Performance Fluid Trainers

Fluid

Performance Fluid Trainer

walbrenham   Recreational Rider [Jan 21, 2011]
Strength:

Not many.

Cheap plastic sleeves where it absolutely needs to be metal.

While tigthening the rear axle support, the screw in device will not tighten suffeciently to support the bicycle. While riding the exerciser, it will loosen (even after locking the device, and giving it an additional 1/4 to 3/4 turns) the Plastic sleeve has a totally insuffecient ring that breaks after a few hours riding and then you cannot tighten it properly again.

Similar Products Used: Fist trainer.
ahan92   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2008]
Strength:

Well-built
Smooth and Quiet
Great value for the money

Not enough resistance when I am in good shape and on my 53-12

This review is the the Travel Trac Century V Fluid trainer. I have used this trainer in the winter for the past year, 3-4 days per week. It has worked flawlessly and managed to whip me into shape when combined with training videos or podcasts from CTS and Spinervals. My only complaint is that when I am in good form, it doesn't provide enough resistance to do climbing intervals at low cadence (below 75 rpm).

Similar Products Used: Cycleops Mag Trainer
rpboxster   Recreational Rider [Sep 24, 2008]
Strength:

Quiet, smooth, realistic. Great value (esp on closeout/sale). Good build quality.

None so far, but it's only been a month.

Travel Trac Millenium V Fluid+Mag with adjustable resistance (red one).
New to biking and to trainers. Just acquired a Fuji Cross Comp (love it). Tried many trainers in store. Intended on the CycleOps Fluid2, but liked this one much better. Closeout price brought it to $180, less $70 on my Performance card (from the bike) and it was a steal.
Setup is easy, the unit is quiet, and I really like the 'real feel' of the trainer. Lots of resistance options with the cable that allows 5 different levels. The unit seems very well built, doesn't get too hot after 45min of use. The bolt-in arms pivot at the front, so the weight of the bike rests against the fixed roller at the back. This seems like a better design than fixing the wheel and bringing the roller into contact. Folds down for storage.

Similar Products Used: None. Only tested others.
dwcassidy   Commuter [Feb 09, 2006]
Strength:

Affortable. Sturdy. The adjustable tension. Easy set-up. The feel of an actual ride.

Maybe a little noisy in a small apartment, but I'm sure all trainers are a bit loud.

This is the first trainer I've used. I needed something to ride in the evenings so I can stay in moderate shape and feel like I'm getting some exercise during the week, not just on the weekends. I did a lot of reserach before buying from a local Performance shop and I'm really happy with my purchase so far. It feels like I'm really riding on the road; it's smooth, and sturdy. Between the 5 adjustable settings and utilizing all of my gears, I get a great workout. I'm 6'3", 190, and I feel comfortable out of the saddle and jamming on the pedals. I usually spend about 30 - 60 minutes on it 2-3 times a week and it's a great workout.

Similar Products Used: none.
tapeng   Recreational Rider [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

quite, smooth, adjustable resistence, price

"Travel Trac Century fluid plus adjustable trainer" name sucks.

I just received my performance Travel Trac Century fluid plus trainer yesterday. Out of box the trainer doesn't look stunning as 1Up CPR I had but a solid one. Setup is pretty easy. The rear wheel clamping cups has plastic insert to protect the frame or skewer if they made contact. It also come with a skewer. The resistence adjustable handle has 5 levels and can be easily mounted to handle bar. It took me 10 minute to put it together with bike on it. Here come to the best part. I can adjust the resistence to allow out of saddle excercise and still have room to go harder. While out of saddle the frame is stable enoug unless I make too much lateral movement. The resistence unit operate very quite and resistence is smooth. Hard crank does not cause any slip and has good road feel. If compare to 1UpUSA, 1UpUSA CPR is a World class looking trainer and the performance is a similar trainer without the look. With performance I easily sweat 3 or 4 time more than the 1Up. Bike on trainer has tripple crank (52/42/30) and I am able to use 52/12,13,14 to do out of saddle crank with highest resistence. I was attracted first to its adjustable resistence which does not disappointment me at all. Then I realize even seated with easiest level it produce consistent smooth operation and good road feel. Consider price paid and lifetime warranty from performance I can't be happier. I will post my review for 1Up trainer in next few day.

Similar Products Used: 1UpUSA CPR trainer.
ebowen   Racer [Dec 02, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth, quiet, sturdy. Much better than the CycleOps Fluid 2.

A little bit of assembly required, and a couple small design flaws (see full review).

This is a review for the new Millenium Plus with the fluid/mag combo with variable resistance. I have used the Travel Trac with HF500 for years, and I would encourage everyone to spring for the extra dough and upgrade to this unit. The old unit got slighty off kilter over the years and was not level, also got a little nosier with time, and I virtually wore a groove in the drum that contacts the tire. All these problems look to have been remedied in this new more expensive product. The unit is sturdier, has a better mechanism to hold the bike in place, and the drum is bigger. The resistance unit is the best that I have tried, including the 1upUSA and CycleOps Fluid 2; it simulated road feel perfectly. It is very smooth, quiet, and provides perfect resistance. A 53 x 17 on the road feels just like a 53 x 17 on the trainer; this has always been area of strength for the Performance Fluid units. I have also tested the difference between the road and the trainer with a power meter, so I know this to be a fact. There are a couple of design flaws that you will need to fix to make Millenium Plus work perfect, though. The screws that hold the drum to the spring plate are too long, and will actually prevent the drum from rotating if tightened all the way. Make sure you put a few washers in place or use shorter screws. I would also oil the spring and make sure it is firmly bolted to the frame, as it started making some noise after about an hour of riding. These are minor issues, but until I figured out what the problems were, I almost took the trainer back for a refund. For this reason alone I must assign a value rating of 4, otherwise, everything else rates a 5. Look, I know there are a lot of other products in this price range, but trust me , this is a winner. Read my review of the 1upUSA before you waste your time. I have also heard that CycleOps has not worked out their design flaw, and their trainers still are prone to leak. I am not just tooting the horn of Performance here; I do think some of their other stuff is crap. I will certainly let you all know if I have any problems down the road.

Similar Products Used: 1upUSA, CycleOps Fluid 2, Performance Travel Trac with HF500, and an old fan unit (don't remember the maker).
steve   Racer [Oct 26, 2003]
Strength:

price, quiet, smooth

None yet, but if it breaks I will let everyone know. I have blown through a number of trainers so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Just got it. So far so good. Plenty of resistance. Quiet. Just as good as the Cyclops fluid trainer, just less money. If it holds up, it is going to be perfect. No need to spend any more money. Well worth it. It is the best way to stay in shape during the winter months for those of us that don't have much time. Wake up early, watch the news and hammer it.

Similar Products Used: minoura Rim Drive- Cycleops fluid
Rob   Weekend Warrior [Feb 18, 2003]
Strength:

Sturdy and stable. Quiet.

Not enough resistance, as of now, I ride the hardest gear and if I'm not on the trainer for at least 45 minutes, I'm not getting a decent workout. And over the past month, I've noticed the resistance unit is becoming noisier and noisier. It especially clatters quite a bit for the first few minutes, then seems to quiet down after it's warmed up. I think I've just worn out the unit after a few months. I have been training about 5 times a week this winter.

I bought a Performance Travel Trac 2000 off of someone on Ebay. The unit was in almost new condition. Training indoors is great during the winter time and I'm hoping to get out of the gate quick come this upcoming riding season.