Mavic Open Pro CD Clincher Rims

Open Pro CD Clincher

The same rim used on the Mavic Helium wheels. Light weight rims for fast acceleration. Features Maxtal Aluminum for and a welded rim joint for durability.

tfinator   Recreational Rider [Feb 22, 2010]
Strength:

light, durable, flashy in the way that they are awesome, and everybody knows it.

...

i bike to school on these every day and also ride recreationally with them. they hold up to BIG pot holes at an extremely low weight. They beat out almost all other road aluminum rims, and easily win out in a strength to weight ratio comparison. multiple people and websites have stated that they are the best general-use road-rim there is.

Similar Products Used: da22 rims, weinman m3ii, other circular aluminum things
Mike T.   Recreational Rider [Feb 03, 2008]
Strength:

Quality rims. Perfect joint. Great graphics. Perfect anodizing.

None at all.

I use these great rims on my track bike that's ridden at the indoor Forest City Velodrome. At 50 degrees steep this track puts lots of g-force on rims and in almost two years of weekly use they have stood up perfectly. I haven't trued them once since the day they were built. Of course some of this could have something to do with the builder - me :o)

They easily allow the 140psi that I run in my Forzetta tires.

They build up easily as they are quality rims. Rims either work or they don't. If they stand up to hammering on our board track they'll be fine for road use. On my road bikes I've only used Open Pro for many years.

Similar Products Used: Have used just Open Pro rims for many years.
Jeremy   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2006]
Strength:

strong as an oax very light weight

none that I found other then it doesnt have the wow factor of the higher end designer camagnolo wheels

awesome set of rims had it on my record touring bike. I actually cracked one dont get the wrong impression I was riding at night without lights and I took a hit that almost made me lay the bike over. I still finished my training ride that night and did not realize the rim was damaged let alone cracked until I brought it to the LBS though the mechanic put it in the truing stand and it was still perfect

Similar Products Used: camagnolo eurus, Alex rims, rhyno lites.
geocan   Recreational Rider [Mar 29, 2003]
Strength:

Wow. Strong, light and comfortable.Not the harsh ride i was experiencing with my CXP23`s.

None to date.

Decided to upgrade wheels over the course of the winter. Did alot a research and these seemed to be the best bet for a heavy rider. I had them built laced to Ultegra hubs fitted to Vredestein Fortezza tires.

Similar Products Used: Been riding stock wheels...CXP23`s laced to Tiagra hubs with Michelin Axial Pro tires
zombie   Road Racer [Jan 30, 2003]
Strength:

Quality, durability and price

None what so ever...

These are the best rims I've ever had.With sapim cx-ray spokes and DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs these are also the lightest wheels I've ever had, and affordable! 1570gr and 450$ for the set. The rims are very rigid and keep in shape for a longer period of time. The brake surface is OK but not excellent (ceramic version is the best)

Similar Products Used: none
Mark Jensen   Recreational Rider [Nov 20, 2002]
Strength:

Strong, stay true.

Noise, sounds like tin cans draging under the rider.

Within one month of riding these wheels started clicking, for lack of better description. The clicking is at the connection point of the rim and spoke nipple. I had them re-built to no avail. Based on the intial buy recomendation and reviews I read these are solid wheels although I can not recommend them. I have a 10 year old pair of Mavic MA3 that have never been trued and are solid to this day.

Similar Products Used: Mavic MA3 and CXP33
chucklehr   Recreational Rider [Mar 26, 2002]
Strength:

Strong, extremely quite, fastest wheel set on flat and down hill compared to my friends wheels.

32 hole rims weigh 840 grams front and 1,092 grams rear with Dura ace hubs. However, I weigh 197 lbs. Lighter wheels would not be as stiff. I ride strenuous mountain switchback roads.

Strong, quite, very fast, easy to clean, side wall shows no sign of wear vs. other wheels.

Similar Products Used: Road Mavic Open Rims, 105 hubs for eight years.
Mark Dennis   Recreational Rider [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

Light, strong and look good.

Stay straight, don''''t weight much and seem to last a long time. Really happy with them. I have them laced to Campy Daytona hubs with 14/17 SAPIM Laser Spokes and Brass Nipples. The wheels are Light, strong and haven''''t moved from true in nearly 2,000 KMs. That includes some rough as guts roads.

Similar Products Used: None. My first road bike. Used Mavic 217 Sups on my MTB and they lasted and lasted and never went out of true.
Alex Abbas   Road Racer [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

Light, well known and tested, reliable.

Not as "trick" as the new wheel designs

Just plain great rim. Suitable for a wide range of applications, from racing (road, crit, cross) to commuting to just plain fun. And if you mess it up it's easy to fix or replace (unlike dedicated wheelsets). A little pricey, but not bad.

Similar Products Used: Open 4 CD, CXP-33, Matrix Aurora
Ed   Recreational Rider [Apr 28, 2000]
Strength:

THis is a good quality rim that is lightweight and easy to maintain. The wheel world prices are a bit over inflated these days, so I guess that these would be considered a good value compared to the prices of "wheelsets" out there today, ie., Rolf, Spinergy, Mavic wheels, etc.

They are pricey, but so are all the wheels out there right now... lets just hope that this inflationary trend doesn't move into grip tape!

These rims are all you will ever need if you are not some crazy who freaks out over new wheelsets that are 3 grams lighter. I use these for cyclocross, and they hold up really well and have a great feel to them on the road and dirt. Overall they are a good value and hold up well. Buy em' if you want a fairly lightweight and durable rim that can be used for racing