Products Used: none
OVERALL
GarthCook   Road Racer [Jul 19, 2008]
Strength:

Great resistance, quiet, variable control, low tyre wear. Gravity frame gives a natural feel to the bike.

'Road' feel not as good as CycleOps Fluid2's through the rear tyre

I tested several trainers. I dicarded all the mag-only units as lacking sufficient reistance. The cateye CS-1000 is great but too hard to get in good condition now, and the modern equivalents are too dear for me. The Minoura rim-drive slipped under load and the Cycleops Fluid2 was very good but seemed tough on the frame. I chose the Minoura VFS-G over the Fluid2 as it had more resistance, variable resistance, was quieter and the gravity-frame is reputedly kinder on carbon bikes.

Similar Products Used: Elite mag trainers, Cateye cs-1000, Minoura Rim drive, CyleOps Fluid2
OVERALL