Mavic OPEN PRO SILVER Rims

OPEN PRO SILVER

Tom   Road Racer [Feb 06, 2010]

Great lightweight, strong rim that builds into a great wheelset. Spoke breakage has nothing to do with the rim folks. That's a wheelbuild issue. Same with the rim going out of true, no rim will make up for a poor wheelbuild. Build it right and it builds into a great wheel.

Eric_H   Road Racer [Aug 12, 2004]
Strength:

Build up nicely, seem to be strong enough for guys bigger than me.

Clicks, creaks and broken eyelets.

I have these rims in a wheelset built with Dura-Ace 7700 hubs (32h). The front has DT 15/16 spokes and the rear has DT 14/15 on the drive side, and DT Revs on the non-drive, all 3x with brass nipples. These rims could be GREAT as they are reasonably light and strong, but Mavic seems to have some serious quality control issues. My original rear rim started clicking after a few months, then the front chimed in. Like others, I found oiling the eyelets would quiet them until they got wet. Then, the rear broke a couple of eyelets. They just fractured off, right where they sit on the rim. I replaced the rear and the new rim seems to be a bit different. The brake track is slightly deeper. So far, it has remained quiet. I might replace the front, but since I'm using these wheels primarily in wet weather, I'll wait until the braking surface requires it.

Similar Products Used: Lots of Mavic, Campy, FiR, Ambrosio.
Ian Slack   Road Racer [Jan 15, 2004]
Strength:

Do stay straight and need little to no routine truing (as long as the spokes don't break).

Noisy, break spokes, heavy.

I've been a wheel builder for years and have some major reservations about this rim. Almost right out of the box they began creaking and the only solution is to keep the spoke nipples and eyelets oiled. I built the front wheel with lighter gauge spokes, and now I break one about once a month. I've never had a set of wheels where you broke spokes in the front wheel, especially not when the spokes are still fairly new.

Similar Products Used: mavic GP40's, GEL 280's etc etc. Just about every mavic product made.
DropTheHammer   Road Racer [Nov 29, 2003]
Strength:

Easy build.

Not very stiff. Questionable longevity.

I built these rims around a Campy Chorus group, and the rims took to building nicely. Riding them was a different story. They felt weak and flexy in corners (I used Sapim 14/15 spokes 3X with brass nipples too!). I'm easy on my equipment, and I had to true these rims more often than my MTB wheels, specially the rear one. The rear also developed cracks near the eyelets after a year. I found out the metal matrix they use is brittle. The hard anodized version of this rim is known for eyelet cracks. I'm a wheelbuilder who does lots of stuff for local riders and teams, and these are the last high-end rims I'd ever recommend.

Similar Products Used: Matrix Bontrager FIR Ambrosio Alex Campy
Gary   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2003]
Strength:

Strength, easy building, easy to install and remove tyres

None that i have observed. Rode 2,000 miles on a blue set before using them to up-grade my wife's bike. No problem with them either, except Colorado Cyclist way under-tensioned the original build.

I weigh 215 lbs. I have put around 1,500 miles on this set of Open Pros without incident. Tyres are usually inflated at 110-120psi. I have trued the wheels once since building them myself. Straight, true reliable. 5x5.

Similar Products Used: MA-3, CXP-21
burdiman   Road Racer [Aug 13, 2002]
Strength:

Strength, light weight, reliability

?

What? Weight limitations? I am 230lbs and have over 5k miles on a silver open pro (36 hole).

Similar Products Used: sun venus (rim cracked at the eyelets on two rims)
Barry Gregg   Road Racer [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

Great looking rims with eyelets, Large breaking surface, Machined sidewalls, Good weight.

Weight limitations, PSI limitations, Warranty limitations, Noisy Rims!

These are great rims for riders under 160 lbs or tires inflated to a maximum of 100 psi. If you exceed either of these specs they will creak every time you turn your cranks. Since mfg dont want to loose sales they fail to mention this when you buy them and sound surprised when you call customer service with the same problem they have heard so many times before ( see previous reviews). They suggest you might try one of their heavier rims. Since half of the riders are over 160 lbs and most current tires need over 100 psi there is an obvious problem. You can go on a diet or get used to the creak. Oiling the nipples or gluing the loose pin is not going to solve the problem for long. The mfg needs to state the rims limitations at the time of purchase (decal) not after you have spent your hard earned $$!!