Shimano Dura-Ace Skewers

Shimano Dura-Ace Skewers

Stainless Steel

[Mar 23, 2007]
Notgoodbutslow

Strength:

No bruises on the palms trying to tighten them. Never any issues with the dreaded crank 'knock' that comes from a less-than-tight rear skewer. Modern QR's have taken a step back in my opinion.

None, except for bling-bling and that the skewers are expensive if not purchased with the hubs. Probably a little heavier than some, but I choose ergonomics and durability over weight and style.

I've had these skewers for 19 years. I bought them from PBS with a set of DA hubs when they were a closet shop in Carrboro, NC.
When I swap my wheels, I always use these skewers. They were made for 126mm dropouts, but they will adjust for 130mm. I wish the 7800 skewers were more available/affordable. I would buy a couple of sets.

Velomax and others (common external cam skewers used on many wheels), Campagnolo Victory, Super Record (also excellent) Internal cams are the way to go.

[Nov 06, 2003]
sherpa_boy

Strength:

Light, smooth and beautiful

None!

I believe it is one of the best skewers on the market. It has a beautiful finish and it's light. The lever action is smooth and easy to use. I wish Mavic could make skewers as good as these.

Mavic Composite - Road

[Sep 01, 2000]
Shaun Au

Strength:

So easy to open and close. Beautiful finish. Lightweight.

Haven't notice any.

I got them with the hubs for a total of $80(hubs and skewers were all brand new in box) at a bike swap meet. Definitely a killer deal. I build them up with a pair of Sun rims and DT 14/15 spokes as training wheels. The skewer levers and mechanism are so well designed. The cams in the lever are so smooth. It'effortless to open and close. The levers are ergonomically designed. They don't hurt your fingers like other after market CNC machined skewers with sharp corners.

I would not buy them seperately from Colorado Cyclist or Excel because they are expensive. However, if you can buy them with your hub purchase at a good price, then these are the best bang for the buck skewers out there.

Specialized. Ultegra, 105, etc.