Avocet Cross K 32 Tires - Clincher

Cross K 32

Cross tire with inverted tread lets you ride on pavement or dirt roads. Inverted tread creates up to 30% less rolling resistance than knobbys on pavement, yet provides enough traction for trail rides. Kevlar shield interwoven into the tire makes it puncture-resistant. Great for city streets or packed trails.

smokey422   Recreational Rider [Aug 14, 2011]
Strength:

Wear characteristics, rolling resistance, performance on paved and unpaved roads, resistance to flats, pretty easy to mount.

They are no longer available as Avocet is out of the tire market.

I lost track of the mileage I have on these tires because my computer died but rest assured it's quite a lot. They still have quite a bit of tread left and I've never had a flat (hope I don't jinx myself with that last statement). They roll reasonably fast on pavement and are also good on gravel roads and light dry trails. They mount fairly easily and are available in several sizes. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, which I don't understand at all because they were a great tire.

Similar Products Used: Michelins (forgot model), Continental Town and Country, stock Bontrager knobbies.
Josh Sherman   Commuter [Jun 08, 2009]
Strength:

This has been my first mountain bike and I had these Cross II Ks put on the bike day one - what i can say is that i had not had a single flat in three years and the tread after 700 miles looks good - at this point there are some small cracks on the side walls out nothing major.

My Specialized Pro Mondo road bike tires had not held up (on my road bike) anywhere near as well as the Avocets (on my mountian bike) where the Avocets are an extra year older and have at least an extra 30% more milage.

Not much to complain about - would not mind seeing a reflective ring/marking around the sidewalls of the tires for those of us that use this inverted tread product to navigate city streets.

Have had the Avocet Cross II 26 x 1.9 K's on my Stumpjumper for about 3 years and about 700 miles. These tires have held up well.

I have ridden extensively in NYC and have gone without a flat for 3 years (once i removed no-flat liners that were given to me - they created some internal friction on the innertube).

The tread works well for the street and dirt path trails that i ride.

Next go round i think i would go down a width to the 1.5s.

RoadLoad   Commuter [Jun 10, 2007]
Strength:

The tread pattern is inverted (I think that's the right term?) so what is touching the road is really very smooth without the drag that occurs with more aggressive tread patterns.

None to speak of. The grey sidewall has grown on me.

I have used these tires for 5 weeks or about 600 miles worth of commuting and these tires are great! I have 700X32s on an all steel frame at about 100 lbs psi and they just swallow up the road noise. My ride is very smooth.

I plan to try these tires on dry cyclocross courses this fall. I think they'll work just fine.

Similar Products Used: Can't think of all the various brands and models - usually what ever is on sale. These are the first tires I researched and spent more than $20 per tire for.
remy123   Recreational Rider [Jul 23, 2006]
Strength:

Good grip, good roll, durable, cheap

Always want things lighter, not as much climbing grip as a full knobby on steep loose climbs(but more than you'd expect).

These things are great! I put them on my MTB so I could try out some mixed street and trail rides and what a blast!
I ride sidewalks, roads, grass, dirt, fire roads and singletrack. I could probably go faster on a road bike w/ slicks--but I can't tell the diff without a computer; I can't climb super steep walls or muddy steeps, but I can go up stuff you wouldn't expect and descending is pretty good once you get used to paying attention, rather than relying on knobbies to stick. 95% of off road is faster because you spin so well.
The best thing is you can go anywhere at any time and not even think about it. Change your mind in the middle of a ride? No problem.
These have led me to set up a new kind of bike--I don't know what you call it, maybe a hybred on steroids. Long travel(5") Giant NRS with drop bars and higher stem position, crosstop brakes, travel agents, vbrakes, road levers. Super adjustable and LOTS of fun. Reenergized my riding after lots of years and it started with these tires.

Similar Products Used: None
Jose Tablante   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent on pavement and cornering. Quite respectable in light gravel road. Very good in wet weather. Rolling resistance is almost negligible and handles like a road bike. Ideal for cross country and recreational bikers.

No longer available in the Philippines. No suitable for muddy or sandy surface. Those who are more offroad purists should not use this as they will be disappointed.

I was one of the first cross country bikers in my country more than 10 years ago to switch from knobbies to Avocet Cross almost a year after I purchased my Diamond Back Apex LE in 1991. I don't bike hard but I bike in pavement almost 3 times a week and ever since the tires are still in excellent running condition and have suffered a flat only once. The flat was due to the tube's defective valve but not from any puncture. I haven't changed tires since then.

Similar Products Used: None
Terc   Commuter [Jul 16, 2004]
Strength:

No flats. Well, almost none—they're very rare. Comfortable ride. Great in rain. Handles lots of different road conditions well.

It's true that they're not very good on loose gravel, but I ride through a gravelly section every day under Riverbank State Park and the bike slid out from under me only once in the last four years.

Hello and welcome to New York City. Your ride today will cover many different types of terain: potholes, sewer grates, trash and broken glass... lots of broken glass. In fact, you will begin to feel as though you are riding over a sea of beautiful, glittery glass shards. Good thing you've got a nice pair of Avocet Cross II kevlars on your bike. They're lighter weight than Specialized Armadillos, but are getting harder to find. I don't know why. I switched to this tire back during my messenger days and have stuck with them ever since. All the superlatives in the reviews below mine are true and I don't want to be redundant. Stop reading this and buy a pair. In fact, buy two pair. PS. I ride the 27X38 at 85 psi.

Similar Products Used: On my messenger bike and commuter: Tioga City Slickers, Inverts, Contis and Nokians. (Nokians good!)
Strong-G   Recreational Rider [Jun 30, 2004]
Strength:

Great traction SL version is fairly light, very versital tire. Smooth...

none yet

Second set of these Put these on my new cyclocross bike for commuting. Great traction fairly light, very versital tire. Hard to find at local bike shops...

Similar Products Used: Michelin CX tires, Hutchensen CX, Ritchey CX.
chilantro   Commuter [May 26, 2004]
Strength:

Inverted tread

This is a fantastic tire at a great price (about $20 or so). It lives up to its billing as it offers low rolling resistance on dry pavement yet a "punch" of traction on wet and light dirt surfaces. I have Mr. Tuffy's underneath; hence I never get a flat. The sidewalls are also very durable. It'll be many, many miles before I wear them out. Excellent for commuting; not suitable for offroading. Definitely keep it inflated to 95 psi to get optimal performance.

Similar Products Used: treadless tires
fredji7   Commuter [Nov 04, 2003]
Strength:

No flats, good rolling on paved and unpaved trail.

None that I can see yet.

I have been using the Cross Ks for about six months and racked up about 3000 commuting miles, about 1/4 on unpaved trail. I was tired of getting flats and thought I'd give these tires a try. I am getting excellent performance from them: no flats, good ride on unpaved train and smooth ride on paved trail. I keep them inlfated to the recommended 95 psi pressure.

Similar Products Used: Vottorio Courrier road tires.
greg forrester   Commuter [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

smooth rolling and the 700 x 38 are large enough to use an air hose without blowing it out in 2 seconds. The tire are really good at absorbing bumps. the tires allow riders to use a mixed of paved and hard packed dirt and gravel roads. The tires hold well using fully packed panniers. The tires are best for long distance touring and also work well in urban jungles.

not made to ride on loose gravel. The tires hate freshly graded roads. The non kevlar kind gets punctured easily by thorns. The tires have become harder to find as my favorite mail order place bikenashbar quit carrying the tires.

The best tire I have ever used. I have been using these tires since 1995 or for 34,000 miles. My first front tire lasted 18,000 miles and the second lasted 12,000 miles. My rear tires average 6,000 miles. I recommend the kevlar lined tires as I have avoided flat tires using them until they get near the end of their life and are resistant to most things that puncture tires.