American Classic Front Micro Hub Hubs

• Grease Injection
  • Silver or Black Anodized

• User Reviews (6)

Todd Richards   Road Racer [Aug 18, 2008]
    Strength:

they glide so well especially at high spped. i'm always passing people on decents, and have to squeeze the brakes constantly when drafting. very fast.

120 psi max on a clincher, but speed mentioned above makes-up for any lack of tire pressure. i like riding them on 20c tires better than 23c. they are still very comfortable.

I bought the AC 420 bladed spokes with ceramic bearings and can't say enough good things about them. the speciall BillShook design nipple works great, the aero profile is just what i was loking for. I've had no issues with the front hub as others have, probably becuase i got the ceramic upgrade? they are smooth as silk and I've had them in lots of bad conditions. I weigh 180lbs, use tem for tt and crits, but not 'cross.

Similar Products Used: Mavic open pro rims on Campy record hubs, Zipp 404 (way more money, a but lighter but I'm afraid of riding something worth that much)
    brizza   Road Racer [Jul 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, Cheap, Light, and did I mention light?

Endcaps screw directly into the bearings making hub adjstment difficult. There are no rubber caps to keep dirt and water away from the (sealed) bearings. I got caught in the rain returning from a race, and my hubs felt like rubbish the next day. Micro bearings wear very quickly if you get the load wrong. Don't over tighten your QR! The lack of adjustment and micro bearings

AC have a very lightweight design, with very small bearings. If you're looking for lightweight these are good hubs

Similar Products Used: Ultgera and 105 hubs
    DirtDad   Road Racer [Jan 20, 2003]
    Strength:

Weight, strength, durability, aerodyamics, value. You can build a world class wheelset with standard parts and maintain it easily.

Not widely available like Mavic stuff, but American Classic phone support makes up for that.

I have ridden a set of American classic hubs hard for over two years now, including the Micro front and the Ultralight rear. I ride them for everything, including a daily commute. I hop curbs, take them down stairs at the train station, ride centuries, etc. These little gems have been no trouble at all. They are weightless, and their small size makes them very aero. They roll effortlessly and the bearings seem as smooth today as when they were new. My wheelset is 1/3 lb lighter than Ksyrium SLs, and I plan to shed another 100gm with American Classics 350 rims.

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SLs, Dura-Ace, Ultegra
    Keith   Road Racer [Apr 29, 2002]
    Strength:

Lightweight, sealed bearings that are easily serviced. In difference to the other reviewer, these hubs have BALL bearings of conventional cartridge type. No adjustments are necesary as bearing clearances are set at time of manufacture. The lightweight nature is due to Shook''s design intent, using the aluminum axle under compression from the skewer to support the bending loads while the Ti collars support the minimal shear. Hat''s off to Bill for such an elegant design the WORKS!

Hard sell to conventional school types.

Light, DURABLE and well-built.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Campy
    JD   Road Racer [Jul 20, 2001]
    Strength:

Light weight

Lack of adjustment (but then again they've never gone out of adjustment).

I'm usually very hard on wheels (I usually end up destroying at least one or two a year), but for such a small hub, it's held up very well for the past 5 years that I've owned it. I don't have any complaints about it at all. It has worked admirably and is still as smooth as the day I bought it...
    I'm surprised that there isn't any flex out of the hub because it is so light and small, but then again, I've got it mated to a Zipp carbon rim which adds some stiffness. I also only use the wheel for racing, so it is only ridden 50-60 times a year, which could be why it has lasted so long without any problems.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Gippemme (sp?), and Campy hubs
    Woof the dog   Road Racer [Jul 08, 2001]
    Strength:

very light, good for a very light wheel, perfect for climbing. Perfect to use twice a month for racing only. Good for radial lacing. i.e. see their website.

This is one of the examples where light is too light. These hubs have tiny needle bearings from what I gather. I heard they can die after 1000 miles. After a few hundred miles the hub is just very rough, like full of sand. I am light, but haven't had good luck w/ this hub. WHERE IS ADJUSTMENT ON THESE HUBS? nonexistent of course. It either works, or it doesn't. With ball bearings in normal hubs, everything works perfect. Why such a bad luck?

I wouldn't trust these hubs for training. They are suitable for occasional racing only. Maybe AC should make them around 100 grams (tiny bit heavier) to have some kind of bearing adjustment. If you don't try them for yourself, you wouldn't know, plus, seems like I am the only one writing a review on these, so maybe someone else had a good experience with this hub. I recommend these hubs to rich yuppies who have enough money for stuff like this. don't know..... 2 stars overall for light weight.