Continental Touring Plus Tires - Clincher

Touring Plus

When conditions are at their worst and only maximum puncture protection will do Continental PLUS breaker is the reliable answer. The PLUS breaker utilizes an extra-duty highly elastic casing belt that is virtually impervious to road hazards. What this means is you get a lively feeling tire with out all the extra weight of a tire liner but the added protection to get you where you want to be. Smooth center for low rolling resistance and a more pronounced side tread for water dispersion and ex...

Robert Neff   Commuter [May 01, 2016]
Strength:

Heavy duty - puncture resistant, reflective strip. No flats this winter.

Squirrelly if underinflated (like 50 psi vs 80. Are my rims too narrow?)

I got these for winter riding on wet streets, with the thickness for puncture resistance mostly against glass. I did not get a flat this past winter on the days it rained. I have the 700x28.

I have this tire on the rear, and, if under-inflated (like ~ 60 psi, the way it gets when you don't pump up the tires weekly), the tires track poorly in the back, so steering around a curve leads to unexpected oversteer (or whatever you want to call it.) I don't experience on the other 28mm tires I've used, so this is something about the tread pattern, or the height of the tires. I don't experience this with my usual 28 mm tires, like Panaracer Paselas. If I keep them pumped up to 80-90 psi or more, this problem goes away.

alexrising   Commuter [Mar 12, 2011]
Strength:

Puncture resistance, mileage

sidewall

Road these tires on my commute/ tour bike for 3200 miles before they developed a sidewall bulge. I was very happy with their puncture resistance, had only two flats. I think that if the bulge had not developed I would have gotten another 1000 miles out of them.

Kyle Brofloskie   Commuter [Jul 20, 2010]
Strength:

Puncture Proof
Snow and Rain manners were amazing, Way better then cycle cross tires on my fixie were

Reflective strip got nasty at around 9 month in

I bought these tires in a 700x32 for my touring bicycle that mainly carries me to and from class. These lasted me 12 months, and 3000+ miles without a single flat until today it seems the sidewall broke through. I live in Carbondale, IL and anyone familiar with the town will tell you how these streets are covered each morning with the broken glass from the night before and I NEVER had a flat tire.

I was very pleased with these except I found that the reflective stripe on the sidewall seemed to get rather nasty near the end of their life but I would defiantly recommend them. I ended up going with their City version of the same tire and I hope they hold up as well.

Josh   Commuter [Dec 01, 2009]
Strength:

you can't get a flat.

awesome grip o wet road.

big and heavy.

i got theses tires with i bike i got on craigslist. the bike was $100 and for me, the tires were a selling point. After i had se the bike up how i liked, i kept the tires one it. At first they seemed to big and heavy for a maily road use bike, however, the more i ride them, the better they are. yesterday, a friend and i road down a "bike path" at the end where it meets a road we looked at our tires and each of us had 5 thorns per tire. My Friend, on forte ties had 2 flats within 3 minutes. at the same timei had pulled all of them out and there was no leaking, not one of them got in. i am sold on these tires, and i will get them again as the ones i have whare.

Similar Products Used: forte "city slicks"
Greg   Commuter [Jul 27, 2009]
Strength:

Highly flat resistant.
Good tread for any unimproved roads.

Extremely fast wear for a touring tire.
Heavy for no real benefit.

First, my background. I'm a big guy (260 ish, called a clydsedale on the mountain side of things). I mostly ride my road bike for my commute with occasional longer rides for fun and fitness.

I bought these tires since they're advertised as touring tires. I figured that meant heavy weights for long distances. Boy was I disapponted. I commute abot 50 miles a week. With pleasure rides, call it 300 miles a month. Imagne my surprise when I got to the wear indicator on the rear tire after only 3 months, or 1000 miles! Not only did I wear the tread down so quickly, the sidewall was also trashed to the point where the tube could stick through! The cent tire lasted longer, but only by about 300 miles.

The good side about this tire is I did not get any flats until the tirewas severely worn. The downside is that it's a heavy tire with poor wear characteristics for a touring tire.

Similar Products Used: Scwalbe marathon. For $10 more, the marathons last twice as long
Rod   Commuter [Jan 29, 2009]
Strength:

Incredibly puncture resistant. Comfortable ride at 32c. Good tread for packed trail riding. Great winter tire.

Narrow center tread design gets caught in pavement grooves, throwing off steering. Tires kinda heavy/slow.

I am very impressed with these tires. Am running 70x32c. I put them on in the summer on my commuter bike, and initially thought they were too heavy and a bit slow. The tread design kept sidetracking my steering whenever I hit a continues groove (like brick paving surfaces).
But as a winter tire, they excel. They have the right amount of tread and rubber compound to grip in most conditions. I rode through loose dirt, packed trails, lots of pavement and even slushy snow, and they held on. Most impressively, I haven't had a single flat on them, over 2500kms; riding over all sorts of nasty road debris, in all weather.
Summary: Great for winter or packed trails, but run a narrower version or lighter tire in the summer.

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe Marathon, Bontrager Satellite, Racelite, Panaracer, OEM generic junk