Tacx i-Magic Trainers

i-Magic

• Cadence (pedaling RPM's): current, total trip rpms
  • Heart rate: current, average and maximum heart rate
  • Distance and time functions: trip and total distance

Martin Gruebele   Triathlete [Dec 12, 2010]
Strength:

-Records wattage, heart rate, speed, cadence info
-Has basic analysis software, 3-D terrain, designable workouts, and video"real life" rides
-Sturdy, survived years of sweat raining on it
-Can ride against your earlier self once you have ridden a course; no one can push you better than your previous best
-Great boredom relief
-Easy internet updates of software

-Software (version 2.x) is a bit finnicky to set up, requires your OS to be set up just right, but stable once everything's right
-Can't do steep climbs (=10%) accurately
-The equations of motion cannot be tweaked (2.x) to match your bike; the settings are like a very aero TT bike, good for TT riders, but a bit optimistic for road race simulation

Good product. I use the more expensive version with the steerer, so you can navigate the virtual terrains, rather than follow a pre-guided path. This allows you to make up your own courses. It comes with a road, cyclocross and mountain road terrain. Compatible with standard Polar-style HR monitor belts.

Similar Products Used: non-computer trainers only
BrianLas   Triathlete [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

Many:
accurate (mostly)
fun
easy to store
gets you a good workout

stability with the program at first was a problem
my cadence sensor has broken and is hard to set up just right for me
humbles my slow butt when I get beat by a bunch of good riders

My wife bought this about a year ago (Christmas '08) and I have loved it since. Riding in 12 degree temperatures was not my thing, so indoor training was the only way I could ride in the winter. I got this, and found a few guys online who ride together. I bought my multiplayer license and would ride about four times a week with a group of about 15 guys, M7. We usually do RLV, but the VR is fun as well, more like a video game than a workout. We used Skype to talk trash, and it was literally like a training ride within your computer room. The product itself does a good job of simulating road conditions. The imagic can only simulate up to about 5% gradient, then uses virtual speed, which is more/less accurate. It does save your legs though, compared to the Fortius. Great way to workout. I have done some of the RLV rides in real life, and it is fairly similar in terms of time to ride.

Similar Products Used: ordinary trainers, nothing too expensive though
Munkey   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2009]
Strength:

Many different options in programs and the exercise bike mode is fully customizable. This trainer is the closest to real road riding I have used. Resistance is more than I would ever need. Eliminates trainer boredom with goals and computer visuals.

Like any other trainer it eats tires. Colorado Cyclist sent the wrong trainer first time and it took a few weeks to fully resolve

I purchased this trainer last year and have been riding it since then. The setup is simple and the software was very easy to install. There are three main programs video footage, virtual reality and something similar to a gym exercise bike. The trainer's magnetic resistance is smooth and increases with speed giving a true to life riding feel.

Similar Products Used: Tacx Swing, Cyclops, Elite Wind
claybustr   Road Racer [Oct 04, 2008]
Strength:

It provides a good workout and appears to be made well. The real life training CDs are very nice.

The software can be a nightmare to load if you 1) don't know what you're doing and 2) if your PC has any issues.

This has been a love hate relationship. My wife bought this for my b-day and when it arrived it was missing the USB interface. I waited over a week for the part and started installing the software on my primary PC at home. (I have 6 in the house between the kids, mine and my wife's laptop.)

Anyway, I soon found out that the software is very fragile and it requires your PC to be nearly perfect operationally. I spent over 10 hours trying to get it running on my PC. I kept getting an error when launching the app.

Finally I had enough and sent an email to cbike.com stating that this was a complete piece of garbage and that I wanted to exchange it for any other brand trainer. As I was boxing it up and to ship it back my 7 year old daughter begged me to try installing the software on her PC. In less than 30 minutes I had the thing up and running as advertised.

I've used it for 3 or 4 rides since and it's pretty cool. There aren't a lot of big hills where I live so I wanted it mainly to simulate a little climbing. While it doesn't appear to be like the real quite like the real thing it is a very good workout for when I cannot get home in time for my outside ride or when weather prevents me from riding outside.