Bontrager Select Kevlar Tires - Clincher

Select Kevlar

• High quality training tire
  • Slick tread for minimum rolling resistance
  • Kevlar belt for extreme puncture prevention
  • 60 tpi casing
  • Weight: 260-350 grams

• User Reviews (12)

Milmo   Road Racer [Jun 12, 2011]
    Strength:

Comfortable, fast, inexpensive, good road adhesion.

Maybe less robust than more expensive tires.

Seemingly great tire value. Rolls as fast as Bontarger's more expensive and higher TPI tires like the RXL and RXL AC. Actually seems faster than GP4000s. But in fairness to the all those it's apples and oranges as the Select Ks are on an old 12 speed with 27" wheels and the others are on modern bikes.

But I haven't found anything to fault if properly cared for and they seem like a good to very good tire.

Similar Products Used: Various Japanese 27" tires.
    Antaeus   Recreational Rider [Jan 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Durable. wear-resistant. flat resistant. takes rocks and bumps and twigs well.

looses traction on wet surfaces.

Have had these tires for about 6 mo. Good tires, they last and they don't wear too bad. Have them on a 1970 Peugeot PX-10. Would buy again.

Vociferous   Recreational Rider [Nov 18, 2009]
    Strength:

No flats in 2,000 miles. Outstanding.

I have blackwalls, which are not the best looking tires. The ride is not as responsive as some high-end Hutchinsons and IRC's I've had. I even favor the Avenir Kevlar as far as ride goes.

I have not gotten a single flat in two years of riding on these. I had a Select K on my rear, and when I needed a replacement for my front, I got another Select K! I ride on some bad Boston roads with lots of debris. These tires just fly right through it.

Similar Products Used: Avenir Kevlar, Hutchinson Fusion Comp, IRC Paperlite Aqua
    Andy   Recreational Rider [Apr 04, 2009]
    Strength:

seem puncture resistant. great value. no flats in delaware/philadelphia strets. High PSI

None that I can tell. I inflate past the recommended PSI rating

Pretty good tire, excellent value. Havent popped a flat yet, debating getting a replacement for my rear wheel because of skids

Similar Products Used: Michelin Orium, Conti Ultra Sport, Bontrager Racelite Hardcase
    John   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2008]
    Strength:

Excellent value for the price. Ride quality.

Excellent ride quality. After finally getting my first flat with my rear tire at 4000 miles (piece of wire in worn center line of tire), replaced tire. Front tire looks like it can go another 4000.

Similar Products Used: Continental GP 3000
    Paul   Commuter [Apr 03, 2008]
    Strength:

Never get punctures. My other tires were getting torn up by the commute and these will get big gashes but never go flat. And I can keep on riding. I also like the 100psi- should I get a flat, my frame pump can handle that easier than 120 psi.

None that I've noticed...

I bought these tires a while ago because I had started riding fixed gear and I burned through the stock tires on skip stops (retarded, I know). I bought these because they were a decent price. I love them- I don't skid often and I never get flats. I do about 100 miles a week through some crappy Eugene streets, so....

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson, Schwalbe, some generic ones? Do people keep track of the tires they go through?
    B Gross   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2007]
    Strength:

Good wear, so far. NO FLATS, so far.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bought a used bike and had to replace the rear tire. Put 750+ miles on it so far and not one flat. Replaced the front on last week and have 150+ with no problems.
    Will probably have to replace the rear again before the century next month (1200-1400 miles) and will choose the same tire. I weigh 200 pounds and don't expect a tire to last forever.

Satman   Recreational Rider [May 16, 2004]
    Strength:

None that I noticed.

Anything sharper than a pebble will apparently cut these tires.

I got a new road bike...a Marinoni Delta...this spring, and the LBS put on Select Kevlar 700x25 tires. On my ride today, I left a paved parking lot on to a paved parkway (smooth as glass. BTW)...and flatted the rear tire a mile up the road. That was annoying enough, but what really stunned me was when I discovered the source of the flat: a 3/16" cut right through the tread into the tube. I patched the tube and got riding again, but the cut is just big enough for me not to trust the tire. I've used Panaracers and Michelins before, and never had this type of flat. Sure, I got cuts in the tread, but the tire carcass wasn't punctured. (And I rode these tires a lot.) But a four-week-old Bontrager cut right through on a smooth parkway. Not too impressive.

Similar Products Used: Various Panaracer and Michelin road tires.
    Pond Scum   Road Racer [Aug 20, 2003]
    Strength:

Wear great, roll smooth and fast, great cut and puncture resistance, price. I get 2500 to 3000 miles out of a back tire and 5000 on a front. Puts up with 130psi

Have not found any

Been using the 700x25's as long as Bontrager has been making these and will till they quit making them. Awesome tire,, don't know why these other guys have so many flats,, I have over 15,000 miles using these tires and have had 2 flats, I tip the scales at 240 and run these at 130psi and they corner great, I ride them as hard as I can, I beat them into the ground anthey ask for more,,, cannot find anything bad about them, I ride thru fresh tar and chip roads out in the country and they put up with all I can dish out to them. On smooth roads they sing sweet.

Similar Products Used: Trek ISO 2K which is now the Bontrager Select Kevlar,, Conti Grand Prix,, BS tires, got 500 miles out of the rear tire and the casing was showing, never use Conti's again unless somebody gives me some
    Brian Peltzer   Recreational Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Danmed if I could find any...

Hold onto every piece of glass you run over, cut easily, handle poorly.

After about 600 miles, I had 7 flats. I have been constantly picking glass and tiny stones out of the rubber, and there are a lot of chunks ripped out. When you get a flat, and you WILL get a flat, the tire will be badly cut. I think they only put a little strand of kevlar somewhere in the tire, just to give it the name. These things aren't flat resistant, they are flat prone. I still have a lot of tread left, but I just replaced them with a set of Avenir (cyclepro) kevlars. They are cheap, but have a nice, thick kevlar belt that puts up with abuse.

Similar Products Used: Avenir (was cyclepro) kevlar, Michelin cyclocross.