Alex DA22 Rims

[Sep 02, 2012]
dazzer

strength

weight but equals strength

just done the manchester 100 mile today on pot holed back lanes. still as true as the previous 1000 miles and i havent touched them. very impressed. from a 15 1/2 stone fat bellied rider.

[Aug 02, 2012]
Rodney

Strength:

Reliable

Weight

I also have a Giant OCR3 that came with the Alex wheelset and I have not had any issues with losing spokes or trueing. In fact, in April of this year I went down and the front wheel got bent a bit. I took to the shop, they trued the wheel and I have not had any problems since. I must confess that I want to upgrade but I am hesitant because these wheels have done me four years of justice. In fact I will be riding in the 2012 Tour du Port on September 30 and will be riding the 40 mile course, on these wheels. Anyone along for the ride?

[Mar 24, 2010]
Tom

Strength:

The spokes fall out and the wheel falls out of true every time I ride.

I've had a problem with the Alex DA22 Rims... they came with my Giant OCR3, which is a nice frame and a good ride other than the rim trouble. My front rim as some spoke issues... The first time I did a 20mile trail, a spoke came loose and I needed to true the wheel... every time after that when I ride, the same thing happens.

Trek 2.1

[Dec 10, 2009]
tfinator

Strength:

look, price, weight

strength (wouldnt recommend for a heavy weight rider

bought these as a full wheelset for cheap on bikeisland. used the front wheel for about 6 months riding ~150 mi/wk. ive heard of problems with the building of these rims (an old forum on here) but i think the problem has been fixed since then. i really liked the wheels, although the rear doesnt seem exremely strong.

rims on bikes

[Oct 03, 2009]
david

Strength:

they're in fact strong

boring after 6 years(ahhh....)

i've had these rims for 6 years. the rims came with my 2003 fuji track model bike. the rims and seat post binder are the only thing original on the bike. the rims are mated to surly track hubs with dt 14g plain gauge spokes in a 3x pattern. all that said the worst that has happened is that i had a flat and had to riderims for several miles which roughed up the rim near the tire bead. roughed it up but not enough metal wore away to cause any problem except the "worn look". i will be replacing the rims soon with some mavic open pros which better hold up as well!!!

none,they were the first rims i had used aftera 17 year vacation from cycling.

[May 13, 2009]
chuckieboy

Strength:

Inexpensive. Capable.

Heavy

Nothing to be afraid of here. These are decent stock wheels for the recreational rider, though a bit on the heavy side. Did upgrade to Mavic Aksium and noticed a gain of 2 mph coasting down my street. The Alex rims were stable at 43 mph though, so you shouldn't be too disappointed. Fine for entry level.