Continental Top CONTACT II Tires - Clincher

• Durable 3ply / 180 threads per inch polyamide casing
  • high puncture resistance thanks to the cut resistant Vectran Breaker
  • excellent performance on all kinds of surfaces due to the smooth center and siped shoulder blocks
  • optimized tread compound for fast rolling, improved grip and high mileage
  • Reflective sidewalls for added road safety

Mike   [Sep 18, 2016]

Compliant ride.

Tread design.
High rolling resistance.

I hate to slam a tire based on a single review (mine) but this was my experience.

I put a set of these tires in 700x32 on my touring bike prior to a 1,500 mile circuit of the UK, Ireland and France. Prior to that I had been using 7x32 Gatorskins.

An increase in rolling resistance was immediately apparent with these somewhat wider tires.Plus the edge of the center tread would actually catch the edge of painted stripes on the road and perceptibly tug on the handlebars, a distracting if not consequential occurrence. The ride was better with these somewhat larger tires, as was the traction on roadside dirt of these treaded tires over the slick Gatorskins.

400 miles into the tour in Scotland the front Top Contact II developed a sideways kink for no apparent reason, This was irritating because it dinged on the fender every rotation as well was causing a perceptible flat spot.

700 miles into the tour I got an ordinary flat (piece of retread wire) center tread on the back tire. 100 miles later the same flat occurred again, turns out the inside tire body was disintegrating around the original puncture site. A five Euro note patch between the tube and the disintegrating area got me another 70 miles to a bike shop where I replaced both tires with Gatorskins.

Top Contact II's are probably good if high rolling-resistance tires. I think I just got two from a bad product run.