Velocity Escape Rims

Escape

This high performance rim is designed to give you the velocity you need in order to escape from the pack. Our racing tubular offers unparalleled performance and reliability allowing you to accelerate into orbit! Machined sidewalls for superior braking performance upon re-entry.

Colors: Black anodized with machined sidewalls
700C Drillings: 32H, 28H, 24H
650C Drillings: 28H

Bill Silverman   Recreational Rider [Oct 25, 2014]
Strength:

Semi-aero modern tubular rim, lightweight, machined sidewall braking surface, reasonably priced

Nothing yet.

I just finished building up my latest wheelset project: Velocity Escape rims laced to Campy Record 10 hubs with DT Revolution spokes. Best deal on the rims from Niagara Cycles in upstate NY. Laced up 32-spoke, 3x wheelset using Lennard Zinn's book (I must've built up a dozen wheelsets using his book). Got my favorite tubulars glued on the Escapes: Vittoria Corsa CX 21mm sewups.

The set was built for my Tarmac SL3 frame. I've taken the bike out on two rides so-far with the Escapes. As expected, the bike accelerates much faster and feels great cornering at speed. After two hard rides (on lots of choppy roads) I checked the wheels and was pleasantly surprised to find they hadn't gone out of true very much.

Total cost was about $160- not including the hubs & tubulars. The Escapes are super-quiet when I apply the brakes (thanks to the machined brake surface) and look pretty rockin' on the bike. Maybe the Escapes aren't as sexy-looking as deep dish carbon rims, but I doubt that a couple grand for a carbon wheelset would make me any faster.

Similar Products Used: Mavic GP4, Mavic GL 330, Mavic GEL 280
nathbdp   Road Racer [Aug 08, 2010]
Strength:

Beautiful rim. Strong, Light.

Unmachined sidewalls need to be sanded down a bit before riding. The area where the rim is joined together may have a high/low spot causing the brake shoes to skip a tiny bit.

Excellent rim. Used for training and races, built with Sapim CX Ray bladed spokes 32/36 laced to Dura Ace 7800 Hubs.

Run with Veloflex Carbon tires. These fit the rim shape very well.

Philip W. Moore, Jr.   Recreational Rider [Dec 21, 2007]
Strength:

Strength.

Honestly, none to speak of. I would have liked to have machined sidewalls, which are available from Velocity, but I honestly cannot tell you that the wheels don't break as well, even when it's a little wet outside.

I own a 36 hole pair of these rims (silver; not machined), which are laced 3x with Sapim double-butted spokes to 2007 Campagnolo Centaur hubs. These wheels are f'ing BOMBPROOF. And, as built with Tufo Elite tires, they are pretty damn light, too!

Similar Products Used: Mavic GEL 280s, Mavic GEL 330s, Mavic Paris-Roubaix SSCs and Mavic GP4s.