Mavic CXP 33 Rims

CXP 33

Thanks to its 23 mm aero shaped profile, CXP 33 slices through the air, while its Maxtal alloy keeps its weight low. SUP welded and eyeleted, CXP 33 is also very strong and durable. 470 grams. FEATURES Maxtal aluminum alloy that ...

mark   [Sep 17, 2016]
Strength:

Several thousand miles of loaded touring on and off road with NO problems. Had trouble with the CXP 22 and Open Pro, these seem to last forever.

The spoke inserts hold really well and I expect them to last another 10K miles

None that I have seen

Bomb Proof little sister to the CXP 30.

ercmicwil   Road Racer [Mar 19, 2010]
Strength:

Holds true. Can handle high spoke tension for radial lacing. Laterally rigid for good cornering. Excellent braking.

That darn rim joint that breaks loose. You only really notice it at low speeds on bumpy roads or when servicing, but come on Mavic. Also the graphics are a bit 80's euro trash! The CXP logo has got to change!

Overall these rims have proven to be quite durable. I've ridden them very hard, even treated them like a cyclo-cross wheel taking them down washboard gravel roads. Over 3000 miles, I've only had to true them twice! FYI. I'm 6'4" and my weight varies between 215 and 230lbs and I've always felt confident on these rims.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro.
ct2gcf   Road Racer [Jan 18, 2008]
Strength:

weight 1300g
Look
unexpencive
aerodynamic

A little fragile compare other wheels the rim section is only 23.5mm nominal.

I was a mavic gp4 wheels with mirage campagnolo hubs. Now cpx 3 rims with Record Campagnolo hubs and continental 4 seassons tires. Its a dream , light and aerodynamic

Similar Products Used: shamal ultra
synthetik   Commuter [Nov 13, 2007]
Strength:

very strong durable rim.

makes a very annoying noise. i have had 3 pairs of mavic wheels, and all with the welded joint (sup) have a little alu. shim that eventually works it way loose and rattles around. you can disarm it by taking off your rim tape and dripping some epoxy into the hole where you can see/hear the shim and let it set up overnight. if that doesnt work use a nailset to tap a little indent on the inside wall of the rim, to pinch/retain the shim. holy crap is it ever annoying though. mavic, i know youre reading, please do something about this.

mavic makes great rims. the cxp33 is one of the strongest 700c rims you can get. i dont know if its deep enough for aero, but who cares im never in a hurry

Similar Products Used: velocity deep-v
smokey422   Recreational Rider [Oct 04, 2007]
Strength:

Strength, ability to hold trueness, appearance.

Works better with 60mm valve presta tubes.

This is a follow-up to my original review. After four years, my CXP-33s are still going strong with no trueing necessary and I'm 223# and ride some rough roads. The original price I'm quoting includes the Ultegra hubs, spokes, and build by CC. If there's one disadvantage to them, it's that they work much better with a 60mm valve tube. A standard one will work, but just barely.

Similar Products Used: Stock wheels on 2001 Lemond Poprad.
Louis Devlieger   Recreational Rider [Sep 14, 2007]
Strength:

Ol'Reliable. No maintenance whatsoever needed during & after 10.000+ kms of sometimes quite crumbly Dutch roads, cycling lanes & Amsterdam streets.

Not the lightest for racing over the high mountains.

Built to be thrashed to within an inch of their lives, daily for years on end along flat & undulating roads & appalling Sarphatistraat Amsterdam! Perfectly suitable for transcontinental & Paris-Bres-Paris & the likes. Stylish in black.

Similar Products Used: Campa Nucleon; Mavic Open Pro.
Louis Devlieger   Recreational Rider [Sep 14, 2007]
Strength:

Robust and stiff. Mount them and forget about them. Never needed trueing during 10.000+ km.

A bit heavy for a race over the high mountains.

Ol'Reliable. The steady factor within any bike setup. Built to be thrashed daily for years on end along dozens of kms of flat & undulating roads & most appalling Sarphatistr. Amsterdam! Perfect for transcontinental or Paris-Brest-Paris type rides. Stylish in black.

Similar Products Used: Campa Nucleon; Mavic Open Pro.
Stevemtbr   Recreational Rider [Mar 15, 2007]
Strength:

Another great build by Colorado Cyclists. I weigh 195 on a good day and ride some pretty rough roads. The rims have stayed true with about 600 miles on them. No problems at all. But a good quaility bulid makes the world of difference.

The price is for the complete wheel set to include shipping. CXP33 built with 15g spokes 32 hole Ultegra 10 speed hubs.

Similar Products Used: MA40's, MA3's
smokey422   Recreational Rider [Aug 15, 2006]
Strength:

Strength. Stays in true, even in rough road conditions.

None.

A little over three years ago I was having problems breaking spokes on the stock wheels on my Lemond Poprad (I live on a very rough gravel road that is hard on wheels). I called Colorado Cyclist and explained my situation. They suggested Ultegra hubs with cross-3 laced 36 holes Mavic CXP-33s. The wheels arrived in good time and I mounted them with some Panaracer Paselas. To make a long story short, I haven't touched them since and they are still well in true. I'm a clydesdale and am not worried about weight, I just want good dependable equipment. These rims, along with the hubs and spokes they're laced with, are doing a great job.

Similar Products Used: Stock Lemond Poprad wheels (too delicate).
twothirds   Road Racer [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff. Stays true. "set is and forget it"

heavy

I had a rear wheel built up by Excel Sports with a CXP 33 rim and ultegra hub (32 spoke). This is for my commute bike so I needed something I could forget about. I have not had any issues with the wheel over the past year and the wheel is still stiff and true.