Alex AT400 Rims

Alex AT400 Rims

• Double wall/ single eyelet design
  • Semi Aero profile
  • Wear Indicator line
  • A Shield joint, 28 or 32 holes

[Jul 22, 2010]
jodi

Strength:

strong light rimt stays true when spooks are replaced.and tighten

the spokes let the wheel down buy stretching
and braking

replace my old wheels with Alex 400
2nd ride Brock a spoke 5 7 8th rides broken spokes and the wheel keep on going out of true. so went to the lbs got a set of stainless spokes for the fount and back. put them in and did my first rades spok on the fount wheel . ride 60 to 80 ks a week no more Brocken spooks and the wheels say true .

[Jul 01, 2010]
jim brown

Strength:

looks good

will it break without warning?

potato chipped front wheel after going down steep three foot grade, 60 degrees parking lot to sidewalk, heard faint scrunging sound, paid no attention, should have. failed on tight turn thirty yards later. distelated humerus, permanent crimp in arm.
mentioned sound variance in spokes to bike shop, they said it's OK. I think not. Could have happened in street instead of sidewalk and I consider myself very lucky but I have lost trust.

used to ride Schwinn (80's,90's), Specialized (05 to now)

[May 29, 2010]
Doggity

Strength:

Cheap.

Cheap.

These are the kind of cheapo wheels that you always get on entry level bikes, and even some that are supposed to be well beyond entry level, like my 06 Roubaix was.
It wasn't more than a few hundred miles before I started busting spokes, we're talking like every 25 miles. True, I am a Clyde at 200lbs, but I'm more of a spinner than a hammerer. Like a faithless woman, damn things wouldn't stay true. Finally got a $400.00 set of handbuilts put on that bike, and all probs were gone like stink. So it was the wheels. Was it the rims, or the spokes? Well hard to say. Supposedly Spec got stung by a Korean supplier of cheap 14 gauge spokes that year, these may have been a factor. But I'm going thru the exact same thing with an 2010 Jamis Conquest Sport with very similar rims from Alex, so I can't help but think these are the reason. Avoid.

Similar to the Alex 1019's on my current Jamis Conquest Sport. If you're buying a new road bike, and the rims say "Alex", better factor in a set of Mavic Open Pro/Ultegras into the equation. You're better off having these handbuilt by someone who knows what they're doing, then buying a more expensive factory set anyway.