DT Swiss RR 1.2 Rims

• Value: Top end
  • ERD: 582 mm

[Jul 18, 2014]
steve

Strength:

Strong, bomb proof,

Probably a little heavy for racing, but definitely light enough for training.

I ordered a pair of wheels from D.T. with the RR 1.2 rims, (now the 585 rims), DT 3.40 hubs and 14 gauge D.T. spokes, alloy nipples, 32/28 count. I'm guessing they are about 2,100 grams/set. After about 3 years my LBS mechanic noticed several of the alloy nippples were splitting. He rebuilt the wheels using new double butted D.T. spokes and brass nipples. I've had them for over 6 years total now and did about a 1/4 turn on 3 spokes in all that time which was right before the mechanic noticed the splitting alloy nipples. I'm a 210 lb. sport rider who puts about 2,500 miles a year on this set of wheels. Haven't had to touch them since having them rebuilt about 3 years ago.
I'd love to go with a really light weight pair of 1600-1700 gram wheels but I've seen my riding buddies who range from 165-220 lbs. all pop spokes, limp home from a ride with wobbly wheels and the rear brake removed etc. or have to call
whine -1-1 for the wife wambulance. I've never had to worry about it.

[Mar 15, 2013]
D Pepa

Strength:

Strength
Looks
Reliability

Over 5000km on a custom built set with Ultegra hubs, DT swiss spokes, and these rims. Have not had to true them once. Spoke breakage will not happen. You can literally hit a pot hole full speed, head on, at a body weight of 205lbs (not fat, I work out a lot) and your wheel will not go out of true. Best damn training rim on the market as far as I'm concerned.

[Oct 17, 2011]
DRX

Strength:

Durable. Long lasting. Aero. Stiff & strong. Not flashy and they won't crack in half when you hit a pot hole.

A little heavy but so what. Go on a diet. 200g in a wheelset isn't noticeable.

Had a DT1.2 (renamed R585) rim on my rear wheel laced to a Powertap hub, 32 hole, three cross, straight gauge spokes, brass nipples. Completely bombproof wheel. Trued them up once after two years & 20,000+ miles because I sold it--didn't even really need to. Ran over a nail that went thru the tire, tube, rim strip and inner wall of rim--didn't even knock it out of true. Stiff and strong and somewhat aero. "Lightweight" is overrated. Just retired a matching front wheel w/ 50,000+ miles on it because the brake surface was worn thru and about to cause the rim to collapse.

DT1.2, DT1.1, Mavic Open, Mavic CXP33

[Jun 19, 2011]
serottarider

Strength:

Indestructible.

Relatively heavy

Bought these as part of the build of my Seven Mudhoney. They are on Ultegra hubs with 32 straight gauge spokes. Although this setup is quite heavy for racing they have been my training and backup CX racing wheels since I had them built in 2006. They are virtually indestructible—I can't ever recall having them trued! I literally put the wheel over a stake (CX training) wedging it into the spokes. When I finally got it off it was still perfect.

Open pro

[Oct 14, 2010]
kupe

Strength:

True, round, strong, maintenance/care free, reliable, solid

Not a one

DT 1.2/Chris King Hibs/Straight guage spokes - 2-1/2 years on these wheels and they have not moved one bit out of true or round since the day I got them. I'm not small at 225# on the top end, I like the sprints and I don't always miss potholes, tar joints, or chip seal. They're not the lightest wheels/hoops in the bunch, but then, neither am I. In the unlikelihood that I ever get to 5% body fat and have a pro contract on the line, I'll worry about the weight on my bike. Until then, I'll go for durability & reliability.

The ubiquitous Ultegra/Open Pros

[Dec 29, 2008]
mayersj

Strength:

Pretty to look at. I get lots of compliments. They ride even better. Smooth, stable, steady!

MAYBE a little heavy. Depends on one's priorities.

Ridden on lots over the years. These rims are so stable that I find it difficult to notice when I have flatted out. I find them to be "confidence inspiring".

All sort's of Mavic's. Easton/Velomax Circuts and Tempest II, also Zipp 340's.

[Aug 24, 2008]
Marc

Strength:

Quality. Strength. Appearance.

None that I can see.

Fantastic rims that exude quality. Easy to build up and hold their true very well. These rims just seem fast.

Mavic Open Pro. Zipp 404. Mavic Kysrium Equipe. Others.

[Jun 27, 2007]
Robert

Strength:

Highest quality just like their spokes

Black color is not anodizing but black coating that can scratch off if sharp metal object makes contact with it.

This is my first experience with dt rims and in the past I mostly built my own wheels using either mavic or campy rims.Comparing these to similar mavic cxp 30 rims these are definately made better and build up easier.Mavic doesnt join the rim together as well or as cleanly as dt can and there is no warpage at the joint where the rim is welded.Very clean and straight.

cxp 30

[Feb 28, 2007]
Bumblebee Man

Strength:

Looks.
Price.
Stiffness and strength.
Come in 20, 24, 28 and 32 hole

580g is probably too heavy for most of today's weight weenies, :-)

I'm not light (190lbs), and I was looking for some 30mm rims to replace my old Mavic CXP30s, and these look fantastic, so I bought a couple. These rims are pretty much exactly like a Rigida DP18 or a Velocity Deep V: weigh 580g, have a 582mm ERD, are stiff as bricks and so far just as strong. The advantage of these is that they come in 20 and 24 hole, along with the standard 28 and 32 hole, so the weight weenies have the option of reducing the weight with lower spoke counts. :-)

I have been mashing, trashing, crashing and curb hopping my older 30mm rims for years without so much as knocking them out of true, so, in my opinion, the 100% reliability of such a rim is worth the extra 100 (or so) grams, especially as a rear wheel.

These are by far the best looking 30mm rim available as a 'rim only'.

Mavic CXP30, Rigida DP18, Velocity Deep V