Michelin Lithion Tires - Clincher

Lithion

• Similar performance and looks of a Pro2 Race, but at a value price
  • Slick center with chevron grooved shoulder tread
  • HDC: High Density Casing 60 tpi triple overlapping ply carcass
  • color: dark blue/black
  • width: 23c

• User Reviews (27)

Mick   [Apr 21, 2015]
    Strength:

easy to put on..... to my rims anyway,( Japanese araya) I also have a different set of rims, (ambrosio) and they are very hard to get on and off of those. rim sizes/brands vary so that's probably the difference.

I had a few punctures with them, also they have to be put on the rims carefully and straight otherwise, I found there can be a flat spot on the tyres themselves-the tyre bead has to be even all the way around the rims.

I found them to be good tyres all round

AZGUY   [Mar 15, 2014]
    Strength:

Available at most bike shops.

Impossible to install. Can not imagine trying to install these on the road after a flat tire. Avoid buying these at all costs. Just not worth it!

Cheap is good when it works. These tires were impossible to install. I have several wheels and I was trying to install them on Shimano Ultegra wheels. I worked in a bike shop for 6 years, have been bike racing as a cat 2 racer for over 20 years and I ripped my thumbs off trying to get these on my wheels. Finally gave up. YES I gave up and took them back. Michelin, what the hell are you guys thinking? Did anyone in product development try to install these? Did they try to do in on the road? Guys... you might have a great tire, but if I can't get it on, I will never know.

My recommendation. Flat out! Don't waste your time or money on these. I'm sure some douche bag is going to say something different, but all I can say is I told you so... Don't buy them!

Fit4Life   Road Racer [Jul 17, 2011]
    Strength:

These are light weight. The colors match my bike. No struggles mounting tire.

The sidewall chafes and puntures easily. I got 3 flats in two rides with less than 1200 total miles on them. I want to spend my time riding, not replacing tubes. I doubt these tires would make it through the stresses of racing without flatting or completely blowing out a sidewall.

These tires came with a new set of wheels I bought from an LBS going out of business. I ride very clean roads. My Continental Utra Race did a very good job of deflecting small gravel. Michelin Lithions have a slightly better grip and as they go over small gravel, the gravel chafes and punctures the sidewall. Under perfect conditions as in track, I think the tires would go 2500 miles, but in the real world, you will be spending more time and money replacing tubes than if you had bought better quality tires in the first place.

I haven't tried other Michelin products. The Krilion is supposed to be very durable. Maybe I'll give Michelin another try.

Similar Products Used: Continental Gatorskin (THE BEST)
    Continental Ultra Race (THE BEST)
    Vittoria Rubino Pro (ALSO JUNK)
    Justme   Road Racer [Jul 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Good wear, ride, durability, and cost. Fairly easy to mount with hands.

None so far.

I bought these tires after one that came on my bike new blew the sidewall before I could even get out on the bike. I went to the LBS and found Michelin had a two pack deal for $65, so I figured I give them a try. I have put over 1500 miles on my bike and have replaced only two tires. The first after 900 miles due to wear. The second I ran over a pile of razor blades somebody dropped on the ground while cleaning out their work truck two weeks after replacement. When the rear gets worn, I rotate them, putting the new tire on the front.
    Handling and ride have been great, wear is as hoped, if not better. These tires are easy to mount by hand on my FSA wheel set and stay put. No problems at speed, in the wet or anything. Great allaround tires.

arkj14   Road Racer [Jun 24, 2010]
    Strength:

Very fast for the price. Excellent durability, no flats in two years and never a scary moment!

None really, especially when you consider the price.

These replaced the dreadfully sluggish Zaffiro's that came on my bike when I saw them on a VERY cheap offer. I've had great experiences with Michelin tyres over the years and these have to be one of the best value for money tyres you can buy!

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Zaffiro, Kenda Kriterium, Michelin Krylion (the best), Gatorskins.
    Dick Wilson   Recreational Rider [May 19, 2010]
    Strength:

Good grip, supple ride

Difficult to install

The tires have descent grip for 60 TPI tire. They are very difficult to install. I punctured two tubes trying to install them. My LBS even had a hard time. They said Michelin's were hard to install.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Zaffario
    Robadams56   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2010]
    Strength:

Ride, Durability

Hard to find in LBS

The Lithions came as OEM equipment on my ride. Put over 2,000 miles on them with no flats but finally at about 2,500 I hit a pothole and blew out the rear. On inspection, there were several cuts and the tire had been worn. These are very good tires and ride/corner well. Replaced with the same tire and will continue to do so until I can no longer find them or decide on a different tire.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Rubino
    Scottluebke   Recreational Rider [Apr 02, 2010]
    Strength:

Reliability, performance, aesthetics, durability, very easy to mount and remove. Nothing bad to say.

Got these from a friend at an LBS to replace my 2006 Trek 1500's Bontrager Selects that were flatting every single ride due to thorns. Never had a thorn flat from these. Just replaced the rear after two years due to significant cuts all the way through the casing and regular flats. Still using the front tire. I highly recommend the Lithions. Nothing bad to say about them. However, I did get them at a reduced price because my friend has the employee discount. I've only ridden a few different tires, one being the excellent Michelin Pro Race. I am not a racer; the lithion is just as good for how I ride.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Select 700 x 25, Michelin Pro Race 700 x 23, Vittoria Pro Team HSD23 700 x 23
    MrCrassic   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2010]
    Strength:

Great puncture resistance
    Lightweight
    Little installation difficulty
    Sensibly priced

A little slow.

I'm mixed on these tires. I've raced, trained, rode my Sunday rides and commuted to work (in NYC) with them, and while the front has held up incredibly well, the rear fared a lot worse. I had to replace the front just today after a year (at least 500+ miles) on them, openings and all, but replaced the rear several months prior.

All in all, great all-purpose tires. Pretty lightweight, and easy to install. Not as smooth as the Pro2 Race, but a lot more durable and a chunk cheaper.