Hutchinson Equinox Tires - Clincher

Equinox

Hutchinson Equinox Kevlar Bead Tire 700 x 23c: Great Road training tire with a droplet profile for improved grip. Dual compound rubber with Kevlar ProTech puncture shield. 33 tpi casing.

Tom Morch   [Aug 22, 2016]
Strength:

non

too easy to get a flat.

first time out on a brand new racer, I had a flat. Used new Equinox tires and they didn´t last 15 miles. Gotta get Schwalbe for the future. Hate those flats.

john c   [Jul 12, 2013]
Strength:

Look good

Flimsy, slow

Bottom line, I bought one of these tyres last night to replace my Vittoria fortezza which had given me 1000'a of miles of service, hopped on the bike this morning looking forward to trying out my new tyres. Over a twenty mile commute on good roads I lost nearly 2mph off my average and when I arrived into work there was a split in the tyre wall. Now I don't claim to be the best cyclist in the world, but I've been at it long enough to know that the results speak for themselves. In truth, there's only one word to describe these tyres but, unfortunately i wouldn't be allowed to post it on this site. Its back to the shop for me I'm afraid.

Dave Binks   [Jun 10, 2012]
Strength:

cheap - €16.90 (£14 stirling) in Decathlon in France.
Easy to fit without being sloppy, grip as good as any others.
Light - only 250g

sidewalls a little thin,

I have bought these when in France (see the price from Decathlon) and done thousands of miles on them. I can't honestly say I have noticed any difference between these and more expensive Michelins, but possibly these give a slightly harder ride, but that may be because they don't seem quite as fat as the same same size (700 x 23) Michelins.

Like any tyre, they are only as good as the next broken bottle you ride over!

I've just bought another at only 75% the cost of the next one above it on the rack, and will do so again.

Andrew   Recreational Rider [Jun 07, 2012]
Strength:

Durability, grip, price

None so far

I read the older reviews here and I'm amazed that other people don't like these tires. I'm a newer rider and I picked up the equinoxes for ultra cheap on bonktown before they went out. I was building a bike and figured why not, they were cheap. They haven't let me down yet. Had some trouble getting one on, but I think that's my fault. I typically ride 100psi f/ 120 psi rr, and no flats after ~10 rides so far. I get great grip and plenty of cornering confidence, and I don't see any signs of significant or unexpected wear. I really couldn't ask for more from a pair of tires, but I'm not so concerned with weight or top speed, so maybe that's a factor?

Similar Products Used: None
johnnymellow   [Jun 01, 2012]
Strength:

No problems in 2.5 seasons

Can't think of any

I've put 5900kms on these tires. They came new on my road bike. I run them at 120psi. I'm 140lbs. I ride on varied road surfaces from smooth pavement, gravel, broken and cracked ashphalt. I've had them out in massive downpours of rain. I've never had an issue with these tires ever. Now they are starting to show some minor cracking in the sidewalls and I can't really read "Equinox" on the sidewall. Time for replacements. I'll try some Conti's just to compare but at close to twice the price I'm not sure you can beat this value. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

John Bowen   Recreational Rider [Oct 25, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, easy to install, relatively light

Cheap, rear wheel drift on wet surfaces.

These tires came with my Tommaso Volo, bought 16 months ago. I've ridden the bike for 4,800km with these tires in Vancouver area, Palm Springs and the back roads and hills of Tuscany. I had low expectations for them, given their low price and generally poor reviews. But they held up well and probably still have several hundred miles left on them. I had three punctures (two near Palm Springs). I think I've been lucky, but am not tempting fate - just installed Gaterskins.

Similar Products Used: Continental Gaterskins (folding)
capasbiker   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2011]
Strength:

bad tires

worst tires

i set up my wife's bike on hutch equinox. she used it for about 10 short rides totalling less than 100kms. most of the time, it was hung at the rack. when i prepped the bike in the evening, i noticed the front tire was flat. when i examined the tire, the carcass gave way and there were huge cracks on the sidewall. i read the bad reviews but ignored them. do not buy this kind of tires.

Similar Products Used: hutch fusion 2 tubeless, kenda kaliente pro, conti gp4000
thewoody1   Recreational Rider [May 01, 2011]
Strength:

Decent wear, weight, rolling resistance and price.

Don't have cool factor.

I can't agree with most of the reviews I have read. I have used these tires for about 2000 miles and have been extremely pleased with them. The weight is less than what I have seen claimed (210 gm) and do not have good cross experience with many other tires. The previous tires I used on the bike where Maxxis Zenith, also decent tires. These tires roll as well as they did. I have had only one flat with these tire. The only reason I gave them a 4 on value is because I bought them from lbs and paid more for them, they can be purchased very cheap on the internet.