Continental Ultra 3000 Tires - Clincher

Ultra 3000

This Racing/Sport tire defines a new class. The Ultra 3000 with its slick tread for exceptional grip.

James Bradley   Road Racer [Apr 21, 2011]
Strength:

Durable and seemingly puncture proof.

Best tires I have ever owned

Telemarketer   Commuter [Jun 14, 2006]
Strength:

Only seems suitable for hot-weather, smooth asphalt, hi-psi budget spinning. And maybe the new ones are different?

Tread material was made for low resistance, high grip.. so it's hard and sheds, too much silica probably. It had low mileage and a narrow temperature margin makes it practically slick in the cold/wet. My 650 wire bead model was heavy and less like a casing and more like a hoop, it was shifty on the rim and nightmarish with low psi due too overly tall paper-ish sidewall.

My OEM 650c tri-bike came with these and I was not impressed. They have have long L-shaped slot treads instead of the short curved ones I am seeing in all the ads. Anthracite grey w/ black sidewalls. Maybe they were from an earlier year.

Similar Products Used: Continental Grand Prix (actually a great value)
Oldteen   Recreational Rider [Jan 04, 2006]
Strength:

Smooth ride, decent grip while it lasted

Wears and cuts too easily.

OK tire, but seems delicate. After only 250mi on typical US suburban roads (pretty smooth), rear tire had obvious wear spots & cuts. Junked tire due to a cut through the casing. I expect more life from a tire.

Similar Products Used: Vredenstein, Ritchey, Maxxis, Kenda
marcel   Road Racer [Sep 11, 2004]
Strength:

Good performance from the Continental Ultra 3000 en lasted fairly long i think.

Just started to ride. I don't know what you can't expect after 3800 km!

The Koga Miyata Bike is a great Bike to ride. The tires who goes aloang with the bike are Continental ultra 3000 tires. After 3800 km in 10 month's they were worn out. Now I use Continental Grand Prix (C-145) (EUR 16.95).

Similar Products Used: Grand Prix (using these tires at the moment)
GordieHowe   Recreational Rider [Sep 05, 2004]

Tire performance was fine, but they didn't last long. I probably got 400 miles out of them before I strted getting major cuts completely through the tire.

little eldred   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2004]
Strength:

Can pump them up to 140 lbs. no problem

These are the best tires I have ever had. I was riding on Contenental super sonics -- way to many flats. These tire roll just as well as the super sonics and no flats yet - after 600 kms.

Similar Products Used: Continental super sonics -- without the flats
nonotatall   Commuter [Jun 09, 2004]
Strength:

The newer ones have great puncture resistance, are fast, and long lasting.

The older ones had weak sidewalls which may also be a problem with the new ones (fraying). I've never felt as secure as I did on my vittorias when cornering in the wet but they were slower and more expensive, a fair trade.

These tyres came with my older 2001 R600 and then they were awful and I ditched them after only about two weeks. They seemed to have absolutely no puncture resistance and poor grip and the sidewall was somehow terminally injured. I moved to schwalbe which I also did not like and then settled on Vittorias which I did like. However, that bike was stolen ;-( and I got the 2003 model on Insurance which also had the same conti Ultra3000s on it. I tried to get the shop to exchange them but the were uncooperative and so I was all ready to order some more vittorias for when the sidewalls gave out. That was a year ago. These tyres have been great, I have had only 3-4 punctures in a year on London's glass strewn streets and these punctures were nothing that any tyre would have managed, e.g. pins or large glass fragments. I am now replacing them as the tread is thinning and the sidewalls a fraying a little. Continental must have changed their manufacturing method/rubber formula or else I had 2 from a dodgy batch before but now I'd say these tyres are great, especially for the price.

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe, Vittoria
notryt   Triathlete [Apr 15, 2004]
Strength:

the best clincher for the price.. certainly not the best tire. punture resistant with goot wet or dry traction

side walls arent as strong as Serfas tires (IMHO Serfas have the best side wall integrity of any tire.. they just dont split crack or fray)

These tires may not be the best.. $12 a piece think about it... but for the 12 bux they are worth it. I ride about 3000 miles from april-sept and if you go through 2 sets of tires or more these are great for the last set you install for the season. They are truely puncture resistant. and at 115 psi they better be stiff.. anone who complains about stiffness at this pressure is not fairly evaluating the tire. this tire has excellent wet and dry traction. as good as michelin axial pros ( my first choice for a good cheap high performance tire.

Similar Products Used: geez.. michelin pro axial pro, Sefas,specialized (many versions)Continental,
davy crockett   Road Racer [Feb 02, 2004]
Strength:

Hi mileage for me.

Perhaps the sidewalls are a little delicate, but with 2200 miles, I can't complain.

these came stock and have lasted over 2,200 miles. I am 173 lbs. and raods are fairly smooth, although I do daily ride over a 500 yards dirt and gravel path. SIdewalls have started to fray--perhaps from rocks, so I am replacing them. Had one flat on the front, but have noticed some gouges in the tread area where they have at least resisted some puntures/flats.