Michelin Krylion Carbon Tires - Clincher

Michelin Krylion Carbon Tires - Clincher

Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x23c Blk/Red

[Aug 21, 2015]
ken

Strength:

smooth,grippy,durable

side walls

if you weigh 170lbs,the sidewall are weak,you may need a tire with higher psi,this tire was at max psi,sidewalls were still squished a bit.But if you're a weight winnie body wise,this is your tire,P.S. I'm a football player defensive back,but love cycling.recommendations came from several cat 3,4, racers,and LBS fit guru.in all great tire for average weight cyclists,heavier athletes may need beefed up sidewalls,and psi higher than 110-115.

[Nov 22, 2012]
A T

Strength:

Everything

Maybe the grip in rain/water, but have not ridden much in such

Love these tires. Got them for about $30 each. Have put about 1500 miles on them without a flat or any other kind of failure. Not much noticable wear. I have them on my Motobecane RECORD. I weigh about 165 and avg about 18.5 mphs. Have had them on several centruy rides, and a lot of very hot days thru the summer in south Texas. Nothing but positive things to say about them. I would buy them again if they were not out of production.

[Jul 31, 2012]
alba831

Strength:

Durable, puncture resistant, good grip, decent performance in wet (although I don't push it)

A bit heavier than dedicated race tires, but you can still race these no problems.

I'll keep it quick and easy: after trying many different tires over the years, these are what I buy every time now. Decent price, very durable, shed glass and rocks well, and they're performance-driven enough to use the same tires for racing and training. They do it all for me, and they do it pretty darn well.

[Jun 09, 2012]
James

Strength:

Durability. Subtle good looks.

Weight weenies will want something lighter. Not quite as sticky as ProRace3s, but that's why they last longer!

I am a bit surprised reading all the reviewers who had difficulty installing these tires. I put them on by hand on a set of Bontrager RXLs and Aeolus carbon 5.0s with no problem. Count me fortunate. These tires are a great choice for all-around performance and durability without a huge weight penalty that comes with some training tires. I have about 2000 miles on my current set and I am just about ready to replace them. A great value when you consider that you can now find them online for 30 bucks!

Michelin ProRace3s
Continental GP4000
Various Bontrager

[May 26, 2012]
Drew5250

Strength:

Reliable tire that achieves a fine balance of feel, durability, and grip

Frustrating installation

Like most reviewers have noted, these Michelins are extremely difficult to install. It really was more of a process than I anticipated. I chewed up tire levers, popped two tubes (Michelin airstops-switched to bontrager which are tighter fitting to the wheel) and went through a great deal of frustration. I found that a hair dryer really helps with the first installation. I work the tire on with as much as I can with my hands, I then warm up sections of the tire that are more difficult and use levers for the remaining difficult sections. I use my hair dryer on low setting, holding to the tire for about 20 seconds or so, just to increase pliability. Trust me, this will save you lots of time.

Once on, they preform quite nicely. I have yet to get a flat, they hold well in corners, and feel nice for a training type tire. I do not ride in the rain, I cannot comment on their wet performance. I occasionally ride early in the morning, these tires feel less than confident when dew is on the road. I have been told that the first installation is the most difficult, the tire seems to stretch once on the rim. Removing the tire and installation is much easier the second time around.

[Mar 10, 2012]
Sean Ponce

Strength:

A+ on durability, performance and pricepoint!

The blue michelin logo throws off my otherwise perfect color cooridination of white with red and black trim :( sigh! Also is a real pain to install but the tight fit is probably why no pinch flats

To put these things on is like f-ing a fat chick the end result is satisfying but to get there its alot of work! It took me two beers and alot of fingering to get those things wrapped around! They look really clean once you got em on although there was a white residue that needed to be worn off the center tread needed a lap around the block but the sidewalls req'd a scrub with soapy water and sponge. At 1000 miles I havn't had one flat yet..I have tried many a tire in my 5 years of cycling but none meet the overall strengths of these tires; durability, performance and pricepoint. They are good price ($66 pair) perform as well as my ultremo r1's and still show no sign of wear!

[Mar 07, 2012]
Erik Dabel

Strength:

Soon to be determined. Look good!

VERY hard to install. WOW!!

I bought these tires ½ hour ago, and am installing them for the first time now. So I don’t have a performance review just yet, I will update this when I do. Hence the 4 star rating…

However:

I have never experienced a tire so difficult to install. I read other reviews dealing with this same issue, and was expecting some difficulty, but nowhere near what I came up with.

I broke the 1st tire lever I used to install the 1st tire. That has never happened. The 2nd lever now looks like it’s been fed to a pack of dogs.

The issue with the tire levers continued to the tubes as well. BOTH the front and rear tubes were so pinched by the tire that the lever punctured them. Both. That has also never happened before.

I really, really, really hope these tires live up to their good ratings. I dread having this problem out on the road…

Hutchinson Fusion 2, Fusion 2 Kevlar, Specialized Turbo Pro, Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick, Michelin Lithion, Bontrager something-or-other, Forte p.o.s.

[Feb 24, 2012]
IcySmooth52

Strength:

Puncture resistance
Longevity
Traction
Speed

Just not the fastest tire, but that's not the top goal of the design.

These last forever and roll quite fast. I've also never had a flat with them (and have put many, many miles on them). There are tires that'll preform a little better with softer rubber, but they'll last less than half as long as Michelin Krylion Carbon tires.

[Feb 12, 2012]
Pseudo

Strength:

Durable
Fast rolling
Nice color selection

Hard to install

Still no puncture after 3700 kms. Rear tire squaring off.
A bit of a struggle to install.

Bontrager

[Dec 28, 2011]
Knight20

Strength:

Long lasting tire, 12,800 km, 8,000 miles.

I just wore out my first Michelin carbon tire on the rear wheel after 12,800 km or 8,000 miles. I would say my relatively light weight (155 lbs) contributed somewhat to that longevity. Very impressive nevertheless. I experienced the odd puncture over that distance, but it is to be expected with sharp FOD along the roads. My spare carbon tire, also bought for $5, is now on the bike and I just ordered two more tires.

Continental GP 3000