Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase Tires - Clincher

Race X Lite Hardcase

Protect yourself from flats without sacrificing performance using the trusted training tire of the Astana Pro Cycling Team. Featuring the triple flat protection of Bontrager's Hardcase technology, Race X Lite Hardcase tires use a lightweight 120 tpi casing and dual-compound tread to keep rolling resistance low and performance high.

Jason Morgan   Triathlete [Mar 22, 2012]
Strength:

Lighter than most flat protection tires
Lower rolling resistance

Difficult to install on Mavic Aksium Race wheels

Replaced a set of Continental GatorSkins with these tires purchased at a LBS. The RXL HC's felt lighter and a little faster, were actually 1 mph faster, than the GatorSkins. I did have a puncture flat in the Gatorskins and after 6 months of riding on city/urban roads, I have not had any pinch/puncture flats with the RXL HC's; only flat was due to a torn stem on the tube.

My only con is that I had to stretch the tires some in order to install them on my wheels and then still had to fight to get the tire on the rim.

Similar Products Used: Conti Gatorskins
Shaun_P   Recreational Rider [Apr 08, 2010]
Strength:

Good grip, Smooth rolling

None yet but time will tell

Just put them on my bike a few weeks ago. So far they seem like great tires. They have a much better road feel than the Specialized Mondos they replaced and they roll better too.

gompie   Recreational Rider [Feb 13, 2010]
Strength:

*Excellent flat protection (no flats or any cuts after 1000km)
*Excellent grip, both dry and wet. Feels very secure, even in the snow (I actually did a 60k tour in fresh snow)
*Got them at a reasonable price on the internet (25£ (28€ at the time) is what I would pay in the shops here for a rubbish tyre)

*They feel quite a bit slower (I would say around 2km/h) than my normal Race X Lite 23mm tyres, so I wouldn't ride them if I want to go fast. (although the additional aerodynamic drag from my winter clothes could have an effect too)
*Only available in black (not that I really mind)

I bought this tyre in 25mm (both front and rear) in november, as a training tyre for the winter. My main priorities were flat resistance (I don't like getting my gloves off to change tyres when it freezes) and grip in winter conditions (I live in Belgium, where it has snowed almost all of january, hence the choice of 25mm).

I've done over 1000km with them now, and they're quite simply the best tyres I've ever ridden. I've done some quite harsh roads (snow, gravel, mud, even through the woods,...), and the tyres felt excellent, without any flats so far. I put around 7 bar on them, which makes them a bit more soft and comfortable on bad roads (which Belgium specializes in).

Similar Products Used: Last winter, I tried:

*Michelin Krylions (terrible in the wet, and had 2 of them pierced by pebbles)*Vittoria Rubinio Pro 25mm (rode well, but got completely ripped after 500km, no idea what caused it).

In the summer, I ride Michelin Pro Race or normal Bontrager Race X Lite 23mm's.
t_togh   Triathlete [Aug 30, 2009]
Strength:

Fast tire
Very smooth and comfortable
very durable

slightly pricey; try to bargain it down a bit

Excellent all around product; good traction, smooth, fast, and durable. People rag on Bontrager but their tires are very good.