American Classic Ultralight Cassette Hub Hubs

• Grease Injection
  • Silver or Black

• User Reviews (9)

Adam Lobert   Recreational Rider [Aug 06, 2006]
    Strength:

Light weight

Poor bearing quality, "Screen door" aluminum

The ultralight rear road hub is certainly light in weight. It should only be considered for use by the person who loves to replace and adjust bearings often. Unless the rider stays out of the rain, expect to replace the bearings at least every 1000 miles. There seems to be no such thing as optimum bearing tension. The locknuts are either too tight, or wheel play is noticeable. The frequent adjustment reveals the poor quality of the materials. The locknuts will show wear starting with the first adjustment.

Similar Products Used: Hope, DT-Swiss, Campagnolo
    brizza   Road Racer [Jul 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, cheap (as a wheel), light, attractive, light.

Micro bearing will wear quickly they are gritty. The freewheel is too tight and copmresses the bearings when pressed in. Requires a more durable bearing design. A little weight won't hurt.

The rims and wheel build are great, but these hubs suck.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, 105, RSX100
    Billy Smithers   Recreational Rider [Aug 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Light, shiny, smooth, quiet, tough, reasonably priced, easy to maintain, good waranty, and did I mention light?

Not enough thread to tighten down the Campy 10s lockring properly on my hub. I was told that this was unusual and that it could be fixed under waranty, but I didn't want to wait a week or two to ride while the hub was repaired, so I fixed the problem by putting a 3mm spacer beween the small cog and the lockring.

Got these wheels built with Velocity Aerohead/AeroheadOC rims and 36 Wheelsmith 15DB spokes per wheel. <1600g for the pair with rim-strips and skewers. Pretty good for a $340 wheelset. I was told by the wheelbuilder that around the beginning of April 2003 American Classic released a new version of their cassette hub with a quieter, more durable engagement mechanism. The new design seems to be working pretty good for me as the hub has been running smooth, quiet, and problem-free since I put the wheels on my bike more than 3500 miles ago.

Similar Products Used: Low-end Shimano cassette hubs (Alivio and RX-100), Performance Forte sealed bearing hubs
    dvankat   Road Racer [Apr 21, 2003]
    Strength:

light stifff beautiful

gee, the fact that they had a bad design, KNEW IT, and still sold the damned hub? Would it take another Kivilev or what? As a shop employee, how can I recommend this company?

Yikes! 2 rides and it fails? Wow. I was extremely excited to have these wheels built up. Mated with Velocity Aerohead rims, light spokes, and tyed and soldered--very light and stiff. Took them on a two hour ride with no problems, felt fine. Raced them the next day and everything was going fine until, on a section of rollers, I started freewheeling in the middle of the pack! The rear hub completely disengaged and my pedaling sent me nowhere! This didn't happen on a hill, standing up out of a corner (Tyler Hamilton style!), or in a sprint--"just riding along" in the pack! Upon inspection that night, a thin (thinner than a paperclip) piece of wire snapped. Rests against the cam plate and engages the cassette body when you pedal. The success of the hub rests on this little thing?!? So we call AM Classic the next day and it turns out ol' Bill Shook has recently turned to a new design that incorporates this wire. Also turns out they've been having problems with this exact problem but have continued to sell the hubs! I deplore the lawsuit culture we live in, but imagine if I had totalled myself in a wreck because of this! AM Classic would have a hospital bill on their desks... Anyways, I am seriously anxious about riding this hub again (been sent back for repair/replacement). This really sketches me out--I don't like to wreck any more than the next guy or gal... Failing grade to such a stupid design. Here's to hoping they revert back to whatever they had--seems that it worked a bit better.

Similar Products Used: Hugi, Bontrager/Hugi, Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Chris King
    Phil Kramer   Recreational Rider [Dec 15, 2002]
    Strength:

Beautiful, light, fast. At only 1400 grams in built wheels and less than 300 for the hubset, low $/gram compared to other botique wheels. No bladed spokes and enough spokes that I (155 lbs) feel confident riding them.

Needed modification to fit, and respacing the axle is much more difficult than it should be. It took many tries to get the axle nut tension "just-right". These hubs are also super tight and haven't loosened up after 150 miles. Backpedaling with the rear wheel off the ground will spin it in reverse. The ratcheting is loud, even though I regreased the hub before putting it back together. I've been told this will remedy itself with time.

First off, these hubs are gorgeous. The wheels I bought have Velocity Aeroheads and are absurdly light. My climbing bike feels responsive and fast with them. I did have one problem when installing them: At first the axle spacing seemed off, with the rim not centered in my frame and the chain just barely contacting the left seatstay in the smallest cog (Dura-Ace cassette). I solved this by disassembling the hub and adding a 19/32x25/32x3/64 washer under the left locknut. After this the fit was perfect.

Similar Products Used: Sun Venus rims / Dura-Ace hubs, Mavic CXP23 rims / Ritchey hubs, various others.
    Keith   Road Racer [Oct 14, 2002]
    Strength:

Light (225 grams) and durable. Inboard left flange builds a wheel with a greater balance in spoke tension. My wheel actually has higher tension on the left (non-drive) side but that's my secret.

The non-drive flange has a skeletonized pattern that doesn't match the drilling. This makes for a flange of varying stiffness with respect to the spoke tension. As such, it might not be suited to some lacing patterns. It works fine with standard lacing patterns.

I bought this rear hub with a 28 spoke AC CR350 rim. It built into a wheel under 700 grams...nice. The first thing I noticed was the rachet noise and thought it was going to be a problem. That was unfounded after properly lubing it with its excellence in design grease fitting. This hub is designed for minimal weight with little sacrifice in durability. The drive side flange is solid and the rachet pawls are spaced on a very large diameter, making for a robust system. Bearing quality is top notch and I have yet to have any trouble. With the grease fitting, I should never have any problems with service.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
    bjarne   Road Racer [Aug 28, 2002]
    Strength:

Light,good looking,aero,not carbon.

Lasted only 3 weeks

I´ve just bought a CR-420 wheelset 3 weeks ago, and first impression is that they are great. Light and stiff. But afer 10 days the rear hub got loose, and the bearings where noisy. I send them back for repair and the dealer replaced 2 bearings. Now they are loose again, and this time the dealer will replace the axle and all the bearings, hoping it will do the trick, but I´m not happy, and I think I proberbly gonna have to get my money back.

Similar Products Used: Rolf,Zipp,Helium
    needforprivacy   Road Racer [Oct 01, 2001]
    Strength:

Weight. Looks. Product support; the technical information provided (although my supplier did not think I needed this information) is comprehensive and lucid. Simple to overhaul.

The need to adjust the axle to retain some play is different to conventional hubs. If this is too loose, the bearings may wear prematurely. If too tight, the bearings may wear prematurely. If they are set correctly, but the skewer is too tight, the bearings may wear prematurely. This is a relatively new product. I think that Am.Classic will eventually find some way to isolate the bearings from the lateral loads through the axle.

Really elegant design. Easy to service. Take this hub apart and you''ll look at "conventional" hubs differently. It makes them look primitive, to say the least. Everything here is minimalist, which makes it relatively expensive, but the basic design elements could and perhaps should be adopted by manufacturers of cheaper, heavier, products. American Classic provide exceptional product support indicating real confidence in their quality control and real pride in the design. I acquired my hubs as part of a wheelset (see a scathing review of Speed Dream Wheels) and the problems I experienced were entirely due to the clown who sold me the wheels, disassembled the rear hub, removed vital parts (presumably in a misguided quest to lower the "headline" weight of his wheels??) and managed to send them to me with incorrect axle tension. However, American Classic were still exceptionally helpful in restoring my hub to its intended specs.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace, Coda.
    Lawrence   Road Racer [Oct 01, 2001]
    Strength:

Looks, weight. Really neat design - you can dissasemble it and marvel for yourself. Simple to service. Replaceable cartridge bearings, so you needn''t worry about pitted cups. The freewheel makes an expensive sort of noise.

Hignsight is 20/20. 1) You need to be very careful about the tignening of the hub and the skewer. Its all explained in the tech info, but this isn''t a product like the off the shelf Shimano hubs and so on. So, you know when you get the bike back from the shop and the kid who works weekends has been told not to leave the quick releases too slack? I could imagine being caught out (once) this way. My bearings were, I now realise, hideously adjusted when I got them. 2) I''m told that the bearing seals can pop off in some circumstances, exposing the bearings. Mine, I now realise, were deliberately removed. These hubs are not idiot proof.

This is an excellent product. Its high end - designed to race, must be used correctly. Because of this, American Classic provide copious amounts of lucid technical information, none of which I recieved from the guy I bought my wheels from. This clown also "modified" the bearings, indicating that he''s not much of an engineer. the result is that two of them were completely knackered after about 4000km. But American Classic have provided excellent customer support since then.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra, dura ace, Miche.