Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless Tires - Clincher

Intensive Tubeless

The Hutchinson Intensive is an ultra long distance tire with a thermoplastic reinforced compound that improves wear and performance without decreasing grip.  Tubeless design allows for lower pressures80-90 psi recommended for increas...

james   Recreational Rider [Oct 12, 2016]
Strength:

soft ride

expensive, poor durability

I've had my intensive tires for just over a year with 2500 miles on them. I'm an average rider and my bike is kept inside my house where it's neither exposed to the elements or heat. To say the least, I was disappointed when I discovered my tires had developed cracking and dry rot at the seam on the sidewall just above the rim. Luckily I caught it before a ride when airing up my tire, as needed to be done daily with these. It frightened me what could've happened had this front tire ripped while on downhill descent. This is my first pair of tubeless, prior to this I ran with 23c gatorskin clinchers that never gave me an issue riding here in the desert southwest Arizona. No dry rot, no punctures, no sidewall tears. I had decided to try the tubeless, hearing it was the "new best thing" offering better rolling resistance and more comfortable ride. The latter of which is true. Would be a great tire but for its construction flaw at $90 a tire.

Lantern Rouge   Road Racer [Feb 26, 2016]
Strength:

These are among the worst tires I have used in over forty years of cycling. There is little to recommend them -- they don't do anything well or even mediocrely.

These tires lack traction, especially in the rain, do not wear well (they developed large cuts after about a hundred miles), are impossible to mount or remove from the wheel, and never wear in -- that new tire, mold release feeling never goes away. Furthermore, even when properly installed by the top shop where I live, they don't hold air well and regularly need to be refitted and refilled with sealant. I corner well enough that a friend who raced professionally respects my skills, yet these tires make any descent terrifying. In fact, these tires convinced me to abandon the whole tubeless experiment.

Just avoid them. There is nothing to recommend these tires -- they provide sub-par traction when dry and are positively treacherous in the rain.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Pro (1,2), Vittoria (Diamante, Open Corsa CX), Maxxis Padrone, Continental 4Seasons, Vredstein, Specialized Roubaix, ...
Joshua1918   [Sep 06, 2012]
Strength:

Not sure yet

Skinny!

I have not had a chance to ride these yet as I just mounted them. Mounting was fine. I purchased these tires specifically because they were 25c. I already have and love the F3's but wanted to try the latest wider craze plus I'm over 200 pounds. The Intensive 25c measures below 23c and is narrower then the 23c F3 I took off the bike! I'm sure these tires will ride fine but I'm disappointed in the labeling.

new2rd   [Aug 01, 2012]
Strength:

Good grip, soft ride, and excellent durability.

A little expensive

I just replaced my Intensive tires with a new set after 3,500 miles without a single puncture! That's right, I never had to stop on the road and fix a flat. I run these at 90 psi and could probably go lower (I weight 165). I knew the tires were reaching the end of their life with tons of small cuts and the middle was fairly flat and worn out. I ended up getting a back tire puncture, but never stopped and got to the house 3 miles later with probably 20 psi. At the bikeshop, the mechanic filled it back up. The sealant did it's job, but I knew it was a good time for some new rubber.

dekindy   [Jul 31, 2012]
Strength:

Good ride, durable, and easy to mount and inflate if you follow the proper technique. Primary reason I switched is the stiffer sidewalk and lower possibility of tire coming off the rim during a blowout. Buddy just had a wreck due to a front tire regular clincher blowout and tire locked up in the forks causing him to wreck instantly. Stan's did not seal two punctures but Caffelatex sealed a recent puncture and retained enough air that I could finish the last few miles of a ride without having to deal with a flat on the road.

Prices have increased dramatically in 2012 as msrp is now close to $100 but since I get 3,000 miles on an Intensive rear, which is twice the mileage of a 4000s I am not complaining yet. Tires do cut but unless the casing is compromised it is only cosmetic so do not worry about it. Changing tire with sealant while on the road is messy.

A riding buddy that is very technical was quick to adopt road tubeless and also purchased the first generation 7800sl Dura Ace road tubeless specific rim. I watched as they worked well for him and purchased the second generation 7850sl in 2009 so I have 3 years experience. I have had two tires puncture on their initial ride which is very bad luck as I have only had 4 punctures in the last 3 years and I ride 4,000 outdoor miles per year. The first tire puncture was fairly high on the sidewall and patch held for 3,000 miles without incident. Second patched tire has held s psatch for over 2,000 miles and also has a second patch that is holding well. You can use any patch but be sure to use the Hutchinson glue. Since front tires last so long I installed Fusion 3 on the front to see if ride is even better. So far cannot tell a big difference and sure like the Intensive durability. As far as installation, if you make sure the bead is sealed around the stem and work both beads into the middle of the rim the tires will inflate with a floor pump. Have changed two tires on the road and have not experienced the difficulties others have indicated; I have weaker than average hands and used to have great difficulty installing any bicycle tire before I learned the proper technique.

M. Rose   Recreational Rider [Sep 05, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing ride quality--nothing short of transformative
No flats w/sealant
Great traction in dry or wet
Comfortable
Hardly look used after 1200+ miles

Price--a bit steep, but will come down with more adopters
Difficult to mount

Moved to Road Tubeless after getting tired to flats. The difference in ride quality from the Conti, Vittoria and Michelin tires I'd used before was amazing--almost like moving to a new frame or bike material. Road feel was better than tubed tires, and traction was plenty good in the rain or dry. These aren't true 25mm tires, but they are more comfortable than 700x25 tubed tires by far. And, riding the same roads with lots of road debris, I have not had a single flat--using these tires and Caffelatex sealant. I am sold, and never going back to tubed clincher tires. They are really that darned good!