Mavic MA3 Rims

Mavic MA3 Rims

Machined braking surface and box shape for strength.

Weight : 470g

[Jun 03, 2010]
stevecrowley

Strength:

The best thing about these rims is that they are dirt cheap. I think they are the cheapest mavic rim you can get. Relatively stiff, strong feeling. Excellent breaking power with Koolstop all weather pads. Also they look great on a classic steel frame.

These are heavy mofos. If you have a bit more money you should go with Mavic Open Pro rims. Pinned construcion, not welded, so they are not as strong as Open sports or open pros.

Cheap, ultra low budget mavics for commuting or touring, or other applications where weight is not important. I have only about 250 miles on these wheels so far, and the one thing I have noticed is the weight. These wheels are pretty hefty. As far as stiffness is concerned, these are OK, but not great. They do look good on my bike though (1979 Gazelle Champion Mondiale). So all in all a great rim for the money (I think they go for like 40 bucks). Relatively solid but heavy, great for a commuter or touring bike.

Neuvation m28, Mavic Helium, Campagnolo Nucleon, Campagnolo Proton

[Apr 06, 2008]
ebender

Strength:

Strong. Cheap. No BS.

Boring old box-section rim.
Discontinued. Now produced, slightly modified, under the lame name "Open Sport."

These things are cheap and bombproof. Other reviewers here don't seem to understand that breaking spokes is not a rim problem -- that's a spoke/wheelbuilder problem. I've built and ridden 4 wheels on MA3s. Never a problem. I'm not super heavy (140ish), but I ride hard.

Open pro, deep v, aerohead, etc.

[Jan 15, 2005]
Bernie

Strength:

Cheap. Nearly always bang-on true laterally and vertically when new. Quite light aswell. Widely available.

Infamous for ridiculous wear on braking surfaces in salty gritty winter conditions. There's no wear indicator either, so you must 'guess' when it's time to replace it (otherwise risk injury or fatality when the sidewall explodes tragically). The problem of cracking at the eyelets is well-known and is characteristic of all Mavic's hard-anodized rims - best to use modest spoke tensions, flexible double butted spokes and build the wheel extra carefully. Best still, use a different rim.

Cheap cheerful rim, not designed with long-term durability, winter usage or safety in mind. Built carefully with double-butted spokes and ridden in dry conditions on decent quality roads, they can often last long enough to be cost effective.

Open pro, Reflex, Rigidas

[Jan 14, 2005]
Yeit

Strength:

Good value, reasonably durable

Somewhat heavy, not super durable.

These are generally decent, solid rims for the money. Not ultra durable or ultra light, but you basically get what you pay for. I got these rims with a new wheelset I bought for my Trek XO-1 cyclocross bike. After just under two years of commuting and recreational use, the rear rim is just about shot. I can't blame the rim entirely as I had a heavy load a couple times, and unfortunately the tire was a little low, so the rim bent. Again, not entirely the rims fault, but the load wasn't that heavy, so it shouldn't have bent so easily. This isn't a bad set of rims, but if your looking to build a new wheel, or replace the rim on your existing wheel, spend a few bucks more and gets something better.

[Oct 21, 2003]
the bull

Strength:

Mine is a 36 hole rim. It is bulletproof. Laced with DT double butted spokes to a reborn Dura-ace hub.

A little heavy but it is a workhorse training wheel. Not bad for what I am using it for.

Good soild rim for the money. Some knock this rim but a rim is only as good as the builder of the wheel. I have put a fair number of miles on this wheel and have even riden it on 50 miles of unpaved road. It is still in perfect true.

Mavic MA 40 (same deal)

[Sep 18, 2003]
hcubed

Strength:

Strong, stays true even after several spoke breaks.

spoke breaks

Rim came stock on a Jamis Nova. Rim itself (36H) is competent. Product came laced with generic 14/15 gage spokes and LX hubs. Rear rim had frequent spoke breakage - 6 in 6 months. I'm 200 lbs plus commuting gear, and Seattle roads are bumpy, so the rims see some hard duty. I had the rear wheel re-laced with Wheelsmith straight 14 gage spokes and it seems to have done the trick.

[Jul 04, 2003]
malonehn

Strength:

Durable Cost effective Easy to build-up

None, as long as you understand that they training/commuter rims, not racers.

I have 5,000 trouble free miles on these rims. The were easy to build up and have stayed true in the face of the cracks, pot-holes, rocks and bumps I encounter on my daily commute. I bought them for their durability, and they have delivered.

Ambrosia Araya

[Feb 07, 2003]
carcare

Strength:

The rim stayed in true and looked cool. I've heard good things about this rim from other riders. Perhaps it would be good for lighter/less-loaded-down riders who don't cross railroad tracks 4 times per day.

Spoke eyelets ripped out of the rim after about 2000 miles of city riding.

I commute 10 miles each way to work as often as I can. I bought an MA3 rim to replace an old, beat-up rim that would not stay true. I used my old spokes, swapped the rim myself, and had it professionally trued. I regularly checked the spoke tension on this wheel. The wheel stayed true and required minimal attention for about 2000 miles (just over a year). Then, one day, I heard it "squeaking" on the way to work. When I examined it more closely, I was HORRIFIED to see cracks where several eyelets were ripping out of the center section of the rim! I weigh just over 200lbs, and I usually ride with a pannier full of clothes, shoes, and a laptop, but I don't regularly jump off of curbs or anything. I also make sure not to let my rims get out of true or my spoke tension to get really uneven. I feel like the one rim I got was defective. The bike store said that Mavic only considers refunding/replacing products that were bought less than a year before. Since I bought the rim too long ago for Mavic to refund the bike store (and I had no proof of purchase), I wouldn't expect the bike store to refund me. The bike store staff was very helpful and suggested that I try a double-eyelet rim. Since I reused my old hub and spokes, there were too many variables to be positive that the failure is solely the rim's fault.

This was my first experience with a name-brand wheel, and the first wheel that I've put more than 1000 miles on.

[Jan 24, 2003]
marimba_artist

Strength:

like I said, I'm not sure if it's the rims or the hubs, or both.

If it's the rims, staying true and maintaining tensions are SERIOUS issues.

These hoops came laced to Ritchey hubs on my Jamis Ventura. I have had LOTS of trouble with this set-up. I am not sure if it is the hubs alone, rims alone, or a combination of both. In the course of my first 2,000 miles, I broke at 4 spokes, including 2 in ONE day after I had the first one repaired. I've had the rear wheel trued and tensionsed twice with the front trued and tensioned once. The rear wheel was also entirely rebuilt once (a $70 repair you want to avoid). If you take my advice, I would go for Open Pro rim instead of MA3--it seems to be the standard.

[Apr 30, 2002]
dukesgunnar

Strength:

Haven''t cracked or bent despite some hard hits. No tire bead problems. Reasonable weight for the strength.

Price of CD version.

I have the 36 hole CD version. No problems with the rim. The hard anodized coating is easy to clean but looks crappy after it wears off the brake track. I use these as my off-road wheelset on a cyclocross bike. The rims/wheels take some hard hits on my descents.

CXP33.