Continental Grand Prix 4000s Tires - Clincher

Grand Prix 4000s

The Continental Grand Prix 4000S Folding Tire boasts global appeal as the best all round race bike tyre on the market. Not only is it fast and super grippy, thanks to its state of the art Black Chili rubber compound, but it is also tough with a healthy tr

mike   [Aug 21, 2015]
Strength:

None detected. Too short in use...

Riding about 500km .punctured in the side wall.

It was an emergency replacement on a holiday trip.i will buy it never again...

Jimmer   [Jul 21, 2015]
Strength:

Great ride and puncture resistance.

Weak side-walls. Very prone to tears.

I've been riding on Conti's for years. They provide a great ride and are fairly puncture resistant, so I don't get many flats, but the durability is very poor. I have never been able to get full wear out of a set of these tires. They are very prone to tears of the side-wall. I've ridden on my last pair of Continental 4000's. Time to switch to another brand.

Jimmy   [May 20, 2015]
Strength:

Fast tires

Wayyy too many flats.

Can't believe I let myself get talked into buying these. But the LBS was out of the Gatorskins, so...
I've now tossed them in the rubbish bin after using just half the tread life (if that) and going back to Gatorskins. I have had sooo many flats on the 4000s. A dozen this year alone. Half the time it was tiny shards of glass that should not have gone through to puncture the tube. I like the speed, they're light and easy to take on and off, but I am never buying these again.

Tobbe   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2015]
Strength:

Can hold very high pressure. Rolls light. Excellent grip and overall handling. Good comfort. Lasts long.

None.

My favourite road tyre. From time to time I try something else, but I always quickly switch back to these.

Similar Products Used: Other contis, Michelin, Vittoria etc, etc.
Marco   [Mar 09, 2015]
Strength:

Every informed cyclist I know rides these tires because they're just so good. Durable, high quality, great handling.

Fabulous, reliable tires.

Gary   [Oct 29, 2014]
Strength:

Good Grip

Missing Logo on Reflex Version

Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Road Tyre Reflex without the logo. I purchased these because of the reviews and the kudos of the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II brand as pictured in the clever advertising. However the reflex version is not branded and is just a plain tyre and could be any cheaper branded tyre. In fact I think it is just the plain 4000 version.

Mackenzie   [Sep 24, 2014]
Strength:

The Continental Grand Prix 4000s stick reasonably well when turning and ride well when racing - but that's all

Poor rubber build that sustains cuts and punctures even on main roads and cycle paths - dont waste your time

The Continental Grand Prix 4000s needs to improve on handling as cheaper tyres provide better 'feel' for different road conditions. The big problem is durability. The tyres sustain many cuts even though the tyre travel only 100 KMS. These tyres simply cannot be trusted as they puncture easily due to high degradation of the rubber - eg sustain many and deep cuts. The result (at speed) is flat tyres that can cause an injury and plenty of frustration

ron   [Aug 31, 2014]
Strength:

They're a tough, good handling, high quality tire. I've used them all, trust me.

They should only cost $5.00

I love all these reviews where folks can feel the difference in rolling resistance--or, these tires make me climb better than Vittorias---or, my threads wrap around my axle....
Well, I'm here to tell you that after I started riding these tires, my dog got a terrible cough. And there are plenty of internet stories to verify this. A coincidence? I don't think so. It must be the Black Chili getting all over my carpet!

ziconater   Road Racer [Aug 14, 2014]
Strength:

Durable, grippy, confidence inspiring .

Dead feeling, sluggish and heavy for climbing.

I'm not sure why everyone raves so much about these tires. They do wear well, but at the same time, they have kind of a dead feel them. A wooden feel is the best way to describe it. The best trait I've found of these tires is that they're confidence inspiring on steep descents. On the flip-side, I find them to be slow on steeper hill climbs. Maybe it was because I was running the larger 25mm version. In contrast, Vittoria Rubino Pro's (25mm) feel better and are faster on the hills, and are less expensive.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Rubino Pro, Vredestien TriComp, Kenda Kaliente, Michelin Pro Race 3
Geoff Thomas   [May 22, 2014]
Strength:

Highest mileage tire I have used in a long time- good traction and suppleness. I have not seen any of the sidewall issues that others are talking about.

Conti just quit making them- I'll bet the new GP 4000S 2 tires are not as durable...

On the balance the best high mileage tire I have ridden- better than Vredistein TriComps, better than Vittoria Rubino Pro's.
If someone ran a deal on these I'd scoop up a couple of pairs.
BTW high mileage is over 4000 miles on the rear one. I weigh 162 lbs and run 25's at around 100-110 psi. No issues whatsoever.