Rox USA Ultralight Rim Strips Rim Strip

Rox USA Ultralight Rim Strips Rim Strip

Adhesive-backed nylon. Fits virtually all clincher rims. 17mm width.

[Jul 24, 2012]
Paulo B

Strength:

Lightweight, easier to install tires due to thinness of rim strip

Can be hard to install properly. Can have 'mysterious' flats. Doesn't last a long as other rim strips.

The drawbacks are not worth the weight savings. Use cloth tape or one piece plastic strips instead and never worry about your rim strips failing.

I've used Rox Rim Strips for a couple years and, like others, I also had problems initially. It was because the tape was centered on the rim but the spoke hole were off-center and tubes were flatting in a couple holes. Once fixed I had a couple years of luck with them. However, I recently was having flats again near the valve stem. I couldn't determine the cause why but guess the end of the tape was causing it.

The tape must be tight when installed and I believe it will failing sooner if a fully inflated tube isn't left installed on the rim.

[Jun 24, 2010]
aribann

creeps
fails at spoke holes from exerted tube pressure

Bad stuff dont do it

[May 06, 2009]
go1dens4

Strength:

weight, easy to mount

My rim strip on my rear wheel after aprox 3000 miles or so started to bunch up, probably from changing tires tubes ext. this caused part of the spoke hole on my rim to be exposed which will eventually cause a puncture at high psi. NOTE: I do have a slight dish in my rim they are aero I would not use these strips on a single wall rim they would probably work horrible which is what some people on here may have done that are complaining

Product is good and will not last as regular rim tape which is why I have to go buy some cloth garbage before I order some more of these strips from online.

cloth rim tape

[Jul 20, 2005]
techmgr

Strength:

None, that's the problem

Durability Performance Puncture tubes easily after a few weeks

Wow, this is a horrible product. I started getting flats and it was insidious at first. Then I was able to start to see that the tape was pushing down into the rim, and the pattern of the punctures pointed down at the rim tape. Forget the weight savings. Once these go after a few short weeks, they are gone. The time lost and aggravation make this product a zero. If you are keeping to lower pressures they might last.

[Apr 17, 2005]
007webgod

Strength:

Extremely light. Makes mounting tires easier.

Little more expensive than conventional cloth. Durability is suspect.

Way lighter than the conventional Velox cloth tape. Mounting tires is also easier. Does not get soaked and retain water in wet riding like cloth tape. I've used the Rox tape on my Velomax Tempest wheels for over 1000 miles so far, with even a couple rain soaked rides, and I've had zero problems. Will it last as long as cloth tape? No, but if installed properly it should work fine for...well, don't know yet. I'm hoping to get a years worth of riding out if it. Only time will tell. So far, I definetly prefer this Rox tape over the Velox.

Velox cloth. Performance brand cloth. Plastic strips.

[Feb 24, 2003]
moabbiker

At first glance, you wont believe this tape, which basically looks like reinforced scotch tape, will be able to perform its duty. But I've had mine on for a few months now and no problems whatsoever. It is expensive, but on a weigh weenie price/performance scale, it's probably the cheapest 'upgrade' you'll ever come across.

[Sep 09, 2002]
tihipscrew

Strength:

Light.

Susceptible to rupture on sharp spoke holes, tend to migrate over time (I've taken tires off after long service to find the strips kind of, like, wrinkled. But still covering spoke holes and functioning).

I've used these on many wheels, and they've always been fine UNTIL... Do not use these with Velocity rims. They don't have eyelets and do have sharp spoke holes (just as the reviewer noted below re: Rolfs apparently). I had two wheels with high pressure (at about 115 psi) Vredesteins blow while they sat in the pit together, and the culprit was a failure of each strip at a spoke hole. I'd love to have seen the spectators/officials reactions to tires nearly spontaneously blowing out while IN THE PIT. Now, it was hot, but they were on grass. Fortunately, I did not need them.

Velox. Strapping tape (not good, mine was very heat sensitive). Factory plastic thingies.

[Aug 04, 2002]
SpacerX

Strength:

Extreme light weight.

Expensive ~$7/pair. Requires some patience/care to install under tension. Some folks have experienced problems with tearing or cave-in over the spoke holes under high pressure.

Rox strips are very thin adhesive-backed nylon rim strips, woven in a "ripstop" pattern similar to hot weather BDU fabric (i.e., the "camo" uniforms for the Armed Services). They save a few onces per wheelset compared to traditional cloth rim strips. I've ridden Rox strips for years, never having flatted due to a rim strip failure. I suspect, however, that it helps to ensure you pull taught on the strips while installing -- this will ensure zero slack and less opportunity to "slide" across any edges (i.e., spoke holes). I've sometimes had to wrestle a little when pealing the paper from the advesive-backing.

Over the years, I've also used rim strips from Velox, Michelin, SBI

[Jul 05, 2002]
PBWatson

DO NOT GO DOWN THIS ROAD. I do not how why a company can continue to sell a product that clearly does not work. I have suffered 4 flats in 0 miles. Thats right, I havent even ridden on em yet. At first I thought maybe I pinch flatted the tubes mounting them?? So I tried again & all seemed fine pumped them up a few minutes later & pow there went the front & while I was taking it apart to see what the problem was pow went the rear, never even got em on the bike. Heed the advice of the others & stay away from this product.

[Aug 15, 2001]
Patrick

Strength:

Lightweight, thin

Thin, too expensive

I've never had a problem with my Rox rim tape. On the upside, they're light. They're also thin, so it's a little easier to mount tight tires.

On the downside, the thinness can be problem if your spokes are too long. The instructions say to ensure that the spoke ends do not extend beyond the nipple, presumably to avoid the puncture problem that some folks have had.

Velox