Maxxis Xenith Tires - Clincher

Xenith

Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie 700x23c

Hyjanks   Recreational Rider [Mar 21, 2014]
Strength:

Light in weight. Good rolling resistance.

Sidewall blowouts on both tires.

A set of these tires came with my Fezzari road bike. After about 800 miles, the rear tire contorted into this "S" shape, covering about 2" of the tire. I noticed it when it began to rub against the break block. Then there was a clicking sound. Then the side blew out. I had to call my wife to pick me up about ten miles from home.
I sent it in for a replacement, and they sent one right away. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened with the other tire (mounted on the front) a couple weeks later.
The tires were never abused. I ride on smooth roads. I never inflate more than 100 psi and I weigh 150 pounds, so nothing I did caused these defects to occur.
I sent this tire to Maxxis telling them I will not accept another Xenlth tire and that they should send me a different model. I indicated that I would send the other tire they sent as a replacement previously so they would send me a pair of new tires.
I haven't heard from them at this point, but be sure I'll NEVER buy another Xenlth tire and I'll tell my road riding buddies of my experience with them.

Peter   [Aug 05, 2012]
Strength:

Soft and great for cornering, put 1000 miles before needing change

When breaking hard face surface of tire grated a flat spot on tire,, when spokes were tuned up and tire was removed and reinstalled side wall of tire stretched and a bulge in sidewall made me replace the tire.

Great tire for smooth paved roads grabs like no other tire I've used. I would recommend only using for race type of riding. In the 1000 miles used no issues with punctures. Breaking hard will destroy this tire in a heart beat!

Mantus   Recreational Rider [Apr 15, 2012]
Strength:

Low weight,Low rolling resistance.

Not suitable for everyday use.

They were on my Merida bike as stock tires.It was only 10 km test ride and...PSHHHHH.Puncture.Of course they were on high pressure(9.5 bars).
This tires are suitable for indoor use or perfect roads only.
Model:Maxxis Xenith Equipe Legere.

rob   Commuter [Jul 05, 2011]
Strength:

nice ride, low roll resistance, great grip

expensive

Good tire, especially the grip in wetsnow

Similar Products Used: conti gatorskins
rundru   Triathlete [Jul 18, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent grip on cornering, roll nicely, 130 psi, cheap

Puncture through the top part, causing internal damage

I bought a pair of these tires in the summer of 2003 and used them on by secondary bike (ICE). They were a huge improvement from my really old, really stock tires from a cheap Trek bike (I have no idea what they were). The Maxxis look good, rolled nice, and are great for cornering. Just lean into a corner a little and they grab and pull you right around. However, after about 300 miles I got a 1/4" gash through the meaty part of the tire, right on top. I haveno idea what I hit. I was on a smooth paved path, but obviously there was something. The tire cut, but then a wire or something from the tire itself (like the ply or tpi threads or something) poked down and popped my tube. And I can't find any way to repair the tire since it's an internal problem and not embedded debris. I won't be buying any more Maxxis.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Pro Race
freddye   Road Racer [Jul 03, 2003]
Strength:

Good puncture resistance. Grip well. Inexpensive. Look good.

Some cracking of the sidewall rubber after 3 months of 1000 km /month use but this is more aesthetic.

I have been quite impressed with these tires especially their puncture resistance. The first flat on the front tire was after 1600 km and the rear only after 2800 km !! I often ride around the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) where unfortunately there is a lot of beer bottle glass and have yet to have a puncture due to glass with these tires. Although the stated max pressure on the tire is 130 psi, I run typically 105-110 psi but top off my tire pressure every couple of days of riding. They grip well in sharp turns but I have yet to ride them in the rain.

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Hutchinson
zreuben   Recreational Rider [Apr 23, 2003]
Strength:

Don't know. May be the nice color ?

Low puncher resistance. Cut to easaly. Had to replace it after only 800Km.

Came on the bike. Good grip, good rolling resistance. Looks good - like the colors - black center line, orange side. Road them for 800Km. Had 4 punchers, about 10 minor cuts, and one penetrating side cut (inner tube was visable)- hade to replace it... :( Don't like the idea of replacing a product after one month of usage !

Similar Products Used: None- I'm new on the road (Done MTB before)
dinorider   Road Racer [Jul 26, 2002]
Strength:

Fast, grippy in the corners. Nice tire for racing or fast group rides on smooth clean roads.

Puncture resistance not great. A small cut esily went through the carcass of the tire effectively turning it to scrap.

The Maxxis Xenith tire is fast, grippy, low rolling resistance. Puncture resistance is not great.

cgrieves   Commuter [Jun 13, 2002]
Strength:

Grip, light weight, good looks.

Can't find any replacements in the uk....

Good tyres, plenty of grip, even in the wet. Stable. Lightweight and foldable. Rolling resistance feels very low. Good looks (I used the black centre tread/grey side tread/black sidewall type). Also nice bright logos on the sidewall. My rear tyre ended up with a massive piece of glass in it, which meant I had to bin the tyre. I wouldn't have expected any 700x23 tyre to resist that bit of glass though, as it left a one centimetre hole. There were several other small pieces of debris in the tyre that had failed to penetrate and cause a puncture, so I guess puncture resistance is fairly good. The tyre can feel pretty harsh when you approach 120psi. Only problem is, I can't find Xenith tyres anywhere in the UK.