Alex 440 SL Tires - Clincher

Alex 440 SL Tires - Clincher

[Jul 17, 2010]
alba831

Strength:

light weight, inexpensive.

As the old saying goes, light, cheap, durable. Pick two. I'm worried about that third one, especially given my past experiences with Alex wheels. I give the overall a 4, but it may drop if this is an issue.

First off, let me just say I haven't been impressed with Alex wheels in the past. I've had several different commuter-ish versions that were weak and heavy. When I saw that a pair of Alex wheels came on my Redline Conquest Pro, I wasn't super thrilled.

When I left the shop, I took off the front wheel and leaned it up against the vehicle. I put the bike in and then picked up the wheel and thought, "Whoa!" I was expecting my new cyclocross wheelset to weight a ton, especially with the knobby 34mm tires on it, but no. The wheel with burly tires was less heavy than my normal racing/training road front wheel. That was my first surprise.

After a few brutal climbing races on my road bike I was thinking about a new wheelset and remembered how light these were. I checked out the Alex website and found they were ~1500g, which is pretty dang good. I swapped them over to my road bike and have been really happy with the change. They're light, so they spin up quickly. They feel pretty stable on the descents, but aren't as stiff as they could be due to lower spoke count. When I get out of the saddle to climb I also notice flex, but am not sure if it's the fork or wheelset. (note: I'm a svelte 145 so it's not due to massive weight or, unfortunately, power output).

My main concern at this point is durability as I've only been using these for ~3 months. We'll see how they hold up.