Maxxis Overdrive Tires - Clincher

Maxxis Overdrive Tires - Clincher

The Maxxis Overdrive was created to meet the demands of the European trekking market, the Overdrive has a grooved slick design for all-weather application, as well as Kevlar? belt technology to provide excellent protection from encounters with road debris

[Sep 07, 2018]
NoGoodUsernamesLeft

Strength:

Bought a pair of 700 x 35 Overdrive's several years ago to replace a pair of stock kenda's thatcame with my Raleigh Misceo 1.0 and wore out after just 3000km. My inexperience really shone, because I was stunned by how much better the Excels rolled, my average speed was 2kmh faster, and the tread did not seem to wear quickly. I've done about 5000km on mine, mostly done on sealed roads, and the tread looks about only half worn. I've changed tyres to Schwalbe G-one's partly because I like to change stuff, and partly because I felt the rolling resistance had increased slightly- maybe I should blame my fitness and legs :-). I've used the Overdrives on my Raleigh hybrid, and my GT Transeo 2.0 hybrid. Only had one puncture.

Could be faster?

Purchased:
New
[May 31, 2017]
Genadiy

Strength:

Excel version - good speed, comfort, super weight for a touring tyre without compromises with protection - very strong

no any

I'm now on Overdrive Excel 35C for exactly 10 000 km (1,6 years,1 puncture), just amazing performance. Anything you need for a touring - comfort, good speed,/roling/ not dam heavy and strong protection. All in all very nice balance between all, and they just go and go...on road, on rocky terrain in the mountains good grip too as cyclo, not good for mud, still the rear one have enough life for at least 5-7k more!
Was before them on Overdrive version (Kevlar belt) 35C for 7000km (1,9 years) , felt a bit more comfort, seemed a bit weak than Excel, several punctures, rear one went totally out of use for these 7k...
Very disapointed by Continental before that, Kenda - so so..., Schwalbe Kojak - 5000k on touring before smashing, good rolling but not exactly a touring tyre. Anyway fine product from Schwalbe for its purpose.

[Apr 25, 2016]
SimonP

Strength:

Puncture proof. Roll very smoothly and quickly. Rolling resistance seems very low.

Perfect touring tyre and now fitted to my Surly. Soak up the road shock but roll surprisingly quickly. In fact not noticeably any slower than the 32mm slick tyres I had on before, even though I've also had to change my inner tubes for 35-43mm compatible ones. Exceptionally smooth ride and the perfect balance between speed and comfort for touring.

[Mar 21, 2011]
B Grande

Strength:

Durability, ride comfort, low rolling resistance

Hardness can make them a bit slippery in the wet, until you get used to them.

Have commuted for 14 000km on a single set of these and just due for a change now. Very comfortable, long wearing, clean shards out periodically and they do not let you down. Excellent product

[Jun 01, 2009]
Mark Lebowitz

Strength:

Smooth, quiet ride. Reasonably good puncture protection. Reflective sidewalls are more effective than wheel reflectors at making you visible at night.

Only 700c size is 700x35c, but the ETRTO size of 622-37 indicates that they're actually a little wider. That can be problematic if your bike has fenders, as mine does. Narrow grooves in tread tend to pick up debris like glass shards, which eventually work their way through the Kevlar belt and cause flats.

I bought these tires as an inexpensive alternative to the Continental CityContact and Schwalbe Marathon Plus - both commuter and touring tires with mild tread, reflective sidewalls and Kevlar belts. I only ride on pavement, so I wasn't concerned with off-road performance.

Continental CityContact and Panaracer Pasela TG

[Oct 12, 2008]
scattered73

Strength:

Durability, puncture protection, great city tire.

Emailed Maxxis twice with question never got a response so lame customer service.

This is an excellent city tire. I have hundreds of miles on these and have yet to flat with them. The one thing that really suprised me is it actually corners really well on pavement. Very little wear on them so far. I have taken them on pretty much all types of terain and it does pretty good on all, except mud though I wouldn't really expect it to. This product 100% lived up to what I was expecting out of a city tire. Not the fastest rolling tire but what would you expect on 700x38 but I only seem to lose a 1-2 mph at cruising speed.

[May 29, 2006]
Julian

Strength:

Light, grippy for street use.

Tires take time to 'stretch' & seat properly when new. Need to re-fit them a few times.

(26x1.75 Over Drive @ 3.4bar) The Kevlar belt really works in stopping road rubbish. Got home with a 5mm piece of metal stuck just off centre in one of the grooves. It was well 1-2mm in the tire. Pulled it out. NO Puncture!

[Jun 11, 2004]
bsb2182

Strength:

These tires are very durable, not too heavy, and perform quite well on the road. Their internal kevlar belt seems to do a great job of preventing punctures, as I've ridden through numerous patches of broken glass with no flats. Their light tread pattern holds the ground fairly well in light-duty, off-road trail conditions, including some modest hill climbing and descending on hardpack. They ride through light to moderate mud fairly well, if you keep the bike in a low gear under steady pedaling, but will slip if you apply too much power.

They do not provide a great deal of braking traction going down hills on hardpacked dirt. They have a habit of getting "stuck" in sand. They do NOT provide good cornering traction off-road (don't even try to turn at the bottom of a dirt hill... you'll regret it).

This is a solid city/touring and light-duty off-road tire. I've ridden these tires about 200km so far, I've been very pleased with them overall. I bought these tires as a replacement for the IRC Mythos tires that came on my mountain bike (excellent general purpose off-road tires, by the way), since I currently ride approximately 75% road and 25% off-road. My road riding is largely done within the city, with all of the attendant hazards (broken bottles, uneven sidewalks, potholes, etc.), and my off-road riding is done in large parks/forested areas with hardpacked dirt, treeroots, some sandy and muddy spots, and some modest hills. I was looking for a durable tire that would perform well on the road, and at least reasonably well in light-duty, off-road applications, and this tire fits the bill fairly well. If I could make one improvement on this tire, it would be to add somewhat deeper tread at the edges of the tire, in order to increase cornering traction off-road.

IRC Mythos XC; dedicated road tires on my road bike