Bontrager R1 Road Tires - Clincher

Bontrager R1 Road Tires - Clincher

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Tread profile helps give low rolling resistance
  • Lightly textured tread design
  • Wire bead affordability

[Jul 07, 2018]
archer61

Strength:

Owning new bike for one yr and these tr1 tires that came with it nothing good to say.

Had new trek bike just one yr. that came with these r1 tire. Maybe a few hundred miles. I always check tire pressure before riding out. Tire gave out going completely flat just before curve causing me to wipe out pretty hard into the curve. Glad I was wearing helmet. Wish I had one for shoulder. Not happy at all. Also noticed as others state not good unless road is dry. Looking fir another brand.

Purchased:
New
[Jul 26, 2015]
a parseeker

Strength:

Quiet, fast rolling.

Flats

These came with a rental bike (Madone 2.1) from Richardson Bike Mart in Frisco, TX (suburb of Dallas) that I rented to do a metric century ride. At km 20, the rear tire exploded creating a gash about 1.5" long at the crown of the tire. The tire had disintegrated from inside out. Fortunately a very kind gentleman gave me a ride in his pickup to RBM's store in Richardon where they promptly replaced the tire. I completed the 97km ride without further incident.

I have ridden 1000's of kms on various tires such as Hutchinson Secteur 28, Vittoria Open Corsa and Open Pave's, Conti GP's and can say I was surprised at how quiet and fast rollling it was given its price point. The blowout appeared to be due to a manufacturing defect and not from wear-and-tear as the tire was in good condition.

Given the low cost of the tire, it may not be the most durable or the fastest, but I don't think I would argue with the price/performance. If, however, you value ride time vs downtime, consider spending a few bucks more. Otherwise this would be a good tire on a second bike or second wheelset.

[Sep 13, 2014]
Ozzie

Strength:

Firm , responsive , excellent puncture resistance high wear resistance .

None I can think of.

These came on My 2014 Madone 3.1 I run them at 125 PSIG in Portland Oregon on the road as well as around town My greatest fear was flats from all the rock and glass We have here , I have logged several hundred miles on these without a cut of any kind hill climbs , fast descents , hard braking (without locking up My wheels.) I am impressed and will certainly look at these when it comes time for new tires.

[Aug 26, 2014]
Bruce

Strength:

Quite smooth.

Recommended inflation by factory store was 100psi. Very soft. Min.110psi

I agree with another reviewer. These tires are very poor for a $1900(CDN) bicycle. I've put about 1500km (930 miles) on them. Front tire has a bulge which has burst and back tire has worn through. I hear other guys saying they get up to 5000+ km and sometimes miles out of their tires. Not impressed with brand.

[Aug 19, 2013]
Scott

Strength:

Good, inexpensive starter tire.

None yet.

I have 700 miles on the R1's that came with me 2.0 Domane and the only flat I've had so far was from breaking a valve stem trying to inflate the front tire. We have some pretty rough chip seal here in North Texas.

[Jul 20, 2013]
Michael Skaggs

Strength:

Cheap tires I would not recommend you buy.

These tires came on my 2013 3 Series Madone. The front tire punctured with less than 150 miles on the bike. The rear blew today while doing a metric century. Not sure why Trek would use a cheap tire on an $1,800 bike.

[Mar 05, 2013]
Paul

Strength:

Went for 3000 km without a puncture whilst many of my riding groups were having flats. Ok, I'm only 65 kg but still not one puncture in that time was great. Handled really well, felt safe when cornering at speed. Easy to take off and on- one of my tubes split at the valve.

None that I could see

Great all round (excuse the pun) tyre. Came on my Trek 4.7

[Jan 04, 2013]
Dave

Strength:

They're okay for a few rides....

Don't last very long... low quality.

Came on my Speed Concept, worst tires I've ever ridden on. Ride got bad and tread separated on the side of both tires in several spots. Rubber pulling away from the casing, major blow out with both tires. Very disappointing, almost 2 months and less than 500 miles of riding.

IMO, these things are a safety concern.

[Jun 17, 2012]
Nick Harris

Strength:

Bontrager name. Adequate traction ?

Casing failed in < 500 miles.

Like the other reviewer, these tyres came on my Trek 2.1 roadbike. The LBS I bought it from told me to pump them up to 120psi. I fill them to that before every ride. Today i glanced down at the tyre to see the casing has split on the side and now the cord is showing. I am a larger rider, about 250lbs but I don't think the tyre should have failed in about 500 miles. This is a junk tyre and a disgrace to the Bontrager brand which I learned was quality as a kid... perhaps that isn't the case anymore.

[Aug 06, 2011]
Ken

Poor wear quality

A cheap low quality entry level tire. This tire came on a Trek 2.1 road bike that I bought this spring. With 1300 miles I had cord showing in 2 places. They looked like they had 5000 miles on them.