Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige Tires - Clincher

Hi-Lite Prestige

Dual compound racing and training tire

Pete   Triathlete [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

Great corner grip, very little sidewall flex in the corners, incredibly fast on smooth blacktop and downhill.

Extremely difficult to get onto my rim, harsh ride on anything but smooth blacktop (but they are 700x20 so you should expect a little of that), can't find them in 23c.

Years ago I replaced my stock tires (700x23) with some 700x20 and found these on sale. I run them with about 140psi rear and 127psi front. Most of my training rides now are on some steep Colorado mountains, 4-8% average grades over 4-10miles. When it's on super smooth blacktop these tires are incredible; easy to spin and fast. But, on uphills with anything less than ideal road surfaces, the resistance is noticeable and is making me want to change back to 23c. These tires stick to the road on the downhill though, the softer side really grips when you lean hard into some tight corners.

At first I had issues with frequent flats with these tires. Some of those are my own fault with pinch flats while putting the tire on. The tire is extremely hard to get onto my 32 spoke wheelset, often have to use the tire wrenches to get it back on. But I've learned that if I get through the first 50 miles without a flat then I'm not likely to be getting one. One thing that I've had to do is make sure the psi never drops below 80 if I don't use the bike for a couple days. Tubes naturally lose air sitting around, if I don't maintain the pressure a little even if I can't get out on the bike, then the gremlins will give me a flat.

I'm planning on going back to 23c, but love these tires and am hesitant to give them up. BTW I'm 5'9", 170lbs

wac   Recreational Rider [Jul 10, 2006]
Strength:

Grips well and very stable at speed. Seems to wear pretty well after 400 miles of warm weather riding.

2 flats in a month, and I'm only 135 lbs. Now I have to be extra vigilant for rocks while on flats and going downhill.

These tires look similar and ride very similar to the much more expensive Michelin Ironman Pros. However, I was disappointed at getting two rear flats from riding over 3/4" diameter rocks that never would have bothered the Ironman Pro or the Michelin Hi-Lite Synergic. They were also a pain to mount for the first time, as I punctured two tubes while trying to stretch the folding bead over Bontrager rims. I would have given 5 of 5 stars if I didn't have those two flats.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Ironman Pro, Continental
asianarnold1   Road Racer [Nov 30, 2005]
Strength:

No flats, good cornering, can take a beating.

none so far.

Got these tires brand new for free, when i bought my AC 420's. Great feel and very flat resistent. I've gone over 2500 miles without a flat! then finally, i rode over a nail that went thru sideways. After that, no flat since(another 300 miles). I always make sure i pump both tires to max at 120psi before every ride, that is the key. I raced for the first time this year with my new team (shameless plug: LuzViMin http://www.creative-sounds.com/luzviminracing.htm ). Cornering was great, felt confident. Too bad i my lungs and legs could not keep up.

Similar Products Used: Michelin PR. I'll try the Conti GP4000 next.
soulcoughing   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2005]
Strength:

price, longevity, puncture resistance, grip

cornering tread is easily nicked up?

I'm 6'2", 220#. I bought these to ride through the crap of winter and spring. They've made it through nearly 2000 miles now. The cornering compound is soft and has been nicked and gouged, but they have never had a single flat. And they've been ridden through plenty of junk. I've rotated them twice but I think they are almost done. Still, no complaints. They've always felt fine going uphill and confidence inspiring coming down.

Similar Products Used: GP3000's, Mich Axial this and that
back bacon   Triathlete [May 14, 2004]
Strength:

durability and good cornering

I like these tires just fine. They feel great under stress, by that I mean hard cornering or fast descents. Easy on/off.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Carbon Comp Continental
Chuck   Recreational Rider [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing durability and puncture resistance. Good balance of performance, durability, and value. They are hard to beat. I would love to find a good deal on another set.

Outer rubber gouges easily and leaves cuts on the survace. This is why I changed the back tire at 3k miles. However, the cuts don't go all the way through and have never caused me to flat

These are great all around tires for the money. They ride nice, are puncture resistant, and the LAST! I bought a set of 3. I switched the back tire out around 3000 miles due to cuts. I have around 4500 on the front. I have never had a flat yet. I usualy ride in >100 degree weather on rough road. Every native plant in AZ has thorns so I'm amazed I have never had a flat on these.

Similar Products Used: Conti's that came on my Trek 5000 were heavy, didn't grip, and wore out afer about 1200 miles.
nakoosa   Recreational Rider [Jul 16, 2003]
Strength:

They Last! Can get them inexpensively on sale.

not flashy as more expensive tires, but oh well.

These are my "old standby." My first set lasted and lasted, then I decided to try "upgrading" to the Hutchinson Carbon Comp. Air-Light (read review) and was Very sorry, and poorer too! Hi-lites last! they corner fine. they don't wear out. they're a tire you can always count on if what you're riding doesn't do what you want, or what it's supposed to do.

Doug Robello   Recreational Rider [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Durable (for me, at least). Sure cornering, rolls well, pretty comfortable ride. Good value if you buy at closeout price.

Ugly red color (and my bike is red). Not for racing or triathalons - serious gearheads will want something better.

I ride for training (i.e., keep the heart ticking), but reasonably fast, and have had good luck with these tires. Surprisingly durable, considering other reviewers' experiences. >3000 miles on mostly smooth, but occasionally chippy roads, and I am no lightweight (200 lbs). Only one flat in all those miles, and got that on a dirt road that I should not have ridden on. The rear tire is starting to show its age, with some small tears, etc. I am replacing now with a new set of the same.

Similar Products Used: IRC Triathlon, Continental SuperSport
eynht   Recreational Rider [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

cost

durability pucture resistance

Bought these tires because my previous the Bontrager Race X lites had a large gash on the side wall. Rode for about 60 miles and got my first flat. I got 3 other flats after. All together I put on about 175 miles with 4 flats. Returned them to Performance Bike.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race X Lite Currently riding with Continental GP Attack & Force and so far so good
tjconrad   Recreational Rider [Jan 21, 2003]
Strength:

great handling (wet or dry) light weight good durability a great training or entry-level race tire

These tires are incredible for the price, I don't know what people are complaining about. A little heavier but more durable than axial pros, but still very lightweight. The dual compound tread handles solidly in wet or dry conditions; the only thing that limits how far I can lay the bike over is my own fear. As for flat/sidewall issues, every flat I've had has been my own fault (bad rim strip, improperly mounted tube) check your equipment before you ride, it'll save you a lot of trouble. I killed one tire on a huge broken bottle - watch where you're going - but the current set has 3000+ miles and still plenty of wear left. some small scuffs and nicks from hitting tons of broken glass and other crap, but nothing has affected the ride.

Similar Products Used: performance GT - awful...