Chris King R45 Hubs

R45

Build an ultra-fast race wheel around the super-light and incomparably smooth Chris King R45 Road Hub. These racing-specific hubs offer a 20-percent reduction in weight over the already light Classic Hubs and come in a variety of spoke drillings to accommodate your wildest wheel-building dreams.Precision-machined stainless steel bearings provide a smooth, fast rideAluminum hub shell is built to lastAnodized finish looks great and wears well

Greg Seader   [Dec 15, 2015]
Strength:

Super high quality, beautifully finished, rear hub has very fast engagement, great warranty.

Have ridden 10,000 miles, including 10 double centuries on Chris King R45 Hubs laced to HED Belgium Rims (28 spoke front and rear). These wheels are smooth riding, very light, stiff and extremely durable.

adam wade   [Aug 19, 2014]
Strength:

The sheer quality of the engineering straight from the US of A means the hubs are creamy goodness matched with lightning quick speed.

Chris King don't make enough of the manufacturing quality and tolerances employed in building these products.

I decided a year ago to upgrade my wheels from Mavic SLR WTS as they were simply not sturdy enough for a large (230lb) rider. Spoke to my wheel builder in the UK about various options and decided on some Enve 3.4 rims matched to the Chris King R45 hubs with Ceramic bearings and Sapim CX ray spokes. Having used them since the spring and covered about 3000 miles so far they are simply sublime. They have got better and better as the miles have increased.

The wheels spin so fast on the flat and certainly save me some effort on the rides. Along with the extensive warranty these are a must have.

I wish that Chris King made a lot more of the fact these are made in America, even though I am from the UK, as I am sure people want to support local businesses against the Far Eastern manufactured products if the quality and reliability is there.

All in all I cannot praise these hubs and Chris King enough for their products.

HoogleDaBoogle   [Jul 18, 2014]
Strength:

Purty...as a shiny ornament

Not for actual wheel building or use in a real-world cycling application.

Rear hub flew apart like a tissue-paper shack in a hurricane...on the very first ride. Unless you are a 135lb pro that gets everything for free, stay far away from pseudo-boutique crapola like these hubs. "Regular" folks will do much, much better just sticking to Shimano Ultegra hubs...and will have lots of bux leftover for copious amounts of post-ride beer. .

mervbro   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2013]
Strength:

Nice performance, quiet rear hub with nice hum when spinning (unlike Mavic's loud clicking)

PEWTER COLOR IS REALLY LAVENDER IN SUNLIGHT

I ordered the R45's on a set of custom built wheels. In looking at the rainbow of colors available on the Chris King website, I went with "pewter" since it appeared to be a cool dark grey. When I got the wheels outside in the sunlight, I realized that they had turned from grey to what I would describe as... somewhere between purple and pink mixed with grey.

I called CK to see if maybe mine were just a bad set since they did not appear as pictured on their website and was told that the anodized finish has that effect in light, causing them to shimmer in tones of red and purple. They explained it as though it was a cool feature and that there was nothing they could do.. I told him to change the website pics to be more accurate.

Now I have a black bike with red/white accents...and purple hubs. I'll be buying a can of spray paint the next time I walk by a hardware store - it is that annoying.

Gavin   Recreational Rider [Oct 25, 2012]
Strength:

Phenomenal rolling qualities - smooth, ultra-quick engagement, low friction/drag, quiet

An expensive luxury, and not necessarily the lightest hub out there. Aluminium alloy cassette body a little soft and prone to scoring, but you're not going to see that on the road.

3,000 miles so far, and they've performed flawlessly. The front hub does what a front hub should do, but the rear is where the magic is. Engagement is very quick, which isn't normally noticeable on the flats, but phenomenal on hills and in rolling terrain. Laced to Stan's Alpha 340 rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes for a stiff, light wheel (24/28 F/R), total weight around 1,300gms for the set. In fact, the Chris King R45/340/CX-Ray rear with an Ultegra casette weighs less the front stock Bontrager SSR alloy clincher on my Madone, taking a full 600gms of the weight of the bike for around $1k.

Best part about these hubs, though, is the freewheel noise... That angry bee noise isn't as obtrusive as the competition (especially the DT-240s), but makes a very satisfying noise as you fly down hill. Enough to encourage you to climb just to hear that noise on the way back down!

Similar Products Used: Bontrager SSR / TLR hubs
Bikedave1234   Recreational Rider [Sep 24, 2011]
Strength:

Solid and well-built, Made in America, Angry bee sound.

I had these wheels built by my LBS. I chose the Chris King R45 road hubs after having good results from their cross hubs. I matched them to HED Belgium C2 rims with DT Swiss spokes. These wheels replaced my Mavic SL Premiums after I cracked my rear rim with a big pothole. These wheels are heavier than the Mavics, which I expected, and have 32 spokes. The weight and the spoke count are virtually unnoticeable. These wheels are smooth and spin up easily. I have the option of running lower tire pressure with the HED rims which makes them better on broken pavement. The hubs are well-made and have the Chris King bee sound I have come to love. If you want "Made in America" quality then go with Chris King and match them to the rim of your choice. I also use Chris King cross hubs on my cross bike matched with Mavic Open Pro rims. I love them as well.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race, Easton EA-50, Mavic SL Premium, Mavic Open Pro with Chris King Cross Hubs
lipster95   Road Racer [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

a little

alot

these things suck balls.

Similar Products Used: alot
thirdwig   Road Racer [Nov 18, 2010]
Strength:

Great sound. Great bearings. Hubs more focused to road use. More spoke options. Less expensive than a DT 240. Better flange dimensions than other road hubs. Great freewheel

Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Some early freewheel problems. Make sure you maintain these hubs, and they will work well for a long time.

I called Chris King for two months waiting for them to come in. After they finally did, I built them up to DT Swiss 585 rims, Sapim CX Rays 32 3x rear, and 28 2x front. The wheels are quite strong, but a little heavy.

The hubs have done well. They don't seem as overbuilt as the Classic hubs, so they are a little better for the road. Super light hubs, with great smoothness. The freewheel mechanism works well, and is a little more suited for the road with the fewer engagement points. The flange dimensions work a little better for a road rim, and allow for a variety of rim choices, as does the drilling options. I have been pleased. Hopefully they will last for a long time.

Of note, about two months into using these hubs the freewheel was not engaging, effectively freewheeling both forward and backward. Sent them back to King and they fixed it. They were pretty quiet about what happened. The hubs were one of the first shipments out, so the new product could have had a couple bugs to figure out. Seems to work fine now, as I have about 3000 miles with no problems.

Similar Products Used: DA hubs, Mavic Wheel
notoriousdjw   Recreational Rider [Oct 21, 2010]
Strength:

-light, fast, no initial seal drag.

-If you love the angry bee sound, it's still there. If you hate it, there is less of it.

-lower spoke count options.

-expensive

R45s laced to Stans Alpha Rims with DT Revolution spokes. This wheelset is like the road version of what I use on the mountain bike (King Iso Disc hubs, DT Comp, Stans 355 rims). I haven't run these wheels tubeless yet but will probably try the Hutchinson tires at some point. The main reason for going with the Alpha hubs is that they're light and my 29er mtb rims have held up very well. The total wheelset weight is 1350g which is pretty awesome. So far I have only a couple hundred miles on them but the biggest difference from other CK hubs is the lack of drag when new and the quieter ring drive. These wheels spin great right out of the box and make less than half the noise of my mtb hubs. The bike feels so much snappier in acceleration with these wheels compared to the previous Ritchey wheelset. That wheelset was fairly light at around 1600g but didn't roll as nicely. I'll report back after a couple thousand miles but at this point I've very impressed.