Phil Wood Road Front Hub and Rear Hub Hubs

Phil Wood Road Front Hub and Rear Hub Hubs

Front-57 mm flange diameter with canting and flange separation optimized for 700C rims Front axle : 12 mm diameter, high tensile strength aluminum alloy, Q-R axle, 100 mm spacing Front hub assembled with Phil Spec'd TM, PW001 sealed cartridge bearings Assembled with Phil Spec'd TM, PW001 sealed cartridge bearings Rear-57 mm flange diameter on both drive and non-drive flanges Front axle : 12 mm diameter, high tensile strength aluminum alloy, Q-R axle, 100 mm spacing Front hub assembled with Phil Spec'd TM, PW001 sealed cartridge bearings Rear axle: 15 mm diameter precision ground, stainless steel, Q-R axle 19 mm diameter knurled, heat- treated and hardened stainless steel axle end caps Rear hub assembled with Swiss made Phil Spec'd TM, PW902 sealed cartridge bearings

[Oct 17, 2009]
jason

Strength:

Good response.

Would like to see a campy free hub body.

Got to break in this slightly used hub. I'm looking forward to seeing how long these ones last.

Campy Veloce (broke it after 2 years)

[Dec 03, 2008]
waldo425

Strength:

It's strong and rolls well. It will work perfectly for me.

It's well worth the cost. I don't see any yet.

I just got this after riding on a no name hub since August. I had heard of Phil Wood and the reputation; so far it has lived up to that name. Very nice wheel indeed.

[Jan 31, 2004]
Glenn

Strength:

Lightweight and bullet-proof.

$$ - but, only up-front. You earn it all back by the fact that it just doesn't wear out. If it does, you can put in new bearings and it becomes the same as new.

Bought a PW Ti BB to go with my new Record 10-speed group in '01 and it rides are smoothly today as it did when I bought it 15K miles ago. This is one nice piece of gear. Every bit as good as advertised.

Campagnolo, ShimaNo, Tange.

[Nov 10, 2002]
Paul S

Strength:

DURABILITY

NONE

I've been using the hubs for more than 15 years now. I've never had them serviced. They are still going strong, never a problem.

Chris King hubs on MTB

[Feb 17, 2002]
boneman

Strength:

Build quality and reliability.

With the freehub models, weight and lack of Campag 10 spd offerings.

I''ve used Phil hubs since 1975 and love their build quality and reliability. Not the lightest nor the most innovative (look how long it took to get the freehub model), they stand behind what they make. Customer service is superb. For the hardcore racer, way too heavy. But for the rest of the riders, the way to go. Very few products get the 5/5 but Phil hubs and BB''s make the grade.

N, S & C Record, DA, Ultegra, Hi-E, and Goldtec.

[Jan 02, 2002]
gregorybrylski

Strength:

Build quality, finish, durability, maintenance and ride are all great.

None.

I''m really happy with the hubs. Build quality, finish, durability, maintenance and ride are all great. I have two sets of wheels for my touring bike, both have Phil Woods hubs. Three cheers for a product this good!

Dura Ace

[Aug 21, 2001]
Mark

Strength:

Durability, reliability, strength, smooth ride.
My bike was built in 1976 - the PW hubs are original equipment. I rode it all over Europe for several months in 1977, with me (>190 lbs.) and about 100 lbs of gear. After that trip, I used the bike to commute > 100 miles per week for many years, and occasional long rides on weekends. I recently got the bike down from the rafters and started riding in earnest again (about 600 miles in the last month). After 25 years, the wheels are amazing... the mechanic at a local bike shop raved about how the wheels 'just want to spin all day'.

If you plan to have a bike for the long term, buy quality. For me, the quality and durability of the PW hubs and bb I got in 1976 speak for themselves. The money I paid for them then seemed like a lot... but today that cost seems very low.

If you're focussed on price, and not value, you may choose a lower cost alternative. If you're concerned about weight, you can find lighter hubs. But I seriously doubt you'll find longer-lasting and/or higher quality hubs. I don't know if the quality of the hubs PW is turning out today is as good as what they sold me 25 years ago, but I'd sure give them the benefit of the doubt.

[Jan 24, 2001]
TT

Strength:

I've used Phil Wood Products for 25 yrs and NEVER had a problem with any of the products. EVER!
Now, I have a new set of the cassette hubs and the quality is supreme. You can take the entire rear hub apart with one hex key and wipe down the cassette pawls, re-grease and have it together in a few min.'s. Bearing quailty is like a swiss watch. Phil spaces the flanges to minimize difference in spoke tension between the drive and non drive side.

No skewers and a bit heavier than other high octane cassette hubs.

Get these if you want reliable wheels. While DA and Campy are lighter, these are more durable than either, faster to service and build a stronger wheel than DA or Campy.

Hint! Weight of these babies is due to come down significantly. Ask about the alloy rear axel that is being tested as we speak. With that installed, these hubs are almost the same weight as DA.

Dura Ace, American Classic, Hugi

[Jan 04, 2001]
Mike Restivo

Strength:

Quite literally the smoothest rolling hub I have ever seen. Seems well built and impervious to dirt and grit.

Price. $319 for a rear hub? C'mon. Give me a break. For $319, the hub should come with tiny Martians inside that propel the bike for you.

These hubs are great if you have money to burn and want quality and durability. I "inherited" a front Phil Wood hub from my wife's bike and absolutely love it, but I don't have a matching rear for it and refuse to pay $319 for a hub. Again, I have ridden some of the best in the business, and these are the smoothest hubs I have ever seen - and that's not even accounting for the fact that they are several years old (8-9 years old, perhaps?). There is no qustion in my mind as to quality, but these do take a hit due to price.

Chris King Classic hubs, DuraAce, Campy Record, Mavic 601, White Industries

[Jan 15, 2001]
Derron Blakely

Strength:

Smooth Smooth Smooth
Fast Fast Fast
They spin forever and they look cool too.

They're a little heavy. And they're a little expensive

I used to think that Mavic 556RD hubs were the coolest, smoothest hubs ever. Not any more. These PW's have NO bearing rumble. They are really solid feeling and don't give me any resistance on the road. I guess that solid feel contributes to the weight too. I'd recommend them without reservation, even though they're a little dear.

Used to have Mavic hubs, demoed Campy chorus and Dura Ace hubs