Continental Ultra Race Tires - Clincher

Ultra Race

The race orientated tread and the quick and comfortable 60 tpi casing plus puncture protection emphasizes your technical demands.

JP   Recreational Rider [Jan 29, 2015]
Strength:

Grippy, smooth, tough

Need higher pressures, like hanging onto debris

These tyres came fitted with my new road bike in 2013 and after several thousand kilometres of training, I had to replace them before a big event ride. Despite riding on roads ranging from excellent to upper crap, they held up well and only suffered one let-down. This happened to be a pinch flat, caused by the valve going loose, so we can say it wasn't the tyre's fault. I was upset that I wasn't able to find exact replacements, so had to settle for other Continentals (still very good, though) and a different brand (pinch flat city). I can now be happy that I've found some Ultra Race tyres, again and will have the confidence to get around corners a little more quickly, as well as not lose grip when climbing; something these liquorice straps are very capable of. On the down side, this grip means that debris tends to hang on that little bit longer and if it's sharp enough, then expect a higher chance of punctures, although keeping the pressures high will also reduce this. In most situations, I would happily have grip over toughness but these tyres have shown that they are both and value for money, they are very good but a little hard to find. I would also recommend using a tube puncture sealant, like Slime, just in case.

Similar Products Used: Continental 4000s
Panos   [Dec 22, 2013]
Strength:

Low cost, durable, a few flats only

Front tire "likes" debris

Seems that after 8.000 km it's time to replace them. Had only 2 flats in the first 7.300 km but 2 flats in the last 700 km. Probably I should have replaced them earlier. Perhaps combination of high pressure (110-120 psi) and self sealing tubes helped me to avoid flats. Not sure though how much self sealing tubes contributed to that. Also I do inspect weekly each tire and patch with super glue big cuts. Front tire is a debris "magnet", therefore it is not recommended to use ultra light inner tubes.
Overall these tires are not something special, or bad. Just an average set of durable training set for everyday use, with low cost.

SNS1938   [Sep 24, 2013]
Strength:

Nice ride, good grip, easy to mount/dismount.

Have virtually no puncture protection. I used first in winter, but after one week of 5 mile commutes and three punctures, I put them aside for summer riding. Next time I got them out, two punctures in two rides. I put them away again, waited a few months, then thought I'd give them another go, and a puncture on the first ride.

My other tyres (Conti Gator Skins, Conti Attack, Conti Force, Specialized Armadillo), between them all and over riding 20 times as far, have only had one puncture.

Do not buy! There are many other tyres out there that will ride as nice, last as long (if not longer), and NOT puncture so easily. I'm gong to try to ride them into the ground and then throw them away and go back to Gator Skins for Autumn/Spring, Michelin Pro Race 3 / 4 for summer, Conti Attack/Force for racing and Specialized Armadillo for winter.

Felt Rider   [Aug 27, 2013]
Strength:

Continental brand name. Easy to find. Easy to mount. Seemingly low cost.

Very very soft feel. Picks up road debris.

I wouldn't call these "race tires" at all. Continental misnamed these for whatever reason. These are training tires. I like tires with alot more feel and these feel so cushy that I worry regularly if they're going flat or not. I ride at least 110-120 psi and inflate before every ride and have found the rolling resistance on these to be disappointing. The front actually did flat once as it picked up a staple and a shard of glass right in the same place. The glass didn't penetrate and only one of the legs of the staple went into the inner tube. That being said the tires offer so little feedback that I could not really sense what happened until it completely deflated. (I usually know right away). But the fix was easy. So that makes me undecided as to whether I'd buy them again.

austincrx   [Aug 09, 2013]
Strength:

Good traction, light weight, easy to mount/dismount on rims

wears quickly

The name says it all 'RACE'. These are just that, race tires. Don't buy these to train on, they wear quickly due to the soft rubber compound, but this increases cornering grip, which you want in a race tire. Especially good for criteriums and road races with winding descents, these tires 'stick' better, but are not a sticky compound like a race tire for a race car. I probably got 400 miles out of them before they wore through to the cords.

Patrick   [Jan 06, 2013]
Strength:

lets see... They roll. I have probably put 2500 miles on them and they are about ready to be replaced. I like the feel. It is my 1st carbon fiber high end bike so I am no aficionado. I am a northeast rider so they roads are um, bad. Pot holes, glass debris and such. They haven't ripped apart.

Flats, flats, and more flats. I guess the sloppy roads don't help. Also, sluggish in high heat conditions.

Overall a good value I guess. Keep spare tubes with you at all times, at all times!

arai_speed   [Mar 02, 2012]
Strength:

Grip, smooth.

No puncture protection at all.

This tires came with set of new wheels I purchased. After 150 miles I got my first flat tire. As others have mention, the tires are very soft which is good for grip but really bad for picking up crap from the road. The tires don't inspire confidence at all when so be sure to have a spair tube with you at all times. On perfectly clean roads the tires perform as race tires should, grippy, good rotation and smooth.

chuck   Triathlete [Aug 31, 2011]
Strength:

Performance was good.

durability lacked

Bought these tires as a cheaper alternative to the 4000's. Had no problems with wet/dry/cornering/etc. However, at about 200 miles the tire was squared off...this is a bad thing. I air up before every ride to 110 PSI and weigh 180lbs. At about 600 miles, the purple low tread indicator began to show through all around the riding surface of the tire. I ride on good enough roads and dont lock up the brakes. I honestly expected more mileage, as the front tire is fine. Maybe I should have rotated every 150 miles. On the bright side I never had a flat, fishtail, or any negative result. I am 30 years old and can hang with most ppl here in south FL.

depitt6   Commuter [Jun 20, 2011]
Strength:

Long lasting, smooth ride, flat resistant

None for a commuting tire

Came on my new bike. Have put >5,000 miles on the original set. Tires ride smooth which is good for Northern Michigan where roads are so bad. Maybe not the fastest rolling, but they last. Ride 18 miles round trip to work almost every day (depending on weather) including winter; only 1 flat. Agree with other reviewers to keep the pressure high and that the tires do pick up stones.