Continental SuperSport Ultra Wire Bead Tires - Clincher

SuperSport Ultra Wire Bead

Train like the professionals. An ideal long lasting low rolling resistance training tire at an economical price. All Black with a wire bead. 27 x 1 18 Inch 28-630 ISO 370 grams 27 x 1 14 Inch 32-630 ISO 380 grams

jimbagg   [Jul 04, 2013]
Strength:

Smooth ride

Great smooth riding tire, low rolling resistance. Use for commuting, no flats.

rustyrob   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2002]
Strength:

Cut resistant tread. Because of the smooth latex surface cuts can be filled with super glue, unlike butyl tyres. They are easy to take on and off. Easy to spot tread damage and remedy.

Walls are susceptible to cuts.

I do randonees on a variety of bikes, including a George Longstaff trike. With low rolling resistance allied to high mileage, these tyres roll even better with latex innertubes, which renders the tyres even more puncture resistant. Excellent traction in wet and dry conditions. They also become more puncture resistant with a dusting of talcum powder between tyre and tube.

Similar Products Used: Michelin 25's in the 1950's.
theycallmetiger   Road Racer [Oct 07, 2001]
Strength:

cheap, durable, Continentals!

they don''t make me go faster. oh sorry that is me not doing enough training!

I have done nearly 5000km on one pair and have no complaints. I train on them, I race on them, but I don''t go out in the rain! Call me soft, but maybe that is the difference. I love Conti''s and would only upgrade to maybe a lighter tyre if I thought they would be as good as these.

Similar Products Used: Conti Top Touring (best touring tyre in the world!)
Futahaguro   Recreational Rider [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

Great ride
Durable
Seemingly excellent puncture resistance

Heavy but I don't care

Well, I have been using these tires for 6 years and they are finally beginning to crack. I know that on my computer before the batteries died I had at least 800 miles. Sure that's not much for 6 years but I only had two flats that whole time. I plan on buying some more Conti's soon.

Similar Products Used: Haven't needed to try anything else!
Alex Abbas   Road Racer [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

Good value, long lasting.

Heavy.

Continental has made a great name for themselves in tires, and this one is no exception. It's not that light, but it's not bad for a wire bead training/recreational tire.

And there's plenty of tread there, which gives a comfortable ride and a long life. I bet that even among the SuperSports that get ridden a lot, most of them crack and dry out before they wear thin, not that they crack easily.

Basically a great all-purpose tire for just ridin' around.

Similar Products Used: Vredestein Fortezza
jer   Recreational Rider [Apr 25, 2000]
Strength:

Probably cheap; I don't know, they came stock on my Cannondale
nice, fast ride

Weak sidewalls. Failed within the first 200 miles.
Threads also unravel from the casing.

I rode this bike on weekends only, for short rides of around 20 miles.
Good thing I was only 1 mile away from my house when the tire got a nice gash in the sidewall. I'd guess they're pretty cheap, being on the bottom of Continental's line. I'm going to try out Michelin Axial's now, with Kevlar; hopefully they'll be more reliable.

Similar Products Used: None
Jeff   Triathlete [Jul 11, 2000]
Strength:

Durability, versatility

Not the lightest

I've had these on my bike since I bought it. 3,000 miles later they are still going strong. I don't ride in the rain, which may help durability. They are solid, good contact, high speed tires and worth the price. No real problems with the sidewalls yet, but they are getting a bit worn. Well, it has been a while. Time for a new pair.

Similar Products Used: none
ERic   Recreational Rider [Jul 06, 2000]
Strength:

Cost . Puncture resistance . excellent tread life

side wall unravels .

a good tyre for the money . they are not the lightest but they do wear well . however the sidewall is weak and unravels

Similar Products Used: conti super sport 100
roy cameron   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2000]
Strength:

rolling resistence, fast, light

nono

i have even taken these tires on a short tour with the bike loaded with about 35 pounds of stuff for six days, and they did not give me ant trouble, talk about durability for a pair of slicks.

Similar Products Used: lots of stuff
Bob VonMoss   Commuter [Sep 02, 2000]
Strength:

fast slick, relatively lightweight. The sidewall did not deteriorate as quickly like the Conti Top Touring 2000 model. it was on sale.

I stopped using it, because I commute on a road bike in Chicago and the flat protection as is was inadequte. Lots of glass got ground into the rubber tread causing frequent punctures. I did a 140 mile century flawless with these tires. On the other hand at least 2-3 times I did a simple 10-15 commute with 2 flats on the same tire. Better for a more controlled situation with no glass, than a debris-ridden city street.

I stopped using them, because I got too many flats in an urban setting. Perhaps this was because I weighed over 200 pounds. I would think these would be good for a sport rider who wants fairly fast and relatively light for an occasional sport ride, not in the city with glass all over the place. If you like these, you might as well just splurge and get similar kevlar bead or even kevlar belted if they have it. The sidewall looks the same as the Conti TT2000, which always wore out prematurely for me. I think I put about 800 miles on these tires at various times and just gave up on them. I doubt I'll go back to them unless I weigh under 160.

Similar Products Used: Conti Top Touring 2000, Avocet Cross, Michelin Tracer, Specialized Turbo Sport Armadillo, Specialized Turbo Sport, Avocet FasGrip 20K.